PDA

View Full Version : Going to buy a 1lb ingot mold.

letsmeltlead2693
02-22-2012, 01:01 AM
I am going to buy a 1lb ingot mold, as I do not feel like making my own. Should I buy a Lee, Lyman, or RCBS ingot mold? The Lee is cheapest, but has 2 1lb and 2 1/2 lb slots, but the Lyman and RCBS has 4 1lb slots. The RCBS is made of cast iron but has no handles. What should I buy? I want to make smaller lead ingots than the ones I have now.

1bluehorse
02-22-2012, 01:11 AM
I have two Lee ingot molds all the slots on mine are the same. Approx 1lb. I also have a couple old cast iron muffin pans that are about the same, maybe a little less....they're ingot molds, what difference does it make??

letsmeltlead2693
02-22-2012, 01:25 AM
I think cast iron will last much longer than aluminum molds and not have the troubles of sticking. Aluminum Lee ingot molds are cheaper so what will you recommend ally or cast iron?

runfiverun
02-22-2012, 01:28 AM
i have tried all of them.
i like the lyman ones with the handles the best.
the rcbs are the most flexible for me they fit under a lee pot nicely, to catch the drips.
the triangle mold i made stacks the tightest together and is less prone to falling over.
anyways i use all of them.
and the cast boolits mold i got from the prototype run, which i use lightly and just for my soft/pure lead alloys.
whatever you use it's just gotta hold lead long enough for it to cool down so you can dump it out.

letsmeltlead2693
02-22-2012, 01:38 AM
So I guess it will either be the Lyman or the RCBS. I will probably buy the Lyman since it has the handle as I do not want to mess with the vise grips and vise versa. No pun intended. The Lyman goes for about 26.96 or about 27.00 including shipping. I think that's what I will buy unless I get a really good reason not to.

southpaw
02-22-2012, 01:40 AM
I have lee, lyman and the rcbs ones. I broke the handle off the lyman so now it looks like the rcbs ones. The lee ones the handles will not stay on the mold. The lyman did not seem to want to drop the lead out quite as easy as the others.

I use welders gloves for the most part when I am smelting. After the lead is hard I use my gloved had to dump the ingots out. Don't hold on too long the welders gloves will get HOT.

Just a quick search showed me that you can get 2 of the lee molds for ~$24, one rcbs or lyman for ~$21. I looked at grafs. http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/455?grafs_vendor_filter=&grafs_sorting_flydown=popularity&_swat_form_character_encoding=%C3%A4%E2%84%A2%C2%A E&_swat_form_process=grafs_sorting_form&_swat_form_serialized__swat_form_process=auRBAfJoH pPQd2FWx7MVIQ%7Cs%3A18%3A%22grafs_sorting_form%22% 3B&_swat_form_hidden_fields=fDk71VXcXJddn45*bdDhwg%7C a%3A1%3A%7Bi%3A0%3Bs%3A18%3A%22_swat_form_process% 22%3B%7D

I found that I needed quite a few molds. My pot will hold about 120 pounds of lead. I like to empty atleast half of it before adding more.

I would go with the lee and get a few more. Trust me it is alot easier to fill up a bunch of molds than wait for one to cool down and fill it again. Makes the smelting process go alot faster.

Jerry Jr.

stubshaft
02-22-2012, 01:49 AM
I use the RCBS one with a vise grip handle.

bumpo628
02-22-2012, 02:43 AM
I got a cast iron biscuit pan at a thrift store for about $5. I haven't used it yet, but I like the idea of lead hockey pucks all over the garage.
It looks like it will make ingots about 2 lbs each. The pan goes for about $30 at Bass Pro, but in terms of ingot weight per dollar it is a pretty good deal. The ingots will be the right size to put in my Lee Magnum melter too.

http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/prodimages/5386-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Defcon-One
02-22-2012, 11:34 AM
The RCBS or an Old Lyman, made of cast iron. Then use pliers to flip out ingots.

letsmeltlead2693
02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
So RCBS then? It is about $23 shipped. I have vise grips, heck we have 2 or 3 vise grips. We is my dad has the vise grips.

Fishman
02-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I have the rcbs with vice grip handles and the Lyman aluminum with handle. Either works fine but I have found I can get three pours in the rcbs in the time I get two in the Lyman. The rcbs sheds heat quicker. I have been smelting quite a bit recently and the rcbs gets my vote for speed. Either works fine though. Once my two ingot moulds have heated up I pour the rest of the lead into an angle iron mould I made and refill the pot with cold wheel weights.

