PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and easy bullet trays

gl89aw
02-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Pardon me if this has been posted before but I was getting set up to make some .30 cal. bullet trays and had just got started when it occurred to me that if I took a couple of the plastic trays that are in the ammo boxes and cut the height down by about 2/3rds or so they should work, took less than 10 min. to cut 2 down with a hacksaw and de-burr They work great for me.

sundog
02-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Both small and large size tuna cans. Cut discs from primer boxes, heavy targets (already used, of course), or any other stiff paper/light cardboard, to separate layers. Sometimes plastic ammo boxes and stack as tall in each hole as the lid will allow. Just about anything that no cost (or very little) involved.

Until they get size/loobed, they sit in bulk in coffee cans (metal and plastic) mostly.

Tulsa, eh? Where y'all shoot at?

beagle
02-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Small cardboard shipping boxes seperated like Sundog said in layers from old cartridge boxes.....that's for the bulk stuff like .38, 9mm, .44 and .45.

The smaller quantities are store sized and lubed in the 100 round plastic .22 boxes you find around the range and labeled on the end with masking tape.

Did you guys see that fellow on E-Bay that's auctioning off these .22 boxes and apparently doing well at it? Are we missing a prime source of revenue here?/beagle

felix
02-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Cigar boxes hold lubed boolits well. See your local cigar smoke shop if nearby. ... felix

454PB
02-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I like the Ziploc plastic food containers. You can see what's inside, and they have covers.

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-22-2012, 01:31 PM
not the cheapest, but for me the best: bulk buy the Dillon or Berry translucent 100rd pistol boxes. Coffee cans until I sort and lube, then into the boxes. They last forever, and with the snap lid, do not EVER come open and spill on their own.

Rich

captaint
02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
I save the clear plastic boxes that so many snackie things come in. Cut cardboard for the layers and away we go - and I can see what I have left after I start using em. Mike

John Guedry
02-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Altoid tins.

Iron Mike Golf
02-22-2012, 11:35 PM
I am doing handgun boolits only. I find the Staples "Really Useful Box" in 0.7 liter size is, well, really useful for boolit storage. I can get 200+ 44 or 45 cal in one of these boxes in 3 layers. I separate layers with 3x5 cards. Not sure how many 9mm or 38/357, but it's a good bit more.

These boxes have lids and stack nice. Full of boolits, it's about as heavy as I want in a single container wile reloading.

midnight
02-22-2012, 11:52 PM
Check out your local Wallyworld. I went in with a friend who just wanted to pick up one thing. Knowing him, he can take a ˝hr to get one thing so I said I'd stay by the door (where I could sit down) and wait. Well it took forever so I walked around by the end checkout and they had these nice fairly sturdy plastic boxes that snap shut. I think the are for kids to put school stuff in. they are 8in. x 5in. and 2in. high. As I walked away I noticed the price. 10˘ ea. I grabbed all I could carry. They are stackable too.

Bob

Bob

Roger Ronas
02-23-2012, 12:58 AM
I looked at staples.com and can't find these. Do you have a part number or a link? Are they cardboard? They sound about what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Roger

I am doing handgun boolits only. I find the Staples "Really Useful Box" in 0.7 liter size is, well, really useful for boolit storage. I can get 200+ 44 or 45 cal in one of these boxes in 3 layers. I separate layers with 3x5 cards. Not sure how many 9mm or 38/357, but it's a good bit more.

These boxes have lids and stack nice. Full of boolits, it's about as heavy as I want in a single container wile reloading.

geargnasher
02-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Cigar boxes hold lubed boolits well. See your local cigar smoke shop if nearby. ... felix

Like this?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28901&d=1296091775

The layers of boolits are separated by Carquest engine gasket backers, it's 1/8" heavy compressed recycled cardboard that's coated with slick, non-stick paint on both sides.

Gear

beagle
02-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Felix, you and I are about the same age so we remember cigar boxes. The El Reeseos and Hav-a Tampas. I don't think cigar smokers smoke these El Ropo de Hemps anymore but they were sure nice if reinforced with fiberglass tape.

These guys nowadays smoke good stuff that comes in tubes and you have to take out a loan for a box of Dutch Masters anymore.

The best source I have found is to check with your Ace Hardware and ask them to save you the screw and bolt boxes when they restock. Many of these have the reinforced corners and work really well. When I was a loggie, I saved 'em all for me when I restocked the bins. Over the years, people keep visiting and I load them down with boolits to try and my stash is about gone.

RCBS use to ship parts in the nicest slip top boxes but the last stuff I got was in a plastic bubble pack but you can't complain about a box when the parts were free./beagle

WHITETAIL
02-26-2012, 09:26 AM
I am also acheepe.
My wife can't throw out any container
or carboard with out me checking
to see if I can put it to work for somthing.:Bright idea:

Whiterabbit
02-27-2012, 02:27 AM
oh my god i am doing this. I scavenge 10mm trays at the range for loading blocks cause 45ACP don't fit for me. Takes forever to get even one 20 round loading block.

But those 45 acp would be PERFECT for storing bullets in quantities of 50. They are plentiful and FREE at the range. I will definitely snag a ton of them.

I wonder if they can be put to use for pan lubing too. Would be easy to keep the bullets from touching that way!

Casper29
02-28-2012, 04:45 AM
My Wife likes to shop at craft store so I tag along and find alot of differnt boxes made from wood, plastic, card board in every shape and size you can think of. they usually have a clearance bin by the front doors or in the middle of the isle were you get them for cheep.

Artful
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
USPS has boxes for free and the little ones are sturdy enough for storing boolits without issue. You can even seal them for later use.

nanuk
03-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I "Recycle" cardboard from the drop bins and build my own boxes when I ship stuff.

that way I can make them double/triple sided for strength

I've saved some smaller boxes to keep as templates. I like the Small FRB from USPS.

Iron Mike Golf
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I looked at staples.com and can't find these. Do you have a part number or a link? Are they cardboard? They sound about what I'm looking for.
Thanks
Roger

I don't see them online either at Staples. Here's a link to the manufacturer:

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b00_7litre.php

FrankG
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
The small flat rate usps boxes ya get in the mail work great if ya are careful opening them . I glue the corners to re enforce them . They stack well !

Roger Ronas
03-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Thank you Iron Mike

I don't see them online either at Staples. Here's a link to the manufacturer:

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/rub/b00_7litre.php

Alchemist
03-01-2012, 11:22 PM
MTM case-card has a new box out designed for storing cast boolits. They come in two packs. I haven't found 'em anywhere yet except their website.