View Full Version : range day

Bear Claw
03-18-2007, 06:52 PM
Hi all

Well I got to take out the new Shiloh, Had a great day, It shoots great
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/74sharps/3-17-07sharps1stshoot039.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/74sharps/3-17-07sharps1stshoot032.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/74sharps/3-17-07sharps1stshoot031.jpg
IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/74sharps/3-17-07sharps1stshoot029.jpg[/IMG]
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/74sharps/3-17-07sharps1stshoot028.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u241/74sharps/3-17-07sharps1stshoot027.jpg

Bigjohn
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
Good to see you have finally come out of your stupor over having received your 'Sharps' and are now shooting it.

I hope the journey you are about to commence in earnest is up to your expectations.

BTW, nice pictures and a lovely rifle, I would be proud to own one myself.

Have fun along the way, Bear Claw.

:drinks:

John.

Bear Claw
03-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanks Bigjohn

It has been an adventure so far, I had some kinks in the reloading for it
took a few days to iron them out, And I have to say that a boolit alloy of 30-1 is what I will be using for some time, I only loaded 50rds for that day but was supprized in that I was on paper with my 1st shot and after 3 shots I could keep all shots inside the 9 ring at 200yds on an sr21c target, not spectacular but good for 2 1/2 to 3 inch's at 200 on my 1st try.

I want to THANK everyone who helped me along the way here, I have enjoyed talking with all of you and hope to have somthing of value to offer here in the future.

About ALLOY to all who advised caution about WW let me say "you were right" And I will only use "the good stuff" from now on.

Also I would like to offer this:: Mr Bill Goodman is great to do buisness with, If anyone you know wants to buy a gun that is as advertised you can trust Mr Goodman. And a special note about Mr John Walters, of Walters wads, Folks this is as fine and nice a man as you will ever meet He as much as all of you has helped me alot, answered every dumb a$$ question with care and consideration so if he has what ya need give him a call you will be happy..

Cheers to you all and many thanks Bear Claw:drinks:

Buckshot
03-19-2007, 03:19 AM
.................That's a very fine looking instrument for "Doing something here, and having something else happen WAAAAAAAAYYY out there" :-) It's nice to have nice things!

..................Buckshot

carpetman
03-19-2007, 03:47 AM
BearClaw--Im confused--You saying thanks to all that advised against wheelweights and they were right? Gosh am I going to have to buy an expensive gun to learn wheelweights aren't good? My cheap ones seem to like them.

SharpsShooter
03-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Handsome rifle. Sounds like it is going to be a good shooter too. What load did you try? Powder, Boolit etc?

SS

Boz330
03-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Less than 2 MOA at that distance with those sights ain't a bad start. If I could maintain that all the time I would be one happy camper. BTW that is one beautiful rifle.

Bob

kodiak1
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
All that money spent and no Tang Sight!!!!!!!
Jeez Louise.
Ken.

Bear Claw
03-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Well lets see here,,,

The load that day was 61gr ff goex .30 walters wad under a 457125 from 30-1
pan lube w/spg rem 9 1/2 mag primers, boolits shot as cast.

All the ww I tried from my casting were to big to chamber properly, they seemed to be a few thousands bigger in size in the wrong places, so I got some 30-1 from john walters and that cast up just fine and fit so well I could hand seat them wich is a good thing since my seating stem is rough on the nose's of my boolits.

Tang sights?? well thats next, I am trying to make up my mind what I want, I am kinda leanin towards the MVA mid-range vern. and the front w/ a level.

Bear Claw:drinks:

Black Prince
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
oooouuuueeeee!!! That is some kinda purdy rifalgun ya got thar Bear Jaw. Shore shoots gud too doan it? Soon as you git sum sho-nuff sights on it, ya can kill squirrels an sech wid it.

I had heard Goodamn was the genuire article and it is good to hear the information was correct. I found your remarks regarding wheel weights interesting in that I started out with all the pure metals and exact ratios on my bullets and ended up shooting WW's because they shot the best!! Go figure.

But since your rifle is a quality rifle, maybe it has a better chamber throat than mine and I need a harder bullet to keep it from being deformed in the sloppy throat area. Who knows?

I am happy for you old pard. May you shoot all 10's and the rifle bring you joy and great pleasure. Sharps have a way of doing that, don't they?

Black Prince who is feeling the Evan Williams kicking in about now. Ahhhhhhhh . .

Dale53
03-20-2007, 12:03 AM
Bear Claw;
The MVA or Baldwin sights are hard to beat. However, they are PRICY! I have had really good luck in a competitive sense with the Parts Unknown sights. They are well made, considerably less expensive than competitive brands and the service is above reproach. Further, with the new Long Range Soule (good to 1000 yards) or Mid Range Soule (good to 600 yards) you can easily split one "point" into five parts (repeatable elevation adjustments to one fifth of a minute). The Mega Soule will give you almost more windage than you know what to do with. Make no mistake, these are fine sights and represent a real value:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,237.html

Dale53

Boz330
03-20-2007, 09:32 AM
BC, DON"T skimp on sights if you are even considering any competition. Been there done that, might as well save you some money. I already have a PHD from the school of hard knocks or hard heads and I'm telling you straight.

