PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from my first ingot making session...

cf_coder
02-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Well, I finally went and bought a 6 quart cast iron dutch oven from Harbor Freight this weekend and decided to try melting some of the range scrap I've been collecting for the past month or so...

1) I originally tried smelting over a brick fire pit that I built out of some leftover pavers I had laying around. Quickly found out that feeding that fire is a full time job and that coals are not enough to get the pot hot enough unless it's sitting in them...
2) It's really easy to overfill a 6 quart dutch oven with range scrap. Not from the perspective of it overflowing, but from the perspective of having to dig through 3+ inches of empty bullet casings and dirt.
3) Dirt is a reallllly good insulator! I didn't realize how much dirt was in my buckets of scrap. And these were hand picked out of the berms, not raked up or run through a sieve. Made getting those bullets that were towards the top of the pile to do anything really difficult.
4) A coleman stove is really just a smidge too small to properly heat up a 6 quart dutch oven. It'll do it, but it takes a long time and is a waste of gas.

In the end, I removed about half of what I had put into the pot to melt, dealt with the copius amounts of dirt, casings and dross which seemed to take forever! Fluxed twice with dead leaves from the yard, and then poured some muffin pan ingots. It was a lot more work than I had anticipated. :-) I'm going to go buy a turkey fryer this week and give it another run this week. I think a lot of my frustration came from my inability to keep the pot hot enough. I had the lead solidifying around the edges until I was able to get the pot perfectly centered on the burner. It all turned out ok and I'm probably going to add these ingots to another pot later this week just to blend them all together...

Cheers!

letsmeltlead2693
02-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Try using a hotplate and a steel pan used for boiling water to melt lead. You can melt 10lbs at a time, but it is clean and uses no fuel. It wont melt zinc either. Look at my avatar pic, it is a pic of molten lead on a hotplate. If you want to melt a dutch oven full, get a turkey fryer and melt it on that.

Jal5
02-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Check craigslist for a turkey fryer, I think I picked up mine for about $20, can't beat the price. Joe

Inkman
02-21-2012, 02:45 AM
<------- Avatar pic is how i do it. Yes, it is work cleaning out the casings, dirt etc but the savings are huge if you shoot a bunch. All the fluxing (usually twice) is done in the iron pot after everything is picked out, so that i have very, very clean ingots for the Lee bottom pour when it is casting time.

I'm not getting paid for anything when i'm not a work so i don't consider "my time" as anything with a dollar amount attached to it. I could sit in front of the tv watching garbage and pay to have boolits sent to me ready to load OR i can use that time to save money, learn an enjoyable and lasting hobby like casting and feed my addiction for shooting.

I choose casting and everything related to it. YMMV.

Good luck and don't give up too soon

Al

stubshaft
02-21-2012, 03:08 AM
It's a start coder. Welcome to our world!

AndyC
02-21-2012, 03:28 AM
Sift it well before you smelt - as you noticed, the layer of dirt is a huge insulator :)

I got my turkey/fish fryer from Bass Pro - $29

cf_coder
02-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Yeah... a turkey fryer is definitely in my future. I need Mo Heat! LOL.

Since my range trash is bone dry, i've been starting with a smaller amount, say around 10 pounds and getting the garbage out before adding in another 10 pounds or so. Having a pot of hot lead seems to help with how quickly the rest melts.

birdadly
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I know you say your scrap is bone dry, but IF there ever happens to be a drop of water inside one of them, it may not be a nice experience for you. If you're going to do it that way (and I'm sure many people do) just make sure you're properly covered up please, especially your face. Congrats on a good start and good learning experience. Starting small and slow is better than not starting at all! -Brad

cf_coder
02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Yup... fully covered. Jeans, Jean jacket, long welding gloves, face shield... I should be good. No visits from the tinsel fairy, yet. I'm sure I'll have one at some point or another... :-)

C.F.Plinker
02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
You may also want to put a heavy lid on your pot when you heat up the cold lead. While it won't keep the tinsel fairy away it will help contain the mess she likes to make.

birdadly
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
I've read it speeds up melt time too! ...although I have not tried it yet; this summer I will though! -Brad

cf_coder
02-21-2012, 05:16 PM
The dutch oven that I have has a very heavy lid and I leave it on while smelting and it does appear to help speed up the smelting process. Though I will admit, I'm not the patient type... LOL. I peek far too often. LOL.

ErikO
02-21-2012, 07:33 PM
That's my plan, first Harbor Frieght then over to Ace Hardware. :)

Blue Hill
02-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I ran my first ingots this past weekend too. I got started on the cheap. A single burner hot plate for under $20 and a cast iron pot for about the same money. My biggest batch turned out to be just under 30 pounds of scrap lead after I poured it out. I use one of those tins for the mini loaves for my soft lead and a tin that makes square muffins for WW lead. That way there's no danger of mixing the two up. I get a rectangular ingot weighing about 4 pounds in the loaf pan and the square muffin pan gives me a 3.25 ingot of the WW. I found that sheilding my pot to keep the heat in and the drafts away helped a lot. I set up in my garage (winter here in Canada) and did my smelting using my blacksmith's forge for a table, so that the fumes and smoke went up the chimney. I fluxed with fine pine shavings that I bought at a pet store. In the end I ended up with 68 pounds of the WW and 78 pounds of the soft Pb. Thanks to all of the members of this forum for the info and advice. I've been reading all of your posts and soaking up the info like a sponge.