PDA

View Full Version : FA Model 83 vs Model 97

PacMan
02-21-2012, 10:29 AM
From the weight diffrence between the two the 83 must have a larger frame and cylinder and is chambered in larger calibers.
What would you guys say are the pros and cons of each model in .357 or 45 colt? I find it strange that they do not offer the 97 in 44mag.
Thanks for any input.
Dwight

44man
02-21-2012, 12:02 PM
From the weight diffrence between the two the 83 must have a larger frame and cylinder and is chambered in larger calibers.
What would you guys say are the pros and cons of each model in .357 or 45 colt? I find it strange that they do not offer the 97 in 44mag.
Thanks for any input.
Dwight
Buy a BFR!:mrgreen:

Hammerhead
02-21-2012, 01:09 PM
The 97 isn't large enough for the .44 mag's pressures.
I have the 97 in .357, the 83 is too big IMO for the .357.
Anything specific you want to know?

frankenfab
02-21-2012, 01:45 PM
I had a 97 in .41 Mag. It wasn't very fun to shoot because of the recoil of the lighter gun. The test target that came with it was one ragged hole, though. I traded if off and ordered a 10" Model 83 in .41.

stubshaft
02-22-2012, 12:14 AM
The 97 is about perfect for 357's, and although heavier the 83 works for everything on up.

2 dogs
02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
The model 97 is not intended for a heavy loads like the 83.

Ed K
02-22-2012, 02:44 PM
While the grip frame of the 83 is the best I've ever used, that of the 97 is cramped for me and I've seen many similar comments. Be sure to handle a 97 before buying.

freedom475
02-24-2012, 11:54 PM
The 97 is a small gun....But for a small gun it feels so great...I would sure advise against handling one unless you have the $ to buy one.

I had the 97 in the 45 colt and shot it loaded as hot as any 44mag. I asked FA about my load and pressure and they said it would hold the pressure but it was intentially designed to hurt if you loaded it that hot just so guys wouldn't do it[smilie=1:.... when I asked where it would break, they refused to answer me with a number, but said my high pressure 45's weren't going break it. But the 45 kind of sucked because of it's short cylinder, so you really had to watch boolit length. It would tie up real easy if a bullet jumped crimp.

I think the 97 in 357 would be an awsome 357!

I would have to call the 4 1/4" 97 the very best packing single action you could buy.

The 83 is about perfection for big guns..but I can't see having one in anything smaller than the 454 and the 475 is actually more fun because the recoil is slower.

FN in MT
02-25-2012, 12:42 AM
I've got a 4 1/4" M-97 in .44 Special. It's very accurate, great trigger, packs nicely in an EPS Tom Threepersons ....About all a .44 Special lover could want.

They ARE light and as has been mentioned the recoil with the .45 Colts gets your attention...and theres the issue with the short cylinder in that ctg too.

I like my .44 Special but have felt that the same gun, set up for the .41 Mag or shorter .41 Special would be about THE perfect packing SA. While still retaining enough power if needed here in MT for a big bear, unhappy moose, etc.

As far as chambered in .357 mag....I'd just as soon carry a 4" S&W K frame for the ease of loading.

About my only complaint would be the SHARP edges on the rear sight assembly.

FN in MT

Dennis Eugene
02-25-2012, 02:52 AM
Let's see hmmm, "buy a BFR", and drive a VW Beetle instead of a Dodge Ram, ride a moped instead of a Harley, wear sweat pants in stead of blue jeans, smoke cigarettes instead of a cigar, go on welfare instead of to work, and so on and so forth. ;>) Dennis

44man
02-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Let's see hmmm, "buy a BFR", and drive a VW Beetle instead of a Dodge Ram, ride a moped instead of a Harley, wear sweat pants in stead of blue jeans, smoke cigarettes instead of a cigar, go on welfare instead of to work, and so on and so forth. ;>) Dennis
No gun has perfect bore and groove dimensions or throat dimensions of the BFR's. You only look at appearance but a bead blast will enhance a BFR. I own none that will do less then 1" or less at 100 yards. I shoot mine to 500 meters (547 yards).
You really like the tight lock up of the cylinder but it is a detriment to accuracy.
Do you know a Beetle can run wide open, peddle to the metal, forever without wearing out the engine?
RAM? Get real, I was a mechanic and Mopar junk was that---JUNK.
Ford, Chevy, etc---all junk.
Maybe you need to shoot a real gun like I drive real cars--Toyota.

jt1
02-25-2012, 08:53 PM
I've got a 97 in 45 Colt. It's a beautiful gun and very well made. Accuracy is spectacular.

Unfortunately, the grip just doesn't match up to my paw, it pounds my middle finger unmercifully. If possible, shoot one before you fork over the considerable $$$$$, so you'll know if it works for you.

john

white eagle
02-25-2012, 09:16 PM
No gun has perfect bore and groove dimensions or throat dimensions of the BFR's. You only look at appearance but a bead blast will enhance a BFR. I own none that will do less then 1" or less at 100 yards. I shoot mine to 500 meters (547 yards).
You really like the tight lock up of the cylinder but it is a detriment to accuracy.
Do you know a Beetle can run wide open, peddle to the metal, forever without wearing out the engine?
RAM? Get real, I was a mechanic and Mopar junk was that---JUNK.
Ford, Chevy, etc---all junk.
Maybe you need to shoot a real gun like I drive real cars--Toyota.

now I know you have been in the sun way to long :holysheep

L Ross
02-25-2012, 09:53 PM
If I read the OP correctly the question was FA model 83 vs model 97. A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy either one from a large sporting goods store for 200 less than their cost. They had been in inventory for 3 years unsold. I bought the Model 97 in 45 Colt w/ 5 1/2" bbl and my buddy bought the model 83 7 1/2" in 454. I have shot them both. Both are very accurate. Both are beautifully made. If my primary goal was to hunt with one I'd take the 83. I wanted a revolver I could comfortably carry all day and hit what I was aiming at that could take a deer if need be. I am happy with my choice, so much so I sent it back to FA for the 45 acp cylinder for added versatility as I had access to unlimited 45 acp brass.

Duke