PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lubrimatic?

Revolver
02-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Did RCBS make different something called the Lubrimatic? I'm talking with a local fella who has some old gear he put away a looooong time ago (20-30 years). Does anyone know anything about it and if it takes standard dies, etc? I don't really know much about sizing.

Thanks.

cbrick
02-22-2012, 08:06 PM
The RCBS today is the Lube-A-Matic 2.

I'm not aware of any changes in dies over the years but a quick call to the RCBS 800 number would tell you for sure.

Rick

Mike W1
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Did RCBS make different something called the Lubrimatic? I'm talking with a local fella who has some old gear he put away a looooong time ago (20-30 years). Does anyone know anything about it and if it takes standard dies, etc? I don't really know much about sizing.

Thanks.

Probably the original after they bought Lachmiller out. Should be a good machine and they take either RCBS or Lyman dies.

Revolver
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I want to tear it down, clean it up, and rebuild it since it's caked in 20 year old lube and partially seized. I have the instructions with an exploded view. Any suggestions before I get started (ie: are there any parts that I shouldn't disassemble).

Any seals I should replace?

What works good for removing old old lube?

Bill*
02-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Boiling it out works well I hear

Calamity Jake
02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Take it apart, put the cast body in HOT water to melt the old lube out clean the rest with break parts cleaner or minural spirits.
Order new "O" ringes from RCBS

The first RCBS luber was LAM(Lube-a-matic) not it is LAM II

Revolver
02-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Take it apart, put the cast body in HOT water to melt the old lube out clean the rest with break parts cleaner or minural spirits.
Order new "O" ringes from RCBS

The first RCBS luber was LAM(Lube-a-matic) not it is LAM II

Thanks. A couple more questions if you please...

1. Is the body aluminum or steel/iron? (* EDIT: Just read paperwork, says it's cast iron. *)
2. Are these regular rubber o rings I can just get at the hardware store?
3. What is the difference between the LAM & newer LAM-II, does my LAM have any known issues I should be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

Mk42gunner
02-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Answers:

2. Yes you can get the o-rings at a good hardware store. There are two of them on the plunger, When I called RCBS they sent me ONE free.

3. There are a few differences that you can find if you download both .pdf manuals, but functionally, I believe they are the same. The only major PITA on the LAM that I have, is the handle will fall without warning while your fingers are in the way.

I tried the boiling water with Dawn dish soap the last time I cleaned my lubamatic. I really think a heat gun or propane torch with rosebud would be easier.

Robert

SlippShodd
02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
I recently boiled my old LAM after trying the heat gun thing... I much preferred the results of boiling. RCBS will send you free O rings if you ask... they've replaced mine at least twice, as well as other parts that I broke/wore out. I've tried to pay them for the parts, but they insist. I've never gotten the exact right O ring locally, though that's what's in mine right now. They work well enough.

mike

awbrock
03-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Hello Gents,

I'm new to casting.... Well, I've been shopping for about two years. I finaly jumped in the pool with both feet. Bought the RCBS LAM-II, the Lyman lube heater, the Lee 20lb Bottom Pour pot, and a couple of moulds.

Anyone have problems using the lyman sizing dies in their LAM-II?

I read on a midwayusa review that the Lyman center-pin in the sizing die is too short for the RCBS LAM-II.......

I ordered the Lyman die and top punch, but haven't installed the die as I have not cast my first boolit yet.

The Lyman top punch seems to be a good bit undersized compaired to the hole in the ram of the RCBS LAM-II.

Is that going to cause an centering issue when I do start to size my boolits?

If I need to I can send the sizing die and the top punch back to midway and get the RCBS products.

What do you guys think?