Fishman
02-22-2012, 06:44 PM
I'll second the idea that more moulds is better. They heat up quickly and then casting ingots takes a lot longer

D Crockett
02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
letsmeltlead I have a 4 cavity lyman with one of the cavity that has a hole in it you can have it just for the postage if you want it D Crockett

idahoron
02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
I know you got your heart set on a ingot mould but aluminum muffin tins work and cost nothing at second hand stores. All you have to do to keep the lead from sticking is smoke them. I picked up a Cast iron egg poacher that will make 5 or 6 ingots at a time for 1.00 I also picked up a cast iron. You didn't want to spend any money on lead but your willing to spend 23.00 for just a ingot mould. One of the fun things about pouring lead for me is improvising. I save on everything but I am willing to pay for good soft lead, if I have to. Ron

Walter Laich
02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
southpaw,

I used JB Weld to solve the problem of the loose handle. It seems to be holding even with the high temps of ingot making

Huntducks
02-22-2012, 09:16 PM
I have number of ingots RCBS and the good old CI corn cob + I use some Alum chain link fence cross braces you can put a hole bunch on a peice of all thread rod with some nuts they hold about 1/2lb and work great with a 10-20 lb lee pot.

Bill*
02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I'd take D Crocketts generous offer and then buy a couple of Lees as you need them. They're cheaper and work just fine IMHO.

Hardcast416taylor
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
My ingot molds consist of 3 Lyman ingot molds (with vise grips) 1 LEE ingot mold with the 1 and 1/2 lb. slots and 2 small melting pots from RCBS and Lyman. I use a stainless steel 1 piece ladle from a school cafeteria sale for dipping the lead from my smelting pot to the various molds. I rotate the ingot molds, always having 1 cooling as I`m dumping another into a sheet cake pan that sits up off the bench by an inch or so to not scorch the bench top wood. The ladle holds 2 1/2 lb. of lead, I put 1 ladle full into each of the small melting pots to make larger 1 piece ingots and these fall out nicely.Robert

Ole
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
I'd save the $$ you were going to spend on ingot molds and put it towards a bullet mold.

Heck $23 buys a Lee 2 banger.

canebreaker
02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
I got a cornbread stick mold that does great. $.50 at a carport sale. I get to pour up to 7 at a time. They weigh about a pound each. I can stick 4 of them in my lee 2-10 pot to start with.

rollmyown
02-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a few 1 pounders including the "Cast Boolits" ingot molds sold in group buys by Blammer (I think). I'd personally prefer 2 pounders. 2 LB cast boolits molds would be perfect for my needs. I don't think there are any plans to make any. It's a shame, because I'd buy a few.

Gtek
02-22-2012, 09:55 PM
I use the Lyman, polished out ID and modified a little. Handle kept sliding off, drilled small hole and laced SS safety wire through handle into frame - works great. Gtek

Moonman
02-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Cast Iron Corn Bread Wedge Skillets work nice.

letsmeltlead2693
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I have me a cast iron pan that make lead pie wedges. The wedges are still to big to easily cast when put in whole in my 4lb capacity C. Palmer Hot Pot II Melting Pot. Here is what I use to melt lead into sinkers. I need something that will get it to only a quarter to a third of the wall full do it will be easy to wield. The wedges are too big for me to easily pour when a whole one is melted and the pot is full.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_223664f46b3f9ca9aa.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4097)

zxcvbob
02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Stainless steel "condiment cups" work great. If you fill them to the top, you get a little muffin-shaped ingot that weights just over 1.5 pounds. They are 4 for $1 at Walmart near the kitchen gadgets.

The only trick is you don't want to knock them over when full of molten lead. (you could make a wooden stand for them out of a scrap of 2x6 with 1.25" holes in it, or just don't be a klutz, whichever is easier)

Dale53
02-23-2012, 05:53 PM
I have a variety of moulds collected over many years. My favorites are my welded up angle iron moulds. My smelting pot holds 120+ lbs. I don't want to spend all day pouring ingots one lb at a time. On the other hand, when alloying, the smaller ingots make THAT job easier. Hence, the various sizes I use:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QWinter2009andleadsmelting-1769.jpg

As far as material is concerned, I have broken the tab off of a couple of the cast iron moulds (using a vise grip to handle) and my one Lee aluminum mould is still intact. If the handles come loose, use Gorilla Glue - it works just fine. I do like others have mentioned, use welders gloves and handle
QUICKLY! I run a small garden wheel barrow up to the table that contains the moulds and just quickly move them from the table and flip them upside down to dislodge the ingots right into the wheel barrow, then use the wheel barrow to move them to storage after I finish.

You will note that the "handles" I have made integral with the angle iron moulds will NOT be breaking. Those 2" angle iron moulds will make a five pound ingot if you fill them completely:

If you want smaller ingots then you can use 1" angle iron.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QIngotmoulds031.jpg

Dale53

30cal
02-23-2012, 06:28 PM
I have both the lyman and lee molds,when Im making ingots I rotate molds so nothing gets too hot.My lead pot is kinda big so acually I could use maybe 2 more molds.The small ingots are kinda nice sometimes too.

captain-03
02-23-2012, 07:23 PM
If you only do this a couple times a year ... Get you 4 or 5 of the Lee molds ... they will do the job -- no problem sticking - handles holding up good ... from last August ..

