PDA

View Full Version : keeping alloy mixed

gofastman
02-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I just cast about 120lbs worth of ingots :veryconfu

I added about 5 lbs of pewter and 6lbs of Superhard to a bunch of sticky and clip WW's I melted down in a big dutch oven.

I'm wondering, once this stuff melts, how hard is it to keep all the alloys in suspension?

I occasionally added a handful of cedar chips to the melt and stirred pretty frequently, is that enough?

williamwaco
02-21-2012, 10:39 PM
It is not hard to keep them in suspension. In fact it is almost impossible to separate them.

We have some guys here who undrstand metalurgy. One of them willo be along shortly.

AndyC
02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
how hard is it to keep all the alloys in suspension?
Well, lead is the denser element in the alloy, so its atoms will, over time, sink through the other elements (tin, antimony,, etc) in the alloy due to gravity (the process is called clibation), so.... a typical 10lb block should last perhaps 4 months perfectly fine as-is. Easiest way to keep them useable without re-smelting is to flip the ingots over every couple of months or so.

454PB
02-21-2012, 11:20 PM
You gotta be careful AndyC. We've got newbies on here that believe that stuff.

AndyC
02-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Darn, now you've ruined my fun :)

Yes - I was totally kidding, although I did like the mental image I had of folks checking their calendar... "It's April, Mabel, gotta go flip them darn ingots again..." ;)

stubshaft
02-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Think of it like this:

If you add 1 tsp of milk to 1 cup of water, no matter how much you heat, let it rest or stir it, you are not going to get the milk out of it. Nor will you be able to concentrate the milk into certain parts of the water.

1bluehorse
02-22-2012, 01:15 AM
Well, lead is the denser element in the alloy, so its atoms will, over time, sink through the other elements (tin, antimony,, etc) in the alloy due to gravity (the process is called clibation), so.... a typical 10lb block should last perhaps 4 months perfectly fine as-is. Easiest way to keep them useable without re-smelting is to flip the ingots over every couple of months or so.

ROFLMAO..........[smilie=l: that is so bad and you should be ashamed of yourself....[smilie=p:

runfiverun
02-22-2012, 01:20 AM
wow.
i read andy's post and my stomach sank.
once you have stuff in the alloy it's in there.
you will lose some through oxidation on top of the pot a good fluxing will return almost all of it back to the alloy.

220swiftfn
02-22-2012, 04:28 AM
Darn, now you've ruined my fun :)

Yes - I was totally kidding, although I did like the mental image I had of folks checking their calendar... "It's April, Mabel, gotta go flip them darn ingots again..." ;)

Kinda like that cheese, huh??

Dan

popper
02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
clibation - Does that stand for Coors Libation?

AndyC
02-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Someone give that man a beer - he got it!! :D

Rockydog
02-23-2012, 08:53 AM
I think Andy got his alloy mixed up with Dynamite. Which does have to be turned or the nitro glycerin will settle to one side in some older styles making it extremely unstable. RD

Hardcast416taylor
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I`m thinking Andy fell down and hit his head a few too many times as a child?:bigsmyl2:Robert

Nose Dive
02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Shame on you guys! Honest question...needs a good answer. "how does the caster keep all alloys mixed in the pot"? Or, "how does he mix his Lead, Tin, and Antimony"? in the pot...shame..shame...shame.

Nose Dive.

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.