PDA

View Full Version : Trim to length dies

Jim
03-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Doesn't somebody make a die you run the case in and you file the case to length with? Seems like I heard something like that a coupla years back.
If any of y'all know who makes these critters, how 'bout lemme know.

Thanks,
Jim

Phil
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I think about all the major manufacturers offer them. RCBS does for sure, a check on Midway's site will show you which other makers have them. I find them more useful for sawing excess length off quickly when making one caliber out of another.

Cheers,

Phil

Hackleback
03-19-2007, 12:04 AM
The ones I have are from Redding. Check Midway.

Jim
03-19-2007, 05:48 AM
I was on Midway's site last night and couldn't find them. How should I look for them with the search engine?

Thanks,
Jim

NVcurmudgeon
03-19-2007, 10:02 AM
I was on Midway's site last night and couldn't find them. How should I look for them with the search engine?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim, Midway's web site can be hard to use for me, too. Dial 1-800-243 3220 and a nice lady will help you find it.

Kraschenbirn
03-19-2007, 10:07 AM
If you enter "trim dies" in the box for "product # or description", you'll get something like 25 pages (@ 20 items/page) indexed by manufacturer.

Bill

Char-Gar
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Both RCBS and Redding make file trim dies and I use them allot. Bear in mind there are differences in these two makes, to wit:

1) RCBS makes their file trim dies to full length size die size, so when you put the case in the die it will also full length size the cases. This is good if you want to full length size your case and bad if you don't.

2) Redding dies are cut larger so they won't size the cases. These are good if you are trying to keep your fired cases fitted to the rifle chamber.

Midway does not carry the entire line of the various makers. They cherry pick for the best sellers. Graf, Mid-South and others mail order houses carry the entire line.

STP
03-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Charger,
Boy am I glad to mentioned that tidbit about the RCBS trim die...

I`ve yet to rely on the trim dies, as I have used RCBS, Wilson, and a Forster trimmers for such work. I did pick up a used set of RCBS .221 Fireball dies at a local shop for $10 that happened to also contain a trim die, shellholder, and an extended shellholder. But I never got around to trying it out.

I just attended a show at Mt. Morris (Pa.) and found an RCBS trim die for 30-06 on a table for a mere 5 bucks. It was a 60`s vintage example, unused, with the green 2-piece box with the instruction sheet. I wiped it off and read the instructions quickly, and put on the shelf when I got home.

I just re-read the instruction sheet, and it mentions FL sizing first, then using the sized brass in the die. I never would have thought about using it as a FL die. A test for another day...

Thanks

floodgate
03-19-2007, 07:03 PM
STP:

The older RCBS file trim dies could be gotten either oversize, like the Reddings, or cut tight for F/L sizing; I guess the latter type is all they make now, but some of mine, bought in the '60's and '70's, are like your .30-'06 one, and only size lightly on the neck, enough to line things up and keep the case mouth from distorting with the saw or file. One of the fine-tooth X-Acto "razor saws" does a nice job of "roughing" and a few swipes with a 6" single-cut flat file and a swipe in and out with the chamfer tool does the job, neat and slick.

Doug

Shawrco
03-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Both RCBS and Redding make file trim dies and I use them allot. Bear in mind there are differences in these two makes, to wit:

1) RCBS makes their file trim dies to full length size die size, so when you put the case in the die it will also full length size the cases. This is good if you want to full length size your case and bad if you don't.

2) Redding dies are cut larger so they won't size the cases. These are good if you are trying to keep your fired cases fitted to the rifle chamber.

I've never used file trim dies either. I have a case trimmer, and I guess my technique must be bad because I don't always get square case mouths. I've been considering a trim die for the 284 Win I recently purchased. My question is "What length are they designed to produce, the trim-to lenght figure that's published in reloading manuals?" Is the trim-to lenght a SAMI dimension on rule of thumb coupla thou less than case lenght, do all the manuals have the same trim-to length, etc.?

Thanks. I hope this isn't considered hi-jacking a thread, but it does have to do with the working of a trim die.

Char-Gar
03-20-2007, 09:24 PM
You really need to check with the makers to find out the length. I have never taken the time to measure and check against various books, drawings and spec sheets. IMHO it doesn't really matter. The ideas is to keep the case from growing into the barrel throat and also to produce a nice square neck.

I have poped a few cases that have been through the file trim dies into Wilson case gages and the cases look to be between the max and mininum steps, which is OK with me.