PDA

View Full Version : Roof boots

kentuckycajun
02-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Have a friend in the roofing business, and he saved me about 25-30 roof boots (nice sooooffft lead) with the promise of more to come. (free [smilie=w:)

Most of these have a roll looking crimp where the pipe shaft meets the flashing, but some have what appears to be bright silver solder at the seam. Is this possibly lead/tin solder wipe? And what would be the way to separate this (if possible) before I melt these down?

crabo
02-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Just melt down as they are and skim the trash off. You've got pure lead with some tin.

stubshaft
02-21-2012, 11:54 PM
I used to cut the solder joints out with tin snips and save them to sweeten other alloys and insure that the lead was pure.

You don't have to, but I like dead soft for my rocklocks.

beagle
02-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Yep! That's tin alloy at the joint. I scored three when they reroofed my house./beagle

kentuckycajun
02-22-2012, 02:08 AM
SWEEEET!!!

I used to cut the solder joints out with tin snips and save them to sweeten other alloys and insure that the lead was pure.

Now why didn't I think of that........:killingpc

turtlezx
02-22-2012, 03:55 PM
How old of a house to have lead used on the roof??

geargnasher
02-22-2012, 04:14 PM
They still use lead roof jacks here, you can buy them at the home stores for 2" soil stacks for about $25 each (choke!).

Gear

kentuckycajun
02-22-2012, 11:06 PM
In a couple of parished/towns down here, my buddy says that lead boots are still code, so anytime he does a local job, I'm in luck.

I asked him what they run new, and they're anywhere from $25-$39. depending on type/size.
:shock:

waynem34
02-22-2012, 11:27 PM
I have about 50 with a few nail holes in them.At that price id come out smelling like a rose.

kentuckycajun
02-23-2012, 04:25 AM
I have about 50 with a few nail holes in them.At that price id come out smelling like a rose.

Well I think they're only worth about ten cents each since they got nail holes in'em, but just to be fair I'd give you about 15 cents each... :kidding:

waynem34
02-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Well I think they're only worth about ten cents each since they got nail holes in'em, but just to be fair I'd give you about 15 cents each... :kidding:

Just add nails no more holes:bigsmyl2:Nail holes sold separatly.If anyone needs nail holes just let me know I have some for sell or trade. large and small. old and new

richhodg66
02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
I melted down a few I got from a demolition project a while back. They made great muzzle loader bullets. They're supposed to be tearing down a housing area here this year, I hope I can procure more of them.

Bob Krack
02-23-2012, 11:23 PM

I guess ya know that when ya melt'm the nail holes do NOT leave voids in the melt?

:mrgreen:

Bob

waynem34
02-23-2012, 11:49 PM
I guess ya know that when ya melt'm the nail holes do NOT leave voids in the melt?

:mrgreen:

Bob

You stack the nail holes on tope of each other and make hp.

CollinLeon
02-24-2012, 12:02 AM
About 10 years ago, I owned a house that had the leaded roof stacks like this. Ended up having to replace them because a damn squirrel like to sharpen his teeth on them and they started leaking... I wasn't reloading my own ammo back then (much less actually casting bullets), so I just threw them away and bought new ones. There's no way I would do that these days.

waynem34
02-24-2012, 12:21 AM
About 10 years ago, I owned a house that had the leaded roof stacks like this. Ended up having to replace them because a damn squirrel like to sharpen his teeth on them and they started leaking... I wasn't reloading my own ammo back then (much less actually casting bullets), so I just threw them away and bought new ones. There's no way I would do that these days.

I've seen lead vent collars on slate rooves eaten completly.I always wondered what they were doing.Chiseling away spiting it out.We have large grey squirrels here in Virginia.

CollinLeon
02-24-2012, 12:33 AM
I've seen lead vent collars on slate rooves eaten completly.I always wondered what they were doing.Chiseling away spiting it out.We have large grey squirrels here in Virginia.

The way that I understand it is that like all rodents, their teeth continue to grow and they must keep grinding them down / sharpening them. It is enough of a problem that the power line companies often put plastic sheet wrapping the power poles so that the squirrels can't climb up to the lines. Use to be that we would get a lot more power outages because the squirrels would climb up on the lines, chew on them, or electrocute themselves on the transformers.

beagle
02-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Those nail holes will make voids in your boolits. I'll dispose of them for you./beagle

mold maker
03-01-2012, 03:13 PM
My first experience with squirrel damage was to the battery terminals on my boat. Darn fuzzy tailed rats ate the whole posts off a new battery. It must have swallowed the lead, cause there was no shavings near by.
My only joy was thinking of him passing those shards.

jsizemore
03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
My first experience with squirrel damage was to the battery terminals on my boat. Darn fuzzy tailed rats ate the whole posts off a new battery. It must have swallowed the lead, cause there was no shavings near by.
My only joy was thinking of him passing those shards.

