PDA

View Full Version : New 300 H&H Single Shot

Mr Humble
02-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Sold the Highwall and bought this #1 upgraded from a No. 1 B in 30-06.
Don't see wood like this on many No. 1s anymore !
Added the AH forend, bbl band and 1930s King reflector bbl band front sight.
Scope is a Leupy 6X (all you need for big game).

When I get back to WY, looking forward to trying my NEI 190GC DD in it. It shoots sub MOA w/factory 180 TSXs and full house 150 TSX handoads.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/5e5b787f.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/e33d4c88.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/50fa1aa9.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/37e2289c.jpg

02-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Grand old cartridge in a beautiful rifle. Wow.

Mooseman
02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I agree...I am using a 300 H&H for all my Alaska hunts now. Great cartridge !

Rich

Haggway
02-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Oh thats a good looking stock. I have one of these in 300 H&H on Lay-Away. Now I think I will skip a few more lunches to get finish the adoption process. I hope its shoots as well as yours.

nanuk
02-22-2012, 09:38 PM
SuhWEEEET!

beagle
02-22-2012, 10:54 PM
That is some nice looking wood. I've thought about that conversion for a while but haven't gotten up off my wallet yet./beagle

Heavy lead
02-22-2012, 11:50 PM
Absolutely beautiful and very, very classy.

Mr Humble
02-23-2012, 12:16 AM
I have a weakness for wood. The top one is a 7x57, the bottom one (375 H&H) is sold cause I found a red pad 375 with wood like the 7x57 that is currently getting redone in British red. Got about 25 coats on it almost done.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/f68432fb.jpg

Mr Humble
02-23-2012, 12:24 AM
An interesting aside: if you look real close at the 300 H&H, you'll see that the former owner had the ears on the bottom front of the action milled off to make it "more British". Happily I know the world's best stockmaker (now retired) who took the AH forend I bought NIB on Ebay from Canada (!) and fitted in ebony fillers to replace the lost ears. A lot cheaper than building a whole new forearm.

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/9842c655.jpg
http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/3ca612a2.jpg

Ragnarok
02-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Pull the buttstock off and look for corrosion.

I own a #1 that exhibits every sign of a salt-wood buttstock.

Lloyd Smale
02-23-2012, 11:03 AM
sure is a nice #1 stock! Cool caliber too.

JeffinNZ
02-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Too nice!!!

Rick Hodges
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Boy I am just a sucker for a nice #1. Beautiful rifle.

209jones
02-29-2012, 01:19 PM
I just picked up an 1885 Safari version in 300H&H, the wood definitely does not compare to that one. However, that can be remedied. Looking forward to working on it once the weather around here decides to cooperate. My #1 in 450/400 has one of those G1S stocks, very nice ,on one side only. It'll get fixed also.
Also contemplating a VC Safari Ph in the 300H&H, waiting for a reply on that one.
Part of me hopes they will do it, part of me doesn't.

Mr Humble
07-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Pull the buttstock off and look for corrosion.

I own a #1 that exhibits every sign of a salt-wood buttstock.

Reckon I have owned over 50 No 1 & 3s. (also 25+ 77s) Had everyone apart and never saw saltwood activity.

Think you think Rugers were made by Browning or (early FN) Weatherbys.

You don't have to pull a stock to see saltwood, it shows up wherever wood meets metal and there is NO WAY to fix it.

You are THE FIRST person I have ever heard of to EVER post, write or claim Ruger built saltwood guns. Proof is required if you hand out claims like this ..... including a certified salt test of the wood and proof that it is a Ruger stock.

Another "saltwood" Ruger African red pad.......... chuckle!

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/d8477e1e.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/2ebe3fd9.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/04faef6f.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/bff56c89.jpg

Otherwise....... just Internet chatter:!:

07-14-2012, 11:18 PM
You guys will have to edgemucate me. I have never heard the term "saltwood" stock. Context tells me it's bad, but could you explain further?

Hamish
07-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Look here:

http://www.artsgunshop.com/Salt/Salt_Article-Page-1.htm

Ragnarok
07-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Reckon I have owned over 50 No 1 & 3s. (also 25+ 77s) Had everyone apart and never saw saltwood activity.

Think you think Rugers were made by Browning or (early FN) Weatherbys.

You don't have to pull a stock to see saltwood, it shows up wherever wood meets metal and there is NO WAY to fix it.

You are THE FIRST person I have ever heard of to EVER post, write or claim Ruger built saltwood guns. Proof is required if you hand out claims like this ..... including a certified salt test of the wood and proof that it is a Ruger stock.

Another "saltwood" Ruger African red pad.......... chuckle!

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/d8477e1e.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/2ebe3fd9.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/04faef6f.jpg

http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z377/rocketcity1/tororeelmower18/bff56c89.jpg

Otherwise....... just Internet chatter:!:

Hmmm...didn't mean to insult you..or your pretty rifle..or Ruger or Browning for that matter.

