PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1885 BPCR globe sights woes

Black Prince
03-18-2007, 09:53 PM
I sent my Rifle to Lee Shaver to fix the trigger and hammer problems. He returned it with just a piece of packing tape over the front sight and UPS broke the spirit level on return shipment. So I ordered two new spirit inserts from American Manfacturing Technology, the people who made the Browning sights and still do. I asked them how the level was installed and how it came out since on my observation, it did not screw and appeared to be "snaped in and glued."

The AMT technician told me that is exactly how it is assembled and for me to just get a brass wedge of a knife blade and put it on the cap edge and tap it with a hammer to make it come off. If any of you ever have to replace the spirit level in those Browning sights DON'T FOLLOW The advice from AMT or you'll break the dam thing. I did what they said and the first tap BENT the very thin clyinder tube that holds the glass vial insert. That thing is VERY thin and will bend REAL easy.

Since the glass was already broken, the best way is to use an allen wrench and a small driver and tap the end caps straight out the end of the tube. DO NOT tap the outside end of the cap or you will bend the darn thing.

Antoher thing I quickly learned after straightening the tube is that the replacement glass vials are NOT straight. They are curved in an arch so I had to mess with it for a couple of hours to get it to fit since glass is sorta inelastic. Then I learned that the replacement glass vials are NOT the same length as the one that came out of it so I had to file off the inside of the retaining end caps wihich reduces the already small area for you to use instant glue to hold them. So I had to break out the Dremel tool and grind a small recess in the little end cap ( ever tried to hold one of those things and grind on it?) Once I got the recess ground in, the end caps fit nicely so I super glued tham like the technician told me. I don't know if they are going to hold because I have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet to see if they will come off but everything looks right as of now.

Then I set a level on the barrel flat and leveled it and noticed the front level was off. Then I set the level on the top of the breach and the front sight level was still off the same anount. Well DUH? The little cynlinder tube on the front sight was bent right to left so I had to level it with the level on the barrel flat. It is all regulated now.

What I learned about the Browning front sight is that is is DAM DELICATE and even a small bump can knock it out of level. If any of you boys have one, you might want to put a small level ( I used one from Cabela's designed to go on a bow sight) on the barrel flat and check your front level. I am going to replace that front sight with one a lot more substantial. The one that came on the rifle is waaaaay too delicate to be used seriously but until UPS broke it and I had to REALLY take a good look at it, I had not noticed how flimsey it is and how easy it can be bent. If you have one, take a close look at yours and check it for any problems. It may explain those shots that land where you were not aiming or why you have to run in right or left windage when you hold the bubble correctly on the spirit level.

August
03-19-2007, 08:53 AM
I have had the exact experience -- except UPS actually bent the tube that holds the sight. Vial was broken. I got a couple of vials from AMT, but the damage was so extensive that all I could do was use a little glue to hold the end caps on when I was finished bending it all back into shape.

I was concerned about the vial being level, then I realized the purpose of a level sight is more for holding the rifle in the exact same orientation for every shot than it is for holding the rifle level. So, close was good enough.

All in all, I'd say these things are a real PITA to repair and, once broken, they have to be replaced. Lee Shaver, of all people, should have known better.

Get the Buffalo Arms catalogue and start planning your purchase. Ironically, I think I'm going to get the Globe sight with the level inside -- made by Lee.

One more thing: UPS REALLY, REALLY, REALLY SUCKS !!!!!

Black Prince
03-19-2007, 01:37 PM
I would get a sight with the level inside, but I have had surgery on my sight eye and I can not see the bubble inside it. I need bright light to shoot and be able to see the bubble even outside of the sight.

Actually, UPS was not at fault in the sight breaking. I sent it to Shaver completely wrapped in bubble wrap and told him to be very sure to do the same on return. He did not. It had a piece of clear packing tape over the front sight and that was all. He assured me that he would pack it carefully, but that was before I paid him with a credit card and he waited 10 days to give it to UPS even though he told me it was finished, packed and waiting for UPS on the day I paid him. Anybody with any brains at all could have told you it was not going to surrive the way he sent it back to me. I missed an important shooting match because he delayed in shipping it back to me. When I asked him about it, he said that he had been leaving his shop early because he was trying to buy a house. Any dam excuse will do I guess. And santa's sleigh is pulled by eight tiny rain deer don't you know?

