PDA

View Full Version : Mihec mold help

beladran
02-22-2012, 10:12 PM
I have the 38 HBWC. The mold an bullets look awesome I can see no flaws but I can't get them to group worth a flip! I've tried virgin lead,WW, an hard ball. Bullseye, 231, trailboas, and clays. I ALWAYS get fliers. : ( out of all my groups I had one at 50 feet you could cover with a silver dollar. The gun has shot 1 inch groups at 50 yards so I don't think it's the gun.

Anyone done any bullseye work with this bullet ? I need help

Lefty SRH
02-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Are the boolits uniform in weight? Are they the same weight as the boolits that shot the 1" groups? Are they sized the same as the 1" group boolits?

beladran
02-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Same weight an size. I mainly use a H&G73 an 50. But have always heard of How great HBWC's shot .

subsonic
02-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Have you ever shot store bought HBWC before with good accuracy?

What is your load?

Tried 2.7gr Bullseye?

If you push HB too hard/fast you can deform the skirts or rip them off and leave chunks in the gun.

Are your cases deep enough/expanded deep enough to not crush the hollow base?

It takes special deep wadcutter brass to get the most from HBWC.

RCBS makes a special "deep" expander. It's special order and most people get by without it. I have one, but have never got around to trying it out yet with HBWC.

Solid wadcutters shoot with less trouble. I'm not sure what the real advantage is to the hollow bases, unless your gun has funky dimensions and requires obturation.

MtGun44
02-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Can't drive them very hard or they blow out. Just a pussycat load.

Bill

runfiverun
02-22-2012, 10:39 PM
most 38 cases are tapered.
federal [and maybe win] used to sell wad cutter target loads that were very,very good.
thier secret was straight sided brass that didn't deform the boolit when seated that deep.
seat a dummy round and pull it then look at the base.
you might be rolling that hollow base the wrong direction when firing it.
or like was pointed out above your just tearing the base off.
you could also try turning them over and trying a couple of groups.