PDA

View Full Version : Burr in new NOE 314316

SquirrelHollow
02-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Yesterday, I broke in my new NOE 314316 mold, while mixing an alloy (WW+2%, from lino, pure lead, and a dash of solder).

Once it was ready for some actual testing, things got frustrating. One cavity was giving me fits, and would not release the bullet(s). I could not, for the life of me, figure out what the issue was. I couldn't see any burrs, or other issues.

Eventually, I gave up.

Today, however, I finally found a very small burr on the nose of one mold block, and a microscopic burr not far away.

What will be the best way to remove the burrs without damaging anything?

I know they don't show up well in the images, but the burrs do extend into the cavity.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41246&stc=1&d=1329964046
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41247&stc=1&d=1329964046

crabo
02-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Why didn't you go to Swede first? That's where I would have started.

btroj
02-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Yep. PM Swede, he will make it right.

Ben
02-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Swede won't hesitate. He will take care of you ! !

Ben

madsenshooter
02-23-2012, 12:33 AM
Agreed, couldn't ask for better service. Heck, I got my assets frozen and he's holding onto the check until I get things straightened out. Which should be tmrw, as unemployment is exempt from garnishment. Butthead lawyer was just trying to see if my recent encephalopathy had made me dumb enough to fork over the total amount in my account to him.

runfiverun
02-24-2012, 12:46 AM
al will take care of you no problems.
if it were any other company my magnifying glass and exacto would be coming out followed by a lapping with some flitz/whitening toothpaste mixed.

tomme boy
02-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Al is one of the best there is. He will fix or replace it. Get a hold of him.

stubshaft
02-24-2012, 03:24 AM
Like all or most of the others I would give Al a call.

SquirrelHollow
02-24-2012, 05:10 AM
He's taking care of it. :-P

41 mag fan
02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
I had a problem with a mold from Al. My alignment bushings, had backed out even after seasoning like he recommends.
Pm'd Al, he shot back a pm telling me to send the mold back, and he'd make it right.
But I also had Pm'd him, if there was something I could try, to get them set and he told me what I could do to fix and it worked.
But what really sets Al apart from a commercial set up like Lee, Lyman, RCBS, ect is his pm and I'm sure if I'd talked to him in person was.....
"send it back, we'll make it right " and at the end of his pm "sorry for your troubles"

Just one more reason I'm willing to wait a year for one of his molds.

SquirrelHollow
02-24-2012, 04:59 PM
I actually picked the mold up at his house. He's definitely a nice guy. I'm sure his customer service would be even better in person, than via PM. (Having experience in that area, I know that instant communication is far better for resolving issues, than the delay experienced with PMs, email, etc.)

The unfortunate part of this problem, is that my mold was the last GC/HP from a previous group buy. He also determined that the damage could not be repaired (properly).

I really appreciate Al making it right, but I do feel bad that he had to send me another 2C GC/FP mold, to make up for the one damaged cavity of my HP mold.

Speaking of which.... nothing but praise for Al and USPS for shipping. His local post office logged the shipment in at 6:30 pm, last night. And, it was in my mailbox by noon, today.

Now, I just need to dig up the set of Lee handles I misplaced....