Furthermore, when I called him and asked where I could get a level replacement, he told me he got the last ones he used from Browning or Brownell's. Funny, when I called Browning, they said they had not supplied sight parts since they quit making the rifle in 1998 and they gave me the phone number for AMT. Brownell's said they do not supply that sight vial and told me to contact AMT. I'm wondering just where Lee got those replacement levels he said he used.

Anyway, Mr. Shaver has had all the business he is ever going to get from me because of all of this which is a shame because he does good work.

PatMarlin
03-24-2007, 04:35 PM
That's just great.

Pay a guy good money to break your rifle. I so paranoid of UPS that I won't ship with them unless I have to, and you have to be shipping from an FFL with them anyway. They have screwed me over for the last time.

I just sold a set of cased Winchesters, and I built my own case where they would have to run it over to damage those rifles, then I shipped USPS.

Black Prince
03-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi Pat

I went to the range yesterday and shot 65 rounds (40-65 heavy loads) and the end caps did not come off the Browning front sight level, but on the first shot I noticed the bubble was about a half inch wide!!! The darn insert I got from AMT leaked down that far with the rifle standing in the safe. By the time I was finished shooting, there was no liquid in the vial.

So today I installed ANOTHER one because I bought two of them.

Your package looks similar to the way I had mine packed (sans the plywood case exterior) when it went up to Shaver. They could have driven over it with a truck and not hurt it. But Shaver did not pack it like that when it came back to me. It was half axxed done and UPS broke it ( I guess) they did. Either they did or Shaver did because it dam sure was not broke when I sent it up there and there is NO WAY that they could have broken it and Shaver never said anything about it being broke when he got it. He told me I could file a claim with UPS since he had insured the package.

Anyway, it is fixed for the second time now. If any of you boys ever have to do this, the level vials have a little lead or some sort of metalic looking dot on one end that seals the vial. When you push the vial into the cylinder, be SURE to push from the solid glass end (and these vials ARE REAL GLASS) and not that little sealed end because you may break the seal. I think that is what I did when I installed it the first time because I didn't notice that little seal thingie until today.

Nazgul
03-24-2007, 08:25 PM
I broke the sight level on my Browning BPCR gun. Tried everything to find a replacement globe. Glad I didn't find one now. Wanted one from Axtell in Montana, so that is the way I'll go.

They are very delicate.

PatMarlin
03-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Seems to me that Shaver autta be shakin' in his boots over what he's done to the great shadowy one, specially since it was all his fault in the first place.

I think he needs to pay up, and collect the impossible on his end.. :roll:

4060MAY
03-24-2007, 10:56 PM
buy a Baldwin sight and not have any of those problems.
the level comes separate and a tool to insert the sight
then install the level with two caps.
http://www.baldwin-sights.com/Front_Sight.htm

Black Prince
03-25-2007, 12:41 PM
4060 May

Those are great sights for good eyes, but for those of us who have had cataract eye surgery, they do not work because we can not see the spirit level in the dim light inside the globe. In fact, I can only see the Browning level outside the globe when it is in good sunlight and most days, I can not see it if I shoot under the cover over the range. I have to set up a portable bench out from under the cover to be able to get enough light on the front sight to see the bubble.

I have solved that problem however by simply mounting a bow sight level available from Cabela's on the barrel flat in front of the tang sights and I can see that, even under the range shed roof. We half blind old farts will find a way.

Gussy
03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
You guys with bum Browning sights want to sell them? Email at cornaggia@hscis.net
Gus

mazo kid
04-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Black Prince, have you ever tried the levels that install in the rear sight dovetail? Might be easier to see when it is closer to the eye? Emery

Black Prince
04-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Yes mazo and I have one mounted on my Shraps where the ladder sight was before I mounted the tang on the rear. But the Browning BPCR does not have a dovetail in it since it only has tang rear and globe front sights so unless I cut one, I'll just have to do what I am doing now, which works fine anyway. No biggie.

highwallbo
04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
UPS has those big delivery vans and the drivers load their own vehicles.Big vehicles give the high school drop out driver lots of room to throw your packages around.
Fed EX has mostly little vans and less room for the high school drop out drivers to throw your stuff around.