PDA

View Full Version : -new to forum and CB's, reloading for an '88 Commission Rifle

chowan
02-21-2012, 02:12 AM
Howdy-

Maybe I'm posting in the wrong place, but I'll give this a shot.

I'm slowly building a rifle on an '88 Commission Rifle receiver. I have been told a '98 take off barrel can be fit to the action. The stock I'm likely to use arrived today.

Restoring to military is not a goal or possible, really; I want to end up with a poor man's stalking rifle in a cut down original stock with the aforementioned barrel.

A shooter, not necessarily a looker.

My reloading experience consists of shot shells, years ago. What I'm looking for, I guess, is a nickel tour of what I need to do to load 8X57 ammunition moderately with heavy-ish cast boolits.

How/where do I start?

Thanks.

frnkeore
02-21-2012, 02:53 AM
Excellent choice of a action.

To begin with, only the small ring barrel threads will work. You will have to use your barrel jacket or at least part of it for the front mounting screw. The shoulder on the barrel may have to be cut back to allow the threads to bottom in the receiver.

There are more barrels than the 8x57 that can be used. 6.5x55, 7x57, 7.65x53 Argintine will also thread in.

For the 8x57. You can use any 30-06 cast bullet starting load and work up. I would suggest 18.5 4759 or 19 gr 4227 and any bullet that is .001 - .003, larger than groove size

Frank

wellfedirishman
02-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Chowan, here is a range report I did recently for a Gewehr 88 (Commission 88) rifle.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=141735

There is some interesting discussion on the second page about the strength of the action (and treating it gently).

Depends on what you want to hunt, but a 200+ grain lead bullet moderate velocity (1500+ FPS) should be plenty for any deer size game I think. I am a big fan of Trailboss powder for anyone starting out reloading as it is very difficult to overcharge it.

The original Gew 88 barrels are plenty accurate from what I have seen.

chowan
02-23-2012, 06:29 PM
To clarify the above then, a small ring Mauser barrel has the same thread as an '88? I had decided on a '98 take off because there are so many available, and was told it can be re-threaded to '88 specs.

And, that range report was great- if I can't cast myself are 8mm boolits available precast?

a 200+ grain lead bullet moderate velocity (1500+ FPS) should be plenty for any deer size game I think

I heartily agree; if I can indeed put this together as a rifle I would use it as a tree stand gun at moderate range.

Thanks again.

frnkeore
02-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Yes, the thread is the same but, the shoulder may have to be removed. The head space will have to be checked and at least part of the barrel jacket will have to be used for the front action screw.

Frank

chowan
02-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Yes, the thread is the same but, the shoulder may have to be removed. The head space will have to be checked and at least part of the barrel jacket will have to be used for the front action screw.

Frank

Many thanks.