PDA

View Full Version : New place

Beekeeper
02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
OK here is one for your viewing pleasure.

I live in California, House is paid for as are all vehicles.
Am looking at maybe beating feet out of this place and want to buy land or home in a retired guy friendly state.
Am 75 years old so am not looking at a lot of time to live anywhere.
Have read a little (for me thats a lot) about no income tax states and so far am not impressed.

Need input from anyone willing about where to look.
Was thinking someplace "warm"
And no Texas is not an option.
Like the song says "all my exes live in Texas" well all my relatives live in Texas and being the black sheep they ask I not return.

beekeeper

jsizemore
02-20-2012, 11:30 PM
North Florida

02-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Go East till you hit the Texas border, then turn round . . . Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico.

Blacksmith
02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
My parents retired to Arizona liked it and had a good time. In AZ the weather depends on the elevation. They were in Sedona at about 4000 feet and it was just about right. At 2000' to hot in the summer at 6000' to cold in the winter. Go enjoy yourself.

oldgeezershooter
02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
I live at 5000' in N. Central Az. Great weather, 10 minutes to go shooting, cheap to live here, no nosy neighbors. About 25 mins. into town(Prescott) Property is cheap.

quilbilly
02-21-2012, 01:29 AM
Sequim is almost crowded with retired refugees from California. This community is in the rainshadow of the Olympic Mountains so averages only 15 inches of rain per year. The weather is more like the Central California coast most of the year though you can count on a couple snow days in December and January. Summer highs are usually in the low 70's with a few days in the 80's. I was checking on rents for my father-in-law who might also move up and the rents run around $600/month.

gandydancer
02-21-2012, 02:03 AM
all sounds good to me as long as there is no snow

Wayne Smith
02-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Don't worry so much about taxes. We lived in NH for years, no income tax. We moved to VA and LOML figured out how much it cost to live in each state. It was a wash, the only thing that differed was how they managed to take it out of your pocket.

jlchucker
02-21-2012, 12:09 PM
A lot of my local friends and retiring co-workers here in Vermont seem to be fleeing to Arizona. It used to be Florida folks would go to when they retired, but now local tastes seem to run to Arizona. I need to get there some day and see for myself.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
my grandparents retired to AZ after taking in the hole country by rv , they liked it there in the winter , but home is Wisconsin when the weather warms up

MtGun44
02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
North Fla has decent weather, moderate land prices away from the cities, NO income
taxes. Resonable gun laws, too. South FLA is a crazy place, and basically occupied
territory - the Mexicans and other Hispanics have pretty much taken over.

Texas has good gun laws, good climate in most places and NO income tax.

If you are like most older folks, shoveling snow and such has lost it's shine, if it
ever hand any! Most of the SE is pretty friendly, although Atlanta has been converted
to a mess which is very expensive and very difficult to drive around in. Most
of the rest of Ga is pretty good place. I have relatives in VA, GA, SC and FLA and
all are pretty good places if you choose carefully, and have good weather with
the possible exception of VA.

Bill

MakeMineA10mm
02-23-2012, 12:43 AM
After doing the research, I really liked southern Utah. I still haven't made it there to check it out first-hand, but it's pretty in the pictures. Fairly warm, but still get occassional snow. If you don't want too cold, make sure you stay at the lower elevations. 3000-4000 ft. sounds about right.

beagle
02-23-2012, 04:47 PM
KY's pretty gun friendly but we do get some snow. In the last several years, we're getting loads of retirees moving in here so there must be some attraction.

Instant check is all that is required and teh living's easy./beagle

30cal
02-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Yall r makin me wanna move to Arizona!

PAI-Scott
02-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Go to Texas, big enough to avoid the exes.

Radkins
02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
all sounds good to me as long as there is no snow

What is this snow stuff. Sun shine Florida.:kidding:

GOPHER SLAYER
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Since there is no public land in Texas, where do you go to shoot if you don't live close to a range? In Ca., at least we can drive to the desert and blast away.

GRUMPA
02-23-2012, 07:44 PM
What's your version of "warm", I live at 6000' while the summers here can be HOT (up to 102) the winters here are kinda mild. you get the occasional snowfall but melts within a couple of days. Used to live in Phoenix but the summers there are brutal. There are 2 seasons in Phoenix, hot and hotter.

Just go into my profile page and look for my HOME folder and that's what it looks like up here (Concho) and I live so remote that I can walk out the front deck in my Birthday suit and use anything I own. Nearest town of any size is Show Low but it's way to crowded for our tastes. And if you don't like cold all that much look around Prescott, its not so cold in winter there. This state has open carry and concealed carry only for residence of the state.

Moved out of Komifornia back in 90 and never looked back, I sure do like Az and all its open areas. I've traveled from north to south in Az and have seen the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

quilbilly
02-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Sequim gets about three days of snow per year if the winds are just right. Otherwise, it is close to the Pacific but if you just look up the hill, those are the Olympic Mountains

Blacksmith
02-24-2012, 12:43 AM
When you are thinking about a big move try it first. To be sure anyplace is better takes some time so you need to live there awhile before you commit to a perminate move. My suggestion is take an extended vacation and rent a furnished appartment for at least a month and see if it is as good as the chamber of commerce and tourist department say. The best would be an extended visit in summer and another in winter.

That is a lot better than two moves.

MT Gianni
02-24-2012, 11:14 AM
SW Montana has been balmy this winter. We have not yet had more than 2 weeks of below zero nights and I can only recall a handfull of below zero days. Winter should only last into mid April or May. It is a great place to live and shoot.

waksupi
02-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Montana has six months of winter. You just don't know which six months they will be.

RugerFan
02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Augusta, GA is a very nice area. Hard to beat Scottsdale, AZ too. The Dillon plant & storefront lives there as well. Great weather either way.

leadman
02-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Lots of nice towns in Az. Many places to go and shoot if you do not live in Phoenix. The Prescott area and north of there is really nice with very mild winters and some hot days in the summer.
Fishing here is great with many large resvoirs and smaller lakes. Lots to see and do.
Home prices are low right now, almost back to the early 80s' prices.
Property taxes are not too bad here. I'm paying now about what I paid in 1980 in Michigan for about the same property.