PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 1903

FWest
02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Picked up a few interesting rifles today, this was the best of the bunch.
A little finger print rust and a couple small dings in the wood but pretty decent. Bore looks great. Anybody have one or have some information(DOM) on this ? Serial # 157**
I think 22 automatic is a obsolete caliber ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/frankwest/IMAG0150.jpg

DieselPro
02-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Beautiful gun. Hate to tell you this but it's probably going to be a wall hanger. Ammo is extremely rare and expect to pay $50+ for a box of fifty. I have yet to find any.
Ammo is referred to as ".22 Win. Auto"

Taylor here on the site has converted one to 22LR. I have one in my possession now that I am going to attempt to convert.

Installing a liner and doing a few other mods may well get one to work. Since my gun is not as clean as yours and has minimal value i am going to try installing a Ruger 10/22 barrel I have on hand. Hopefully if all goes well I can post up some pics of my mod.

Mooseman
02-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Rechambering and ruining an OLD Winchester is just plain WRONG !
Good Lord, shoot something else...Some day ammo may be remade like Centurion did with the 5mm and then buy ammo and shoot it.
Winchester's like that are NO MORE...Never will be.
Please dont mess up a piece of Winchester history...

DieselPro
02-23-2012, 12:30 AM
That's one reason I am going to replace my barrel and if someday the ole Win. 22 Auto comes back I'll put the barrel back on.

I would not reline a Good or better rifle. One that's fair or poor , now that's another story.

If the reline is professionally done I see no reason not doing it if you want to shoot ole Grampa's rifle again. I would suspect converting one over would run $300 to $500 dollars. Not many people are going to do that to a $500 gun.

jh45gun
02-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Lots of old shot out Win and other brand rifles are relined these days. While this one is not shot out it is pretty useless. This whole collector thing with guns is ok but I like guns I can shoot. I would reline it.

FWest
02-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Did some digging around and found the serial # ID's the gun as 1906.

Thanks for the information.

Anyone herd of 32 long ? I have an old Stevens single shot with a lever that does not cock the gun. I think it's rim fire as well.

Larry Gibson
02-24-2012, 12:41 AM
I have some ammunition for that rifle, unfortuneately one of us is on the wrong end of the country.

Larry Gibson

Bent Ramrod
02-24-2012, 05:07 AM
Ammunition of new manufacture is available for the Winchester 03 although it is pricy. Check with the Old Western Scrounger.

I remember reading somewhere that it was not practical to convert an 03 to the equivalent of a 63, the later .22LR version. Not only is the barrel and chamber oversized for the .22 LR, but the arrangement of breechblock weight and spring tension were set up for the recoil energy of the Winchester Automatic cartridge.

historicfirearms
02-24-2012, 09:56 AM
One of the newer Shotgun News had an article on Aguilla ammo. As you know, they produce a lot of interesting rimfire ammo. The article showed a picture of some of the rimfire ammo they make and the 22 Winchester Auto was one of them. This caught my interest because I have always admired the lines of the 1903 but haven't bought one because I don't need any more wall hangers. I've checked with a few retailers and nobody seems to be carrying the 22 Win. Auto ammo. Maybe Aguilla isn't importing it into this country for some reason, or maybe it was a limited production. It sure would be interesting to find out if we could get some.

sbowers
02-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Did some digging around and found the serial # ID's the gun as 1906.

Thanks for the information.

Anyone herd of 32 long ? I have an old Stevens single shot with a lever that does not cock the gun. I think it's rim fire as well.

Nope it is a 1903 the 1906 is a pump rifle.
Steve

gnoahhh
02-24-2012, 12:23 PM
I think he means it was made in 1906.

FWest
02-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I think he means it was made in 1906.

I should have said year of manufacture=1906

DieselPro
02-24-2012, 07:04 PM
John Taylor did the conversion. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=135758

FWest
02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
I posted on a value board and a poster said he thought it was redone. I do not believe it has been. What do you guys think it worth ?