PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret & Accessories

Buzz64
02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Morning all -
I'm thinking of 'moving up' to a turret press. Not interested in the huge quantity production so supporting a star or magma system isn't an issue. Currently using a RCBS Junior I've had since '69.
Here is the quandry - I've over 10 sets of dies - 9 RCBS and 1 lyman. To get the benefit of the 4 hole turret would I need to buy Lee dies to allow for the powder charging? If so, where is the advantage over batch loading? Handling the cases 3 times now. would have to handle twice (if having to remove the casing to powder charge) with the Lee turret.

GT1
02-20-2012, 11:28 AM
All your dies will work fine, if you want to use the Lee case activated auto disk(I recommend the pro version) you can buy the Lee PTX die for pistol, and they have the rifle charging die that activates their powder measure also.

Each die is a ten dollar bill.

The Lee classic turret is an excellent press.

Ben
02-20-2012, 11:34 AM
The Lee classic turret is an excellent press

Words well spoken ! !

cajun shooter
02-20-2012, 11:51 AM
I have loaded since 1968 and started with a Lee kit that at that time was all done by using a hammer to even seat your primers; and yes a few did go off. I have used all types of presses until buying a Dillon 450 many years ago. Then purchased a Dillon 550B in about 2000 or so. Ended up having to sell and purchased the Lee Classic Turret for $100.
I still miss my Dillon but this is one product that Lee makes that I can say is a great product. I can load almost as fast as my Dillon. There is a plastic piece that controls the turning and I would advise having a spare that is very cheap.
I have my RCBS powder die mounted on the press and it is one nice set up. I think I said that. Later David

markinalpine
02-20-2012, 02:28 PM
... There is a plastic piece that controls the turning and I would advise having a spare that is very cheap...

And if you bugger it up, and the spare that is included with the new press, you can always index the turret by hand while new ones are on the way. Don't ask how I know! [smilie=1:
Mark [smilie=s:

geargnasher
02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Get the Classic Turret (not the regular turret), and Lee PTE dies in every pistol caliber you load. Also get a rifle charging die, you will need it for your bottleneck rifle stuff. Some rifle cases are too long for either, so you have to modify the rifle die insert, have a custom one made, or use the universal charging die and the hand-operated Perfect measure.

Gear

Jailer
02-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Don't forget a riser for the pro auto disk if you decide to use that. If you don't it won't clear the priming setup.

You say you might not need these things but once you use them you'll be glad you got them. Even for load development it makes things much easier having everything set up and ready to go.

oldreloader
02-21-2012, 01:04 AM
All your dies will work fine, if you want to use the Lee case activated auto disk(I recommend the pro version) you can buy the Lee PTX die for pistol, and they have the rifle charging die that activates their powder measure also.

Each die is a ten dollar bill.

The Lee classic turret is an excellent press.

Yep! He's right.I added one last year and love it. My old RC doesn't see much us now. I recommend the Pro Auto Disc and the Safety Prime System. Be sure as was mentioned to get the riser for the powder measure. Pics of mine are in the Rock Riser thread and Pics of my loading bench.

Buzz64
02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
THANKS for all the input. I appreciate everyone's time.

Missed the riser requirement in my earlier research! Have the small and large Safety primer system, full length factory crimp die for 9mm and .38 spec powder through die on back order. I'll get the .44 and .38 spc powder pass through dies later. I have the balance and electronic scales already. Does it look like I have the rest I'll need for a Lee turret setup below?

LEE90064 CLASSIC TURRET PRESS
LEE90429 PRO AUTO DISK POWDER MEASURE
LEE90302 MICRO DISK & SPACER
LEE90041 AUTO DISK RISER
LEE90492 POWDER THRU DIE EXP 380
LEE90580 POWDER THRU DIE EXP 9MM
LEE90585 POWDER THRU DIE EXP 45A

Wrbjr
02-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Looks good to me. I use the Classic Turret and you will love it. I use the Auto Disk Adjustable Micro Powder Charge Bar ALOT. I would consider it at some point although I have not purchased the Micro Disk and spacer yet. With the Micro Powder Charge Bar I just dial it in exactly to the charge I want checked against a Beam Scale. I use it successfully with Power Pistol, HS6, HP38 and others with no problems so far. I think its $10 at Midway.

Colorado4wheel
02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Adjustable Charge Bar will not work well in the .35cc range or less. it's powder specific. But TiteGroup and 9mm does not work well with the adjustable charge bar. You can make adjustable discs using a set screw.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3512.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3510.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3520-1.jpg

kbstenberg
02-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Lee is also on my bench. I would suggest getting 2 of the safety prime kits. That you have 4 primer trays. One for each kind of primers. That way you don't have to take the small pistol primers out if you need small rifle primers.
Kevin

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Buzz,

Some answers in red:

Does it look like I have the rest I'll need for a Lee turret setup below?

LEE90064 CLASSIC TURRET PRESSGood
LEE90429 PRO AUTO DISK POWDER MEASURE Get one for each pistol caliber you intend to load.
LEE90302 MICRO DISK & SPACER I found I never used this, but if you're using Titegroup, you may very well use it. Get one for each small cartridge you intend to use tight group with.
LEE90041 AUTO DISK RISER Get one for each caliber you intend to load
LEE90492 POWDER THRU DIE EXP 380
LEE90580 POWDER THRU DIE EXP 9MM
LEE90585 POWDER THRU DIE EXP 45A

Add these items:

SAFETY Prime, large and small Get two of each size, so you don't have to remove primers if you change from small to large and pistol to rifle, etc.
4-hole turrets You need one for each caliber you intend to reload for.

Additionally, if you decide to reload rifle, pick up a used Uniflow powder measure and a Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop. This extra setup works very well for rifle powders and allows you to keep automated powder drop. It is also small enough to fit on your Lee Classic Turret and keep the turret balanced. Buy extra CAPD die bases to allow you to move the CAPD and Uniflow from rifle setup to rifle setup.

Be aware of this, you will be loading your dies onto a 4-hole aluminum turret. Once you do this, your dies will stay set up. You will change dies and it's much more convenient to change pre-set powder measures each time you change calibers/turrets than it is to move the powder measure. The Lee Pro Auto Disk measures are inexpensive and it's easy to afford to do this.

Buzz64
02-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Dave In Georgia,

Appreciate the insights and will know ALOT more of what will fit my needs and how to do it with the Lee Classic once I get my hands on one. Seems like additional turrets will be the way to go - but then a lot depends on how much of the other calibers I end up loading. I won't be doing any rifle - just not enough volumn to justify - will stay with the RCBS set-up for that. But for 9mm, I'm in the 2000 a month range so will use the Lee mainly for that. My 38 and 380 are in the 750 per month range so may set up for them as well.
Again appreciate all the great info and opinions!
Buzz

Colorado4wheel
02-22-2012, 02:08 PM
New Toolheads are only $10. I know it all starts to add up but to me they are very worth it.

garym1a2
02-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Brillant, too bad I did not think of this.

Adjustable Charge Bar will not work well in the .35cc range or less. it's powder specific. But TiteGroup and 9mm does not work well with the adjustable charge bar. You can make adjustable discs using a set screw.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3512.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3510.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r215/98sr20ve/DSC_3520-1.jpg

Colorado4wheel
02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Neither did I. I did "invent" the little dab of JB Weld in the dimple on the end of the set screw. That counts for being OCD not brilliant.