PDA

View Full Version : Great Waffle Recipe

cattleskinner
02-22-2012, 01:46 AM
I found this recipe and did some modifying to it. Just be sure to barely cover the waffle maker with batter as it really rises as it cooks.

2 eggs
2 cups flour
12 oz fruit flavored yogurt (your choice of kind)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbs Sugar
4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/2 Tsp Almond or Vanilla Extract

Mix batter with a whisk, slowly adding milk into batter until it isn't stiff anymore and has the usual waffle batter consistency. Good stuff. If you guys decide to not use the yogurt, use 1 3/4 cup milk total in it's place.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-23-2012, 08:46 PM
I use the same basic recipe but no yogurt however I have tossed in blueberries, or raspberries, or raisins and the variations have turned out fine. I don't use an electric iron, I prefer one of the old fashioned cast iron ones that has to be flipped over to bake both sides. It takes a little practice but works great. Thanks for sharing. LLS

Old Goat Keeper
02-24-2012, 10:17 PM
DO try chopped up pecans guys! YUMMMM!

T-o-m

fourarmed
02-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Le Loup, I have one of those Brilliant No. 8 cast iron waffle irons, and I was inspired by this recipe to try it Saturday. We didn't go hungry, but I spent some time scraping waffles out of the iron. How about commenting on your technique: stove type, temperature setting, time per side, etc.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Most of them were made by Griswold and Wagner. They use "bases" that hold the plates and those usually rotate around on a ball in a socket. The bases are "low" or "high" style. The lows are for use on a wood or coal stoves or will work on an electric or gas range. The high bases were designed for use on a gas stove to avoid any gas cutting that occurs if the plates are too close to the flame. Ignoring all of that doesn't really change much as it takes a long time and a lot of use to see any damage. However the nearness of the waffle plates to the heat source is a prime consideration. If the plates are too close to high heat they overheat and you get scorched waffles or ones that stick. It doesn't take long for the plates to come up to temperature; the one on the bottom will be hotter unless you rotate them every couple of minutes or sooner. A couple of minutes on each side should do the trick. The plates are supposed to be seasoned just like all other cast iron. If they have wooden handles then you can't put them in the oven so they will have to be seasoned just by using them. They have to be coated with some Crisco or equivalent, or sprayed with a non sticking item; there are lots of different brands, but try and use a water base one---NOT alcohol, as that will flame up in your face when you spray the heated plates. The water based one will just smoke a bit. You can be generous with the spray as it will keep the batter from sticking. You usually have to spray around every fifth waffle pour as the baking waffles absorb some of the spray or Crisco or veggie oil if you use that ( it can be wiped on but that is kind of hard to do). Back in the day they used lard and bacon grease....not good for your cholesterol! I assume that you have waffle plates that are 8" in diameter. I use Griswolds that measure that and they have a pattern where the design is cut in quarters with a seam crossing in the center. I use a one cup measuring scoop and dip it into the batter.....then dump it exactly on the center where the seams cross at a 90 degree angle and close the iron(plates). The batter is/wil spread by the weight of the closed plates. If you're in practice/good then you won't get any squeeze out around the outside edges of the plates(and the waffle will be uniform and completely filled out), but squeeze out happens...that is why the bases have rims/troughs to catch any overflow if you put too much batter between the plates. Squeeze out when the waffle is finished can be just trimmed off anyway, but it is wasteful. Usually if the plates are the right temp..all you need is a minute to 90 seconds on each side then you open the plates and "peek"....with a fork in your hand The waffle should be a golden brown on each side. The fork is to pick up the waffle and check the underside. If the waffle is not brown enough for you then line up the "teeth" again and close the plates for another half minute. Its pretty much like casting....you have to practice and learn to regulate things, and make some mistakes. But most important is to develop is the rhythm...that comes with practice and it doesn't take much. There should be no scraping necessary to get a waffle off of the plates if you have them seasoned and well sprayed/Crisco-ed and you don't roast/burn them with too high heat or to much time on each side. When you get the rhythm you'll know automatically (like when to use the clutch when driving) when to rotate the plates according to the right temp. Like anything else it can be frustrating in the beginning until you get the hang of it...and you will succeed. Any real bad mistakes can go to the dog..yours or the neighbors or can be crumbled up fine and put in the bird feeder or the sink disposal unit. I made my share of monstrosities. I use an ordinary electric range with medium heat. If your stove is a glass top then protect it from cast iron as it will scratch. Use a round sheet of aluminum just larger than the diameter of the base. The heat will work right up through it. When cleaning the waffle iron after the bake, use soap and hot water and a nylon brush...no scouring as this will take off the seasoning. One last thing...the consistency of the batter has to be not too thick as it will not pour or flow well...or too thin for if it is too watery it will make scrawny waffles that "steam" a long time and don't "rise well. When it all comes together for you, you'll be the hero of the house and your guests. Adding fruit, or blueberries or raisins or nuts to the batter can make for variations and butter with some Vermont maple syrup will make you famous. I hope that this has helped. Good luck and enjoy. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to PM me or post how things are going. LLS

