PDA

View Full Version : User, first hand reports -----

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Afternoon shooters,

A friend is showing interest on a single action revolver which is now being handled by Cabela's.

It is the F.LLI Pietta, "1873 Single Action Revolver."

Of course, Cabela's says it is equal to RUGER quality, which I question.

Anyone have anything to say first hand?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

looseprojectile
02-22-2012, 06:51 PM
a nice gun and better quality but you can bet your life that a Colt clone is not near as strong as a Ruger, even a new Vaquero.
Having said that I will tell you that I have never shot or handled that Pietta gun.
Those Italian guns are a very good value and fun. I have several.
I like Uberti better.

Life is good

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks!

CDOC

MtGun44
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Even with the same steel (questionable) the BHs have larger diam cyls and bigger, heavier
topstrap, etc. Can't be the same strength without a dramatically better alloy, and I seriously
doubt that this is the case.

Might be just fine, tho.

Bill

Bullet Caster
02-22-2012, 11:33 PM
I also have an Uberti 1873 SAA. I saw that L. Pietta for sale in the Cabelas Shooters Catalogue. I don't believe it is near as strong as a Ruger. One thing about Cabalas is that they put their name on the top of the revolver bbl. which I do not like. I was thinking that I would try to remove it but it is stamped into the metal too deeply. Also, I think it would weaken the bbl. I believe that L. Pietta is just about as good as an Uberti. I believe the one he was looking at was the 4 3/4" bbl. with a dark charcoal finish. My Uberti I bought from Cabelas was the old looking finish with banged up grips to make them look old. Nice pistol though, and I enjoy shooting it. It is chambered in .45 Colt. They are offering the L. Pietta in .357 magnum and the .45 Colt. BC

ReloaderFred
02-23-2012, 02:54 AM
My wife has been shooting a consecutive numbered pair of nickel plated Great Western II's, which are made by Pietta, for about 5 years in SASS matches. She's probably got about 5,000 rounds through each of them and has never had a problem with either of them. They are a faithful replica of the Colt 1873 SAA.

I believe the comparison to Ruger was of "quality", not strength. I shoot Ruger Blackhawks for SASS, so I can make side by side comparisons between the two different brands. My wife prefers her SAA clones, and I prefer my Blackhawks. She says my pistols are too heavy, and I say her pistols are too light. To each his (or her) own.....

Hope this helps.

Fred

David LaPell
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
I have owned a Pietta 1873 copy before, and it was a nice gun. But it was no Ruger. But the new Vaquero is not like the earlier Vaquero either. Still I would have to think that the new Vaquero is tougher than any Colt clone. I know my Colt clone could not take the handloads, which really were not that strong, that I could shoot in my Vaquero all day long. If you want Ruger tough, well then buy a Ruger. If you want a Colt SAA clone for plinking around then get a Colt clone. Few will ever need any more than the standard .45 Colt loads anyway.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
02-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys,

Ima passing info on to Bob.

CDOC