There's a squirrel that's not going to college because of lead poisoning.

03-02-2012, 02:54 AM
Will these boots work for 45 Colt or do I have to add to it? I too got a bunch from a demo job. I also got every lead joint in both buildings.

Jammer Six
03-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Lead vent boots are still a top-of-the-line feature.

Cheap is the rubber-sheet metal boots you see at Homeless Despot.

CollinLeon
03-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Lead vent boots are still a top-of-the-line feature.

Cheap is the rubber-sheet metal boots you see at Homeless Despot.

Well, the last time I had to replace one, Home Depot handled lead replacements.

Maybe lead is better, but if you live in a place where there is an abundance of furry tailed rats that have a taste for them, it might be better to choose something that is not quite so tasty to them.

I guess another choice might be to convert your house to use the AAVs instead of the vent stacks. I've heard about them, but never had a house with them. What's your opinion of them Jammer? I'm inclined to use them in my next house since it would be a few less potential leak points in the roof. Might even convert my current house to them when it's time for a new roof.

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Plumbing/air-admittance-valves

Jammer Six
03-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I've never used them. In general, I prefer to avoid any kind of mechanics in that type of function, and stick with things that are infinite and permanent, like gravity.

Seeing Hadrian's Wall changed my opinions forever about what lasts and what doesn't and why.

CollinLeon
03-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I've never used them. In general, I prefer to avoid any kind of mechanics in that type of function, and stick with things that are infinite and permanent, like gravity.

In general, a good philosophy... Having said that, I definitely prefer the fuel injection on one of my motorcycles to the carbs on the other one... :)

The fuel injection seems to handle the ethanol contamination of the fuel a lot better than the carbs do.

In this case here though, the lead stacks are not being permanent thanks to those furry tailed rodents. Although the plumbing system continues to work as designed, you're still going to be doing maintenance on it with replacing the roof stack flashing.

Given a choice of replacing a device that might only need to climb up in the attic to replace vs having to climb on a steeply pitched roof and remove / loosen shingles, I'll take the climbing in the attic any day, especially if the AAV is just screwed into the pipe and as such, I don't need to cut and glue the new one in.

I've never tried AAVs, so I'm just giving my impression on them vs my experience with the damn furry tailed rodents and their affinity for lead roof stacks.

Is there much of a problem with squirrel eating the lead up there in the PNW?

Jammer Six
03-02-2012, 12:26 PM
This thread is the first I've heard of it.

CollinLeon
03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
This thread is the first I've heard of it.

Interesting... Apparently your squirrels are smart enough to not eat lead. It's a fairly common problem in the southern part of the US. Maybe we just have a lot more of those tree rats.

geargnasher
03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Tree rats love lead cable sheathing, and rock squirrels will burrow into the ground and eat the insulation and transmitters of buried FO cable. It seems the FO cable sheathing was made of a soy-based plastic at one time, and tasted good to the rodents.

The little barsteds will absolutely demolish automobile and trailer wiring.

Gear

Jammer Six
03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
You know, this could be one of those issues that my subs have always shielded me from-- one of those things that has always been happening, and they've always dealt with it, and if they heard me say I'd never heard of it, they'd say "well, yeah! You've got me!"

Jailer
03-04-2012, 12:28 AM
I worked for a roofer part time for 3 summers a while back and never saw a single lead roof jack or lead flashing on any of the jobs we were on. They all had galvanized or plastic boots and we replaced them with plastic.

CollinLeon
03-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Lead is probably a better choice, but if you have tree rats that have a taste for them, maybe not... :)

dualsport
03-04-2012, 02:12 AM
I've scored a bunch of rolls of lead sheeting. It's soft. Is that used for flashing too?

CollinLeon
03-04-2012, 01:00 PM
I've scored a bunch of rolls of lead sheeting. It's soft. Is that used for flashing too?

I think I've seen flashing made from lead, but not in quite awhile... These days all I see are aluminum or galvanized steel...

A lot of the roofers these days seem to be using some sort of weaving technique where there is no need for flashing in the valleys anymore (or at least none is exposed)...