fourarmed
02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks a lot for all that info. As I was about out of batter, I finally started getting good waffles. I started with the iron too cold, and with not enough oil on it. Eventually I turned the electric burner up to 6, and brushed on a little oil between every waffle. I still wound up with either too little or too much batter, but I was pouring freehand from a pitcher.

Mine is exactly like your description of yours, except it does not say Griswold on it. One plate is marked "Brilliant" and the other "No. 8." All three parts have mold numbers, as well.

denul
03-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Le Loup Solitaire-

I use an 8-inch Wagner on the high-rise frame with a 1910 patent date. My grandmother got it for her wedding in 1915. It was unused for a couple of decades before I got a hold of it. It took some work with a toothbrush to get all of the acummulated pieces of failures out of the grid work; then it was heated it to near smoking with vegetable shortening inside.

I have used it for more than 25 years without sticking a waffle. On a gas range you can quickly adjust the temperature to a medium setting, but it is not unusual to lose a waffle, at least cosmetically, during setup. This usually happens while I am bragging to everyone about the wonderful waffle iron, and not paying attention to business.

Your recipe for using yogurt interests me and I will be trying that the next time out. I used buttermilk in a very similar recipe and had been very pleased with the results.A large disher(which looks like an ice cream scoop but is bigger) works well to dispense the very thick batter into the center of the hot iron. The base of the disher can also be used to smooth the better before closing the lid.

I use the spray lube on every waffle. I also spray the hot iron after the last waffle, so she is ready to go the next time out. Soap and water are never used on the internal surfaces.

On a couple of occasions, sympathetic friends and relatives have given me electric waffle irons for a Christmas gift. The best cure for that misguided notion has been to have them over for some waffles made on cast iron.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Denui, I am familiar with the waffle iron that you have. it is a good one and is worth quite a bit of $$$. I collect Griswold and have a number of their models; in the world of cast iron the biggest names are Gris and Wagner so one gets to see a lot of both. The variations among Griswold models can drive a collector crazy. (I have only 23 at the moment) Wagner models are every bit as good as the ones that Gris made.
The yogurt idea was not originally mine but I haven't tried it yet. Cattleskinner in the first post explained how to use it and keep the right consistency for the batter. You have the right moves going and it is evident that you make good waffles and please many people. The high base irons are less prone to overheating as they are not as near to the heat source. Your system for cleaning and maintaining the seasoning is very good.
The best syrup is the Vermont stuff...its pricey but its definitely worth it...if you can find it. There are many possible variations to what one can use as toppings on waffles. One that I have used for the kids in the family is a chocolate spread called "Nutella", found in Walmart. Its an interesting sub-hobby in and around everything else. Keep up the good work. LLS

OeldeWolf
04-15-2012, 02:56 PM
My mther did a couple variations we liked. I should do some, soon.

In the batter she added powdered milk and/or wheat germ, to raise nutrition levels. Fresh ground whole wheat was also an option, but yu had to add extra leavening. She also used to put a strip of cooked bacon on top before she closed the lid.

I chop bacon then cook it for stuffings, might try that way instead of the strips. Now, if bacon was not so expensive...

Richard

Le Loup Solitaire
04-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Oeldewolf...those are some interesting variations that you have passed along. I like the idea of increasing the nutritional level with the addition of ground whole wheat. It is also better to chop the bacon so that the flavor of it would be spread around rather than be centralized in one spot between the lids.Thanx again for sharing. LLS