PDA

View Full Version : Skinner press

troyboy
02-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Been looking real hard at this press. Keeps popping up on E-bay. Has anyone tried one? Looks like a fine well built unit.

Ben
02-20-2012, 10:06 PM
I doubt that 3 or 4 generations of reloaders would wear out that press.

Looks to be a VERY WELL constructed press.

Ben

r1kk1
02-20-2012, 10:14 PM
This is the email reply I got:

Thanks for your interest!

The main limitations of this press would be length, we didn't intend for it to hold or travel enough for the 50cal BMG and the force is limited to sizing and reloading cartridges only, sorry no bullet swagging.

There are three advantages that may set us apart from others; first, we have bronze bushings at all wear locations, hopefully these things out last you and I and maybe the next generation. There are more than a few reasons to pass our knowledge and interest along... Second, you would be able to mount this on your bench just about anywhere that is convenient. I mount mine back about 12 inches and not only is it easier on my bench, I can place my working tray right in front of my instead of off to the side. Third, we have a 30 day money back guarantee so if you aren't satisfied, we can at least refund your money and you were only out the time it took to check it out.

We are discussing the development of a press that would address the above mentioned limitations but we just started a few months ago and we are taking things one step at a time. We're always interested in your thoughts as well so if you're of a mind, let me know what you'd like to see.

Sincerely,
Ron Skinner
Skinner Press

take care,

r1kk1

Longwood
02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Where did I see the photo of the press?

Ickisrulz
02-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Where did I see the photo of the press?

http://www.skinnerpress.com/

williamwaco
02-21-2012, 01:32 PM
That is a really good single stage press for reloading. It has been offered by one manufacturer or another for at least 60 years.

The people I have known who had one Really liked them. ( The were not the current incarnation though. they were made by prior manufacturers.

The Industrial Arts School when I went to school had two reloading presses that shop students could build as one of their projects. This press was one of them. The other was a clone of somebody's O frame press.

I personally don't like it because of the "UP" handle. I don't like having to reach up to pull the handle.

Differences of opinion. That is what makes horse races.

totallycustom
02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I really like that press but I think it would be better designed as a double press so you can put both dies in for a caliber and have them both setup. Or have a third die hole for and expander powder die and run it like a turret press. An H-Press like that lends itself readily to a multi die setup like that.

Longwood
02-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I really like that press but I think it would be better designed as a double press so you can put both dies in for a caliber and have them both setup. Or have a third die hole for and expander powder die and run it like a turret press. An H-Press like that lends itself readily to a multi die setup like that.

And,,,, :idea: a bigger plate on top for four dies, then a bolt hole at the bottom so I can mount a Dillon shell holder.:wink:

milprileb
02-21-2012, 03:24 PM
CH and others dropped this line of press design a long time ago. I don't see it doing anything a CO AX or a Rock Chucker (or clone) or a Dillon 550 won't do. If you like it, then the shoe fits , wear it

Longwood
02-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Much of the attraction is, it sure would be easy to make one or one very simmilar by the average 'Home' machinest.

Ickisrulz
02-21-2012, 04:52 PM
CH and others dropped this line of press design a long time ago. I don't see it doing anything a CO AX or a Rock Chucker (or clone) or a Dillon 550 won't do. If you like it, then the shoe fits , wear it

One thing this design doesn't do that the other presses do is hang over your bench top. Using this type of press allows drawers under your press.

CH4D still makes a 4 station press with a similar design.

noylj
02-22-2012, 03:47 AM
I would look at the Forster Co-Ax press. It is more money, but I love the features.
Big and beefy is not needed for reloading, but the Skinner and Co-Ax both look more that strong enough.
I love the Co-Ax die slot, "univeral" shell holder, and the spent primer bottle. The only thing about the press that some don't like is the handle. I have never had an issue with it and I have a bad back and arthritis.
As far as the Skinner, if they have a 30-day money-back guarantee and you want a single-stage press, what have you got to lose (assuming legitimate company and all).
I like having the press right "under my nose" and doubt I would mount it more than an inch back on the bench.
You could ask if they could adapt it for a Lee or Hornady breech-lock bushing. Thought the Hornady bushing was a "joke" until I got my L-N-L AP and found that it was really a great deal.

bbqncigars
02-22-2012, 11:55 PM
I can't vouch for the press, but the Skinner sights I have are beautifully machined.

totallycustom
02-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Well Dr.Skinner is the man behind Skinner Sights. They are all the rage over at Marlinowners.com. Dr.Skinner sold the sight co. to another MT guy a few years ago and started selling presses as his next hobby/ retirement venture. I have heard he is a pretty standup guy that likes to machine and build things. All this aside...

