PDA

View Full Version : How much does alloy variation matter?

Canuck Bob
02-20-2012, 03:42 PM
I've been following the hardness threads and some have mentioned that BHN variations are often less important than alloy variations.

For example sake a guy blends up an alloy that works for him. Within reason he blends up the same alloy for a later run of bullets. Is the variations in alloy from our methods of any concern?

I'm thinking of blending some Mag shot, auto body solder for tin, and soft lead scrap (available locally). Should I go to the added trouble to alloy large amounts for consistency or will a postal scale and smaller lots have acceptable consistency so POI doesn't wander for lot to lot sessions?

Defcon-One
02-20-2012, 04:16 PM
The bigger the variation, the more it will matter, but there are many variables.

Bullet Diameter vs Bore Diameter
Type of lube
Actual alloy used
Powder
Velocity
Crimp strength
Bullet style

All elements being exactly the same will result in similar performance from one lot to the next.

I typically do 80-100 pound lots when I mix alloy because I have the materials and the equipment to do it. I could get the same results on my kitchen stove using ounces instead of pounds in a 1 quart saucepan if I had to. Obviously, the better you control what goes in, the better the outcome will be.

My advice, Buy or acquire your raw materials in the biggest lots possible, all the same content, then mix whatever size lot you want from those same ingredients. That is how you keep consistency and control what actually goes into your alloy!

Canuck Bob
02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Defcon you have answered one of my unasked questions. I recently came into a modest bonus and have the resources to finally finish my casting setup.

I don't have time for scrounging lead usually. I did cut down a propane cylinder and have access to a turkey fryer to use for smelting. Now I'll budget a little more for lead supplies and make a weekend of alloying up a few hundred pounds.

My plan is 50-50 Mag shot/PB sweetened with about 1% tin solder as my standard WW type alloyed ingots. For a casual alloy percentages I estimate at 2-2 1/2% antimony and 1% tin with arsenic. Then some soft lead cleaned up in egual size ingots for future alloying.

Once I have some real experience I want to play around with low antimony alloys to stretch my richer alloys.

Defcon-One
02-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Bob:

I imagine that it is impossible to find lead wheel weights up there. That is my base for everything accept Lyman #2, then I start with Isotope lead so I know exactly what I have.

Your mix will give you about 1% Tin, 2% Antimony a bit more Arsenic then I'd like at .62% (from the shot) and the rest Lead. It should be very good for all but the rifle bullets, if you even go that route.

I use 2% Tin, 3% Antimony, 95% Lead for everything pistol related. Lyman #2 (5, 5, 90) for the rifle stuff, which I do very little of.

Sounds like you have the right equipment and a good plan!

Take Care,

Jeff

mallardsx2
02-20-2012, 06:59 PM
It all goes downrange in a hurry... If it casts and its sized correctly and lubricated well just load it and launch it. Too many people on here are hung up on the composition. For casting .40 cal bullets does it really matter....probably not...

Most of the scrap these guys get could be whatever...the only way to test it is with a hardness gauge or a really expensive device....

Blue Hill
02-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Defcon, up here the WW's are free for the asking, at least in western Canada. No bans on lead WW's that I'm aware of.

Defcon-One
02-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Defcon, up here the WW's are free for the asking, at least in western Canada. No bans on lead WW's that I'm aware of.

Good to know. We should be so lucky!

Every year I see more Zinc and Steel, which means less lead per bucket. My solution was to stock up on the Lead ones now.

One of my favorite movies, "Skin that one Pilgrim, I'll fetch you another!"

Redford was great as Jeremiah Johnson.

badgeredd
02-25-2012, 07:17 PM
It all goes downrange in a hurry... If it casts and its sized correctly and lubricated well just load it and launch it. Too many people on here are hung up on the composition. For casting .40 cal bullets does it really matter....probably not...

Most of the scrap these guys get could be whatever...the only way to test it is with a hardness gauge or a really expensive device....

I suspect you haven't messed much with HIGH velocity rifle loads. Alloy does make a difference the harder one pushes it.

Edd