PDA

View Full Version : 45-45-10

William Yanda
02-22-2012, 09:41 AM
One of the posts on preparing 45-45-10/LLA-JPW-solvent, recommended melting the JPW and "reducing" to eliminate some solvent. What is the point if more solvent is to be added to the final mix? Would not adding less solvent without boiling off the original solvent give the same result? Inquiring minds want to know if someone else has already gone down this path.

btroj
02-22-2012, 10:02 AM
The solvent you are addi back is not the same solvent you originally evaporated off. It does make a difference!
I did not keep mine heated long enou at first, took way longer to dry. Second batch I kept heated for 20 minutes or more, dries much faster.

My understanding is that Recluse spent a large amount of time developing a formula and system that worked well. He did all the trial and error so we don't have to.

Don't evaporate off the solvents if you chose, it will still work. It just may take longer to dry and not be quite as user friendly if you don't. I just prefer to follow the "method" put forth by Recluse, I am sure he didn't evaporate off the solvents just because.

onesonek
02-22-2012, 10:20 AM
The solvent you are addi back is not the same solvent you originally evaporated off. It does make a difference!
I did not keep mine heated long enou at first, took way longer to dry. Second batch I kept heated for 20 minutes or more, dries much faster.

My understanding is that Recluse spent a large amount of time developing a formula and system that worked well. He did all the trial and error so we don't have to.

Don't evaporate off the solvents if you chose, it will still work. It just may take longer to dry and not be quite as user friendly if you don't. I just prefer to follow the "method" put forth by Recluse, I am sure he didn't evaporate off the solvents just because.

Yep, pretty much the way I look at it.
I use it for most everything I shoot. The latest test will be with a new to me ML, where I dipped patches and wads in the 45-45-10 when I cooked it down and still hot, just prior to adding the MS. They dried in 10 mins. I don't know if anybody else here has done that, as I haven't researched it. But look forward to seeing the results shooting them soon.

sundog
02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
It doesn't make any difference. I just got finished loading 300 TL452-230-TC. Those boolits were dipped loobed, run thru a .452 push-thru sizer, and redipped. The loob was 45-LLA, 45-MS, and 10-JPW. The JPW was heated just long enough to go liquid. Poured all back into the LLA bottle, dropped in a small boolit for a mixer, shook, and used. It was a little runny, but the stuff works just fine. Shot some the other day, and can't tell any difference between it and any other loob in this application.

As an aside, these were loaded into 45 acp with Red Dot that is well over 30 years old, prolly over 40. They shoot fine.

I've also used this loob with TL401-175-TC in 40 S&W, and they work just fine, also.

wrinkles
02-22-2012, 12:04 PM
You got your mix wrong. It should be 45% LLA, 45% JPW and 10% MS.

mdi
02-22-2012, 12:42 PM
QUOTE=wrinkles;1602224]You got your mix wrong. It should be 45% LLA, 45% JPW and 10% MS.[/QUOTE]

Mebbe that mix worked for him...[smilie=l:

geargnasher
02-22-2012, 03:24 PM
We just beat that subject to death here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=143211

I found that cooking it DOES matter quite a bit, but it will work either way.

Gear

SlowSmokeN
02-22-2012, 10:06 PM
We just beat that subject to death here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=143211

I found that cooking it DOES matter quite a bit, but it will work either way.

Gear

+1. Thought I was reading the same thread until I saw your post.

runfiverun
02-22-2012, 10:32 PM
you think corky got the mix wrong?
i use jpw and trewax 50-50 and xlox/ms 50-50.
melt the waxes,add the xlox.
heat it all again then add 1/3 beeswax to the whole melted volumn, and just a smidge [like show the mix the container smidge] of lanolin.
half b-wax and parafin works too.
with the trewax i can see the light coating i apply it by the forkfull...

wrinkles
02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
My point was, the thread was about randyrat's 45% LLA, 45% JPW and 10% MS lube and if sundog is using 45% LLA, 45% MS and 10% JPW then he got his MS and JPW mixed up.

DLCTEX
02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
And it's Recluses 45-45-10, I find it works best cooking it down as Recluse suggested.

wrinkles
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
I stand corrected. Sorry for the mix up.

sundog
02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Point is, who cares if it's mixed up. It sticks, it works. I suspect 45-JPW is prolly wasting it ($$$s). I even suspect the ratio does not even matter that much for 'normal' loads for handguns. If you are shooting Bullseye (the competition) or similar target events, you might be a little more particular.

DLCTEX
02-23-2012, 11:56 PM
I wasn't able to get the boolits to dry enough until I followed directions.

runfiverun
02-24-2012, 12:55 AM
mine dries in about an hour under a fan in a 55* garage.
my solution to not cooking felix's lube works for me too.
and so does my moly lube.
just cause it isn't the same proportions or whatever doesn't mean it don't work.
i'm pretty sure recluse tried my 3 parts jpw to one part b-wax lube [might even be where he got the idea about cooking out the solvents, maybe not [shrug]
and my version of the 45 lube might be a half and half of the two, or whatever, it works.
heck joel just uses cooked off jpw and, maybe or not, some b-wax or parrafin candles in a different proportion, it works for him.

Recluse
02-24-2012, 03:11 AM
mine dries in about an hour under a fan in a 55* garage.
my solution to not cooking felix's lube works for me too.
and so does my moly lube.
just cause it isn't the same proportions or whatever doesn't mean it don't work.
i'm pretty sure recluse tried my 3 parts jpw to one part b-wax lube [might even be where he got the idea about cooking out the solvents, maybe not [shrug]
and my version of the 45 lube might be a half and half of the two, or whatever, it works.
heck joel just uses cooked off jpw and, maybe or not, some b-wax or parrafin candles in a different proportion, it works for him.

Yep, I even PM'd you a couple of times about it and you gave me some suggestions. So did Felix and a few others.

*grin* In fact, YOU were the one that suggested I cook off a lot of the stuff in JPW, then add some MS to help it dry.

I found that adding the MS helped control/create viscosity, which made it a bit easier to use at any time in just about any ambient temperature.

I also remember about that time Boerrancher doing some pretty good testing with straight JPW along with some that he would cook down to varying levels. He got some pretty danged good groups, too.

The ratio and method I settled on has worked very well for me, though. REAL well, as a matter of fact, and I ain't changing a thing! :) I'm finally getting old enough and smart enough to realize that if it's not broken, don't go trying to fix it.

:coffee:

Longbow53
02-25-2012, 07:30 PM
So who has used this on 30 cal bullets to 1800 fps?? I see mostly pistol loads, just wondering who has really put some velocity to this and what caliber bullets. thanks, Pete

runfiverun
02-26-2012, 12:04 AM
i mainly use it in plain based applications.
i have pushed it to 1650 but not in any serious rifle stuff.
i have some 45/70's tumble lubed up, they weigh 425 grs.
but i am not gonna even try pushing them to 1800 fps in that sharp pointed butstock on the 86.