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/captain-03/IMG_2291.jpg

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/captain-03/IMG_2294.jpg

letsmeltlead2693
02-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Did I just die and go to heaven? That is a lot of lead. I have some thin angle steel and some angle bed iron. I will try to make an ingot mold instead of buying one. If I do, How can I make one with a thin angle steel and using something to close the sides as I don't have flat steel or a welder and it is easier to improvise. Any help on that?

alfloyd
02-24-2012, 09:57 AM
I have a few of the Lyman and RCBS ingot molds. I use cannel-locks to dump the ingots out of the mold.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=450&pictureid=5023

I have added to the number of ingot molds after this photo.

I can make a lot of ingots with this pot and molds as can be seen here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=450&pictureid=5024

This was just one night's production from reclaimed 22LR slugs.

I like having all the ingots the same size and they stack nice also.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=450&pictureid=3018

Lafaun

rollmyown
02-25-2012, 06:53 AM
alfloyd, I'm a little bit green with envy. Congrats on enjoying the fruits of you hard work!

Echo
02-25-2012, 04:59 PM
I recommend muffin tins from the junk store, or wherever. Cheapest, and functional.

I have used one for several years to cast WW ingots. I use a couple of angle-iron moulds to cast WW+2%Sn ingots. I use regular Lyman or RCBS 4-gang moulds to cast 5-lb ingots of 7-1 WW/monotype ingots (flood the mould ). And I use soda cans (w/tops cut out) to cast pure Pb ingots.

I am getting simpler in my dotage, and this way I can identify the alloy based on the shape of the ingot.

1bluehorse
02-25-2012, 10:48 PM
I have two Lee ingot molds all the slots on mine are the same. Approx 1lb. I also have a couple old cast iron muffin pans that are about the same, maybe a little less....they're ingot molds, what difference does it make??

Doh !!! I'm an idiot, I don't have Lee ingot molds, THEY"RE LYMAN.....thats why all the slots are the same size.....and thats why the little bars say LYMAN on them when you turn them over...:veryconfu

AR-15 Cowboy
02-26-2012, 02:41 AM
I thought I was storing too much lead but after seeing some of these pictures, I need a lot more. I use muffin pans and condiment tins that produce small 1.5lb ingots that fit just nice in my Lee pro 20lb furnace.

fredj338
02-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Doesn't matter, they all do the same thing. Buy one of each & then use them to separate your alloy: one for pure lead, one for clip ww, one for range scrap.;-) Find someone that welds & get channel or angle iron molds made. Cheap & you can have up to 5# ingots that will fit 20# pots.

letsmeltlead2693
02-28-2012, 12:58 AM
I brought one today for 15.31. I got a lee ingot mold, will be here in 10 days and got free shipping.

imashooter2
02-28-2012, 07:10 AM
I have RCBS, old iron Lyman, new aluminum Lyman and a Lee. I like the new Lyman molds with the handle. Can't picture wearing one out.

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/break600.jpg

Swede44mag
02-28-2012, 10:59 AM
I got a cornbread stick mold that does great. $.50 at a carport sale. I get to pour up to 7 at a time. They weigh about a pound each. I can stick 4 of them in my lee 2-10 pot to start with.

I use a Cornbread mold for my muzzle loading pure lead don't get mixed up with W-W lead.
I bought some sauce cups at Sams I think there were 12 for $5.00 or less.
I use both Lee & RCBS lead mold I have been looking into getting a SAECO also.
I have tried the muffin pans but they seem to stick too much.
Last but not least I cut the top of pop cans rinse out the soda or beer let them dry.
Fill the can let it cool and two of them will fill my RCBS Pro Melt pot.

DLCTEX
02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I make mine from 1 1/2 in. angle. I have three plus a Lee but will be making more as I have a couple tons of some serious smelting to do.

letsmeltlead2693
02-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Turns out the website is out of stock of the Lee. They did not charge my debit card. Should I just buy a Lyman or an RCBS? Anyone know of a cheap site to go to buy it?

jlala504
02-28-2012, 03:13 PM
I use muffin tins, they work great and I usually pick em up for $.50 each at goodwill.

birdadly
02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't want to sound mean, but you're over-thinking this one. I'd put forth more effort deciding which boolit moulds will work best for you and your guns.

Here are your 4 main ones to choose from if you want to buy one and not make one or use something you can get from a thrift shop.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=5676

It looks like Lee's are in stock if you want the 1/2 pounders too. -Brad

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Check the vendor sponsors forum. Somebody here makes nice ones with the cast boolets logo on them.

Rich

Springfield
03-01-2012, 02:36 AM
I've got 6 cast iron cornbread ingot moulds. I can fit 3 in a MFLB. I'd sell them for 10 bucks each and they make 7 ingots. not 4.

letsmeltlead2693
03-01-2012, 12:46 PM
I order 2 lee molds yesterday. I paid about $31 for 2 with free shipping. Should be here by next week...

letsmeltlead2693
03-03-2012, 08:19 PM
I got my 2 Lee molds today. I love my molds as the ingots they make are a great size and easy to handle. I have one for pure lead and the other for hard or alloy lead.