I dont think the single hole/die press offers anything more than the other presses on the market. He needs to make some significant changes to make it more valuable to reloaders. A 200 dollar single die press is not much of a deal to reloaders and probably not much of a profit for him. A few simple changes with minimal machining cost/time would net a product with much more appeal and function. Although I don't think he makes that many that he cares much. Seems a small run product with enough interest to warrant the current production and sales.

milprileb
02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
NOYLJ

If you want to end the drama of long handle on Co Ax, I recommend you look at inflinefabrication.com

I have both roller handles. They go in and out in 5 seconds time. I use the stubby one with roller mostly and the bigger one for long run projects of 100 cases full lenght sized.

These work. You stand or sit and never move when working the Co Ax with these handles.

Ease of motion and convenience makes a ton of difference ! These handles take the CO AX and makes it a different press altogether.

milprileb
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
One thing this design doesn't do that the other presses do is hang over your bench top. Using this type of press allows drawers under your press.

CH4D still makes a 4 station press with a similar design.

Sir: strong mounts let you do exactly what you desire for drawer access. Placing a press deeper on your bench seems awkward to me. I think you can look at strong mounts for your applications and not have to buy a new press. Strong mounts by Dillon and Inlinefabrication.com should fit your needs. I got the Dillon on my 650 press and plan to buy one for my Rock Chucker from Inlinefabrication when he has a series up on his website. (he may already have it as I have not been there for awhile).

I have one of those "H" station presses for shotgun reloading, an old Pacific and mounting it deeper on a bench is an unsatisfactory solution for me. YMMV. Good Luck

SquirrelHollow
02-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Sir: strong mounts let you do exactly what you desire for drawer access. Placing a press deeper on your bench seems awkward to me. I think you can look at strong mounts for your applications and not have to buy a new press. Strong mounts by Dillon and Inlinefabrication.com should fit your needs. I got the Dillon on my 650 press and plan to buy one for my Rock Chucker from Inlinefabrication when he has a series up on his website. (he may already have it as I have not been there for awhile).

I have one of those "H" station presses for shotgun reloading, an old Pacific and mounting it deeper on a bench is an unsatisfactory solution for me. YMMV. Good Luck
Strong mounts change the height of the press. Sometimes, that is not desirable.

The Skinner simply eliminates the overhanging linkage, while keeping the shell holder at approximately the same height.

Just because one method suits your style of reloading better than the other, does not mean that the other method is inferior.

Ickisrulz
02-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Strong mounts change the height of the press. Sometimes, that is not desirable.

The Skinner simply eliminates the overhanging linkage, while keeping the shell holder at approximately the same height.

Just because one method suits your style of reloading better than the other, does not mean that the other method is inferior.

I have never used Dr Skinner's press, a CH444, Dunbar, Lieb or any of the others of similar design. But, if I were starting all over that's the type of press I'd pick. I like the idea of the whole unit sitting on the bench. But I'm not going to replace my stuff at this point.

quasi
02-24-2012, 01:09 AM
that press looks like a direct copy of the old C+H Magnum Hpress.

Bradley
01-15-2014, 06:32 PM
Been looking real hard at this press. Keeps popping up on E-bay. Has anyone tried one? Looks like a fine well built unit.

Is this still being made? His web page has disappeared. And wasn't there a version with more than one station?

noylj
01-15-2014, 08:48 PM
>If you want to end the drama of long handle on Co Ax, I recommend you look at inflinefabrication.com

I have no problem with the handle on my Co-Ax and wouldn't think of replacing it. Thanks though. All the stuff Inline has appears to be well-made. I may not understand the why, but the products all look very good.

skeet028
01-16-2014, 12:02 AM
I happen to have a 2 die Skinner here next to my computer. A good well made press. I like the H style presses. Have 4 CH 1 Dunbar(just found it under the bench) a couple of Bairs A Dietmeyer 3 P-Ws and the Skinner. The skinner has some innovations. And a neat shell holder arrangement I like mounting on top of the bench. I have RCs etc but they are all for sale. The A presses are much larger than the RC.I also have 2 Redding T-7s now both on strong mounts as well as a Forster CoAx oh and the Large Redding. And of course many orthers.

r1kk1
01-16-2014, 06:03 PM
NOYLJ

If you want to end the drama of long handle on Co Ax, I recommend you look at inflinefabrication.com

I have both roller handles. They go in and out in 5 seconds time. I use the stubby one with roller mostly and the bigger one for long run projects of 100 cases full lenght sized.

These work. You stand or sit and never move when working the Co Ax with these handles.

Ease of motion and convenience makes a ton of difference ! These handles take the CO AX and makes it a different press altogether.

He is working on a handle for the B3 press. The way the handle attaches is different from the B2.

Take care

r1kk1

troyboy
01-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Well since this thread has been dredged from the past I will say that this press was purchased and it is a fine piece of equipment. Really do not care for it or the CH 444. I prefer the presses with more leverage.