The fact remains that I own a Ruger No.1B chambered in .243 Winchester. Ruger has always stuck a nice piece of wood on the No.1 rifles...the forearms may be a bit plainergrade. My rifle is no exception...has a nice looking buttstock.

Ok...lets ask why I would make such a preposterous claim as that my Ruger No.1 rifle has a saltwood buttstock?....That would be because years back I noticed some abnormal corrosion on the right side of the action in/near the joint where the action/buttstock meet up.

No big deal..it's a working gun not a show-piece..I clean it up. a Month later rust reappears in the same spot...I take the buttstock off to get a better look at this phenomenon....and it's bad!!...The right side of the receiver tang and the back of the action where the stock butts-up is deeply and actively rusting...the left side is less severe but still deeply and activly rusting. Has left deep/large pits when I literaly picked the rust from the pits...the rust was also driven deep into the wood in places..requiring me to pick rust from the wood!

Now I will say that up until then..I had never heard of 'saltwood'..and was unfamiliar with Browning's ordeal (no..I do not think Browning made Ruger No.1 rifles either).

I will also say that I've bought many milsurp rifles and handguns..some of these seeing rough service and over 100 years old....only a couple Martini Henry rifles from Nepal dating to the late 1880's exibited any rusting similiar to my Ruger No.1...I'm just saying that I'm used to..and not surprised by some rusting going on underneath the wood-line on hard used firearms.

So..Back to my Ruger...I did some research on just what the **** was going on here. That's when I learned of the Browning saltwood ordeal. This described my rifle's situation to a T...Some reading on affected guns and the history of the problem indicated that many firearms manufacturers and stock-makers that required better grade walnut got hold of some of this 'salt cured walnut'..I've seen Browning..Winchester..Weatherby..Ruger..Bishop..Fa jen all mentioned as having experienced issues to one degree or another. Browning having the lion's share of the problems because they bought up huge quanitys of this type of salt-cured fancy walnut..and I guess some of these 'bad' walnut blanks were peddeled around to other makers too.

Do I think Ruger has a problem with saltwood?...No..not really..apparently they did get bitten to some degree. My rifle is testement to that. My personal opinion is that whoever was selling wood to the gunmakers in the early 1970's were probably stuck some crappy/salty wood...and fobbed it off a blank ot so at a time to the manufacturers..that or some of Brownings problem stock blanks 'accidently' slipped into other manufacturer's wood buys.

That's my story..and I'm sticking too it...it's all internet jabbers 'cause that's where we are exchanging info...I just tried to warn a fellow shooter what to look out for..and get called essentially a 'liar'...I got nothing to prove to anybody...and the fact that my beautiful Ruger No.1 has a 'problem buttstock' is sad enough and proof enough for me...I got no reason to try impress anybody else..or start a big controversy over this unfortunate deal. You mights say "awe it was just sweat rusted your Ruger"..or "it must've got wet"..or whatever...I cleaned up the mess as well as possible...and pull the stock of periodically and clean the rust-pits some more...I will standby my assumption that Ruger put a saltwood stock on my rifle..and I'm sure it wasn't intentional on their part.

pietro
07-15-2012, 06:38 PM
AFAIK, While the "saltwood" issue, that several gunstock wood suppliers had, started in the mid-1960's (1966) and was stopped by 1971, Ruger did start making the #1 in 1968, and "might" possibly have gotten some bad wood in those years, but wouldn't think a stock blank hung around the factory for an appreciably long time, before being used.

That said, I received a recall letter (no, I never sent the gun back) for my then new 1999 .45-70 #1 Anniversary Model with Circassian stock, for "possible" rusting from bluing salts improperly left under some front sight ramps......... ( I still have the letter, if not the rifle)

I never sent it back, because my rifle never exhibited any trace of the proported bluing salts, anywhere.

Mr Humble
07-16-2012, 02:06 AM
The bluing salt theory is far more probable. You can read every article, the No 1 book and visit every thread relating to Rugers and I expect you will never find any mention of a salt wood Ruger.

The Browning and early FN Weatherbys were not even made from American Walnut, rather other Walnut species grown in the USA. Insofar as I know Ruger wood came from the Northeast ..... not an area identified with saltwood blanks.

No one is being called a "liar", but claiming that one of Americas few premier gunmakers still HERE is foisting off defective product on unknowing shooter, is a serious accusation and should be supported with more than "chatter". I would be interested to hear what Ruger said and did when the rifle was returned to them.
Photos of the rifle, serial #, areas of rust etc. would also prove instructive.

