PDA

View Full Version : shell holder

Beekeeper
02-20-2012, 06:57 PM
I recently aquired a 7.35x51 Carcano (don't laugh)
I bought the Lee dies for it ( the RCBS ones I would have had to take a mortgage on the house ). The shell holder is a #2 and the brass is rather loosey goosey in it. Enough so that I pulled the head off of a case during initial resizing. ( and yes I know how to lube and resize).
Is there a diferent shell holder that will work a little better (tighter) for the Carcano brass?

beekeeper

Pressman
02-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Beekeeper I had the same trouble with my 6.5 Carcano, along with finding correct size bullets. I ended up trying about every brand of shellholder I could find and I did get one with a sort of decent fit. THe case heads are just too small to fit anything well.

It has been a few years since I did that search.
Ken

noylj
02-22-2012, 04:00 AM
You could ask Lee if they could take some cases from you and make a custom shell holder.
A rifle of that quality deserves custom equipment...

elk hunter
02-22-2012, 10:51 AM
I use a "Quinetics automatic, multi-caliber, self adjusting shell holder" it works for many odd cases like the Carcano. It was made by Quinetics Corp. San Antonio, Texas. I haven't noticed one of their adds recently, but then again I haven't been looking.

3006guns
02-22-2012, 11:02 AM
I use a "Quinetics automatic, multi-caliber, self adjusting shell holder" it works for many odd cases like the Carcano. It was made by Quinetics Corp. San Antonio, Texas. I haven't noticed one of their adds recently, but then again I haven't been looking.

I just won a Quenetics off of Ebone as I've wanted one for years for just such a scenario. They're a little slower to use that a regular shell holder (you have to tighten and loosen the collet each time) but when nothing else fits.......?

There was another made by McLean back in the 70's also, so you'd be lucky to find one of those.

DCM
02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Hornady #21 shellholder will do ya.

Brass and J words are available at http://www.grafs.com/

A very good article to read at http://personal.stevens.edu/~gliberat/carcano/emary.html The author works for Hornady if you don't already know that.

Romeo 33 Delta
02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
I've found that much depends on the brass you are using for your Carcanos.

I'm from the before Privi Partisan school and made all my 6.5 and 7.35 from Norma 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher Schoenhauer brass. This works with well with a Lee #12.

I have some Privi brass but have not had to use it yet.

hk33ka1
02-22-2012, 10:16 PM
A Forster CoAx press might be handy for this with its lack of shellholders.

oneokie
02-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Spent the money and got the correct RCBS sh for mine.

Muskyhunter1
11-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Yup I had the same problem. was sizing factory 6.5 carcano brass and the Lee# 2 ripped the rim off and left the casing stuck in the die twice. Checked thru all my die sets and spare shell holders and found my shell holder for the 7.62x39 a Lee #12 worked great -so far.......

Good luck.