PDA

View Full Version : Is this a crazy idea? multi-HP for molds with small pins..

Dschuttig
02-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Is this a crazy idea? I understand some molds can't be made in a cramer type HP because they don't have the right angle on the pins as to allow the boolits to fall off without prying. So, they have to be made with a conventional pin pulled from the bottom. Would a design similiar to Erik Ohlens "transfer Bar" with four pins on it, with a knob in the center or even a wood "handle" similiar to a drawer pull work? Something that would pull all 4 pins out the bottom at once? Or am I losing my mind?

beagle
02-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Shuz has a 4 cav 429421HP with all four cavities made with six pointed pins. That thing was a real PITA to remove the pins on when I tried to use it. I think Buckshot worked on it awhile trying to get a release method that worked but I don't think they were ever successful. Shuz had it but maybe TonyB has it now./beagle

Shuz
02-22-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm now the proud owner of the "mould from Hell" as this 429421HP4C has been rather affectionatley called down thru the years from those of us who have used it. I used it last week and it works great now. Buckshot may have tweaked it a little. I just mounted a long wooden stick to the bottom of the piece of steel that holds the hp pins, and use it the same as a normal SC HP mould with the exception that after I knock the sprue off, I open the handles and there the boolits rest, inverted on the hollow point pin stick. I then turn the stick over and beat it a bit to get the boolits to fall off of the pins. A little mould release applied to the pins makes them release the boolits fairly easy. Only drawback with this type of set up is it's weight, as well as the fact that I can't use my mould guide under my bottom pour furnace.

Dschuttig
02-22-2012, 10:47 PM
So, the pins can't be withdrawn while the mold is closed? how thick is the piece of steel on the bottom? I was wondering if the steel on the bottom could be inserted into the mold like the transfer bar idea, with perhaps a handle to get more pulling power.

beagle
02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Think Shuz is on his cruise. Last time I had that mould the pins were mounted on a piece of 1/4 inch stock. One of the problems was to get all of the pins to release at the same time for the same distance. Seems like one of the boogers wanted to hang up every time./beagle

Hamish
02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Okay, I've just spent about an hour trying to sleuth up the backstory on "The Mould From Hell" and I cain't find 'nuttin. A little help? This sounds like a doozy.

@(:^]#>:::