BTW the only "Winchesters" that may have salt wood were the replicas made by Browning. Have yet to see any of them with Salt Wood either but have only owned four of the M 12 replicas.

gandydancer
07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
I have heard of Ruger salt wood many years ago but never seen any. Browning YES on their little 22 carbine. the wood was beautiful the rifle was junk. sat in a box for many years, man dies lady tried to sell it to me.what she had was firewood and a boat anchor. I did not even want it for parts, what a shame.

Lloyd Smale
07-16-2012, 05:26 AM
Ive got more ruger firearms then all others combined and I kind of chuckle at some of the ruger fans who swear allegance to them. Some act like cult members there so adamant in there praise for ruger. Id say if ruger sold me a salt stocked gun it would not even make the top ten of them passing off defective things on me. I once had a vaquero that the top strap grove went from the right rear corner of the top strap to the front left corner. Ive also had guns that were brand new and would fire. I dont think anyone accused ruger of intentionaly passing off anything. Could they possibly have gotten some bad blanks and they found there way to customers. You bet.

Ragnarok
07-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Personaly..I would say my Ruger No.1 is a fluke.

The rifle dates to like 1980 or 1981...should be well out of the saltwood timeframe.

Is it really a saltwood stock or bluing salts?...Hmmm..I'm going to have to say saltwood stock. Reason being the buttpad screws were rusty too....and the degree of the rust in a couple spots on the right side..extreme and deep pits left in these two places...

Watch the videos on saltwood in the gunsmith fellows site at the links listed on the first page here. The little 28ga O/U shotgun he's using as a 'saltwood' demonstrater very closely parallels my Ruger.

I'll get some pics this week if I can get my kid to do it..I ain't real good at online pic-posting!

Another thing...I am not claiming that Ruger is foisting inferior products off on an unsuspecting public!!..Don't know where Mr Humble gets that!

I'm claiming Ruger got a bad piece of wood...and after my experience with my Ruger No1...I would check any other older Ruger for a similiar condition....that's all I ever tried to state.

Mr humble must think I hate Rugers or whatever...no..not so. I just want to make people aware that saltwood ain't just a Browning issue...it could be nearly anybody's issue.

Mr Humble
07-18-2012, 08:01 PM
No I don't think nor did I say that you hate Rugers. Conjuring up motives to discredit me and mask your apparent inability to offer any proof based on real science does not advance the discussion one iota. All I requested was some real evidence.
A rusty screw does not a saltwood stock make. I have owned quite a few 99s, 94s, 86s, M54s & M70s that were hunted in the snow and rain. They (and most other rifles) never sealed the wood where it met the buttplate. You can find lots of guns hunted in rain and snow, leaned up against trees in 6" of snow and so on. Many have rusty buttplates, screws and even wood discoloration from "rising damp" being sucked up into the stock. When you get the wood tested by chemical analysis and can get Ruger to verify that it is in fact a Ruger stock then I'll be convinced. Until then, it's just a best guess. If you ever saw a Midas Grade Browning O/U or an Olympian Grade Safari with real saltwood issues you would see a real horror story. Way, Way past a rusty screw.

As for the other rant on Ruger revolvers, it's off topic and does not belong on this thread.

I do not worship at the grave of Bill Ruger, but the firm has produced some really fine guns.
The original 22 Semiauto pistol set the gunworld on its ear.
The No. 1 is without peer among single shots anywhere near it's price.
The 10-22 was and is a real breakthrough.
The 77 RSMs were Safari rilfes that could hold their head up anywhere
The first 77s (tang safe) were and are just wonderful rifles unlike most of the 77s that followed.
The single actions restarted a whole way of shooting and Colt has yet to catch up.
The new 380 w/laser sight or the 38 snubbie w/laser are both great guns and great values.
Most of the Ruger dumb stuff has had to do with silly "new" cartridges and jumping on the obsolete "scout rifle" bandwagon. (who would ever want to get into a fight with any bolt action rifle when ARs are available?)

I'll await the lab results on "saltwood Rugers".:coffee:

Haggway
07-18-2012, 08:52 PM
I have a few ruger single shots, and the only thing that I have had a problem with was some blueing salts under the front site band. That was a not a bad fix. Somthing like this can and will happen when you produce large quanities of items of any sort.

Four Fingers of Death
07-19-2012, 06:09 AM
As Ragnarok said, "I will standby my assumption that Ruger put a saltwood stock on my rifle..and I'm sure it wasn't intentional on their part."

He felt that suppliers have slipped in dud stocks to get rid of them, sounds reasonable (not reasonable behaviour, but typical of a lot of 'dishonest if it suits me' businessmen.

Mr Humble
09-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Been a long time since July and NO photos of the "saltwood Ruger" have been posted. IMHO that says a lot.
Having owned a saltwood FN actioned Weatherby 300 Weatherby magnum, I know all too well what it looks like and what it does to metal. Only a blind man could miss it.

Four Fingers of Death
09-21-2012, 08:56 PM
until this thread I had never heard of saltwood stocks. Dumb luck I suppose.