Bob

wills
03-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Bear Claw;
the Parts Unknown sights. They are well made, considerably less expensive than competitive brands and the service is above reproach. Further, with the new Long Range Soule (good to 1000 yards) or Mid Range Soule (good to 600 yards) you can easily split one "point" into five parts (repeatable elevation adjustments to one fifth of a minute). The Mega Soule will give you almost more windage than you know what to do with. Make no mistake, these are fine sights and represent a real value:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,237.html

Dale53

And they are marked on both sides of the staff.

Bear Claw
03-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks Dale I will look into those P U K sights:drinks:

Bigjohn
03-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Ahhhh! I just had to come back here and rest my eyeballs on a fine example of the riflesmiths craft,

A closer look has certainly raised the spectre of my desire to own one of these rifles.

Must find the Australian importer again.

John.

Jon K
03-23-2007, 11:42 PM
BC,

Are you on first name basis with the UPS/Fedex drivers, and know their daily arrival times? If not don't worry you will.

Bigjohn,

Sounds like you're getting the bug. If you get chance to meet up with a Shiloh owner at the range, ask to handle it and shoot it that's all it takes to put you over the edge.
Craftsmanship, quality, and too many more to mention.
All those things you don't use anymore, all the "safe queens" that are nice to look at, but not being used, and on and on, how fast they can be turned into payment for what you thought you couldn't afford.
That's how I did it, and haven't looked back.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

WBH
04-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Good luck on your new toy. I certainly don't want to rain on the parade, but, I would be somewhat disappointed in the buttstock wood. The figure is nice, but the "pithyness" of the grain is a bit to "open" for their kind of quality. The pores are harder to hide with an oil finish (as yours looks to have) than a urethane type finish, but again, I would ask them to provide a tighter grain if it was my rifle. The wood to metal finish is up to their usual high standard.

montana_charlie
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
The figure is nice, but the "pithyness" of the grain is a bit to "open" for their kind of quality.
The grain (in that pretty piece of walnut) can be filled with multiple applications the 'steel wool and fresh oil' process, and would result in fully finished wood.
Shiloh offers something similar in their AAA finish (for $286), and they have a half step called the AA finish (for $154). The 'sanded & sealed' look seems to be their 'standard' finish, judging from the few Shilohs I have actually seen.

For another $50, they offer a glass bedded forearm - which sounds like an accuracy thing.
But, since the forearm should touch the barrel and nothing else...and most guys rest the gun on the barrel steel...you realize that increased accuracy isn't the goal. They recommend the 'bedding' to prevent the forearm from warping due to moisture.
CM

Bear Claw
04-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Ahhhhh.. No rain or parade:-D I agree it is "open" but I am happy with it anyway [smilie=1: and I am sure it will get it's share of dents and dings anyway.... No show piece's for me they are all tools:-D

Bear Claw:drinks:

MLR
04-09-2007, 06:37 PM
BC
When I was looking for my tang sights I was thinking mid-range too. Someone on the Shiloh forums pointed out to me how small the price difference is between the mid and long range sights. Its something to think about. I decided to go with the long range. If I ever need the longer staff I will have it there.

Michael

Rambunctious
04-12-2007, 08:45 PM
"The figure is nice, but the "pithyness" of the grain is a bit to "open" for their kind of quality"

It's wood. It grows on trees. But plastic is available if you so desire.

I personally don't care for the totally smooth look on my gun stocks because it looks too... prissy. Not to mention it looks like it's been coated with Varathane. But it's not the wood itself and, if a shooter prefers, it can be treated with a variety of grain-filling techniques to make it look like a Walmart special. :roll:

WBH
04-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I detect an attitude there RH............Ain't no need for that on this board. We all have our opinions, just keep it polite.

felix
04-12-2007, 11:28 PM
My dad would go ape over that gun, holy stock and all. He always wanted one of those beauties in the back of his mind, but never took the dive into his pocket book. 9 kids to send to college. So, I grew up with converted military guns, and deep down the family didn't take a fancy for them because they were "seconds". Late in life my dad and sons living in the area finally got into fancy grade shotguns after some encouragement from my brothers. The family (not me) became expert clay bird shooters. ... felix

Rambunctious
04-13-2007, 12:03 PM
No attitude WBH, it's just how I, personally, prefer my gunstocks. :)

You been down to the local gunshops lately and looked at a new Browning A-Bolt? They have so much finish on the wood that it certainly does look like plastic. It's just my personal opinion that I happen to like the more natural look on a rifle, especially on a 1874 repro. A glossy finish just doesn't seem to fit in. Besides that, it won't stand up to the abuse it will go through if it's used regularly to compete with.

BearClaws gun looks beautiful the way it is. The finish that Shiloh uses is Formby's Low Gloss Tung Oil Finish and it can be used to recoat the stock for a thicker finish or to just touch up any scratches very easily. When you go to the high gloss finish it ain't so easy anymore! I agree with BC when he states "No show piece's for me they are all tools". I don't want to cry if I happen to fall down while carrying it across a pile of rocks.

Boz330
04-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I love a great looking new gun but in reality I can't really enjoy it till it gets that first ding or scratch. I shoot all of my guns, there are no safe queens and if you hunt with them it is hard to not bang them every now and then. Like myself they have honest wear and tear.

Bob

Woodtroll
04-13-2007, 06:41 PM
I read a lot here, and say little, but it strikes me as strange that a man that uninvitedly critiques (maybe even insults) another fellow's gun would also free to call someone else on their "attitude".