PDA

View Full Version : hollowpointmold.com Not only for HPing moulds!

MikeS
02-20-2012, 05:17 AM
Hi All.

Many people here on the forum know that Erik from hollowpointmold.com does great work making regular boolit moulds into hollow point moulds. But what many might not know is that along with that service Erik can fix a multitude of mould problems!

A while back I bought a used SAECO #458 eight cavity mould off eBay, and the mould came with a replacement sprue plate made by a machine shop local to the seller, one with no boolit mould experience. Well, the sprue plate was made fairly nicely, nice and thick, then hardened. On the surface it looked like a nice sprue plate, but once I tried the mould I knew there was a problem. First off the sprue holes had the counterbore only half way down the hole, and the hole on the bottom was nicely chamfered. This made for a nice looking sprue plate, but it meant that in order to cut the sprue it required lots of pounding on the sprue plate with a mallet, and then having to pry the sprue off the plate! I've had some other moulds where the counterbore wasn't deep enough, but it was a simple matter to drill the counterbore deeper, but not on this mould, as it is hardened really hard!

After talking to Erik (via email) I sent the mould off to him to see if he could fix it. He had said he might be able to drill the holes deeper with a carbide cutter, or if he couldn't he would make a new plate. When I got the mould back at first I thought Erik had made a new plate, that's how nice it looked. Upon further investigation I realized that if he had made a new sprue plate he would have returned the old one, this one WAS the original sprue plate. He not only drilled the sprue hole counterbores deeper, but he also ground both the top & bottom of the plate, so it's now nice and flat, but he also cleaned up the trough that the sprue plate had, and drilled a hole for a sprue plate cam lever. He was able to do all this while the sprue plate was hard, he didn't anneal it so he could work on it.

So I've added a sprue cam lever made by RedRiverRick, a really nice lever made from steel, not the **** Lee makes them out of, and so I have a nice 8 cavity mould that was brought back to life with the help of Erik & Rick! And Erik's price was as amazing as the work he did, drilling the counterbores, drilling the cam lever hole, cleaning up the trough, and of course grinding the plate flat, all on a plate that's hardened really hard, all for under $50.00, add another $17.00 for Rick's cam lever and for less than $75 I have a mould that's not only usable, but a joy to cast with as well (I hope, haven't had a chance to cast with it yet)! Here are some pictures of the finished sprue plate mounted on the mould:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33510159/IMG_0144.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33510159/IMG_0145.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33510159/IMG_0146.jpg

sffar
02-20-2012, 09:03 AM
That looks great! Erik does excellent work–very impressive. It sure is nice having the mould go from being an expensive, unusable and unsell-able paperweight to a first class piece of equipment.
Sam

CWME
02-20-2012, 10:09 AM
That is some nice work there!

lead chucker
02-21-2012, 03:38 AM
He made my Lyman 311299 a hp and it works beautifully. He is a real nice guy and very easy to talk to. I will do business with him again if the need arises.

Humbo
02-21-2012, 04:16 AM
Wow, that sure is beautiful work!

MikeS
02-21-2012, 04:45 AM
Well, tonight I cast with the mould for the first time since getting it back. It's a totally different mould now! Before it needed lots of tapping on sprue plate with a mallet it get it to open, then once open I had to use a flat blade screwdriver to pry the sprue off the plate. Now that Erik modified the sprue holes to have the proper counterbore, and I've mounted a sprue cam lever I can cut the sprue very easily, then the sprue just drops right off the plate like it's supposed to. I cast about 300 boolits in about 1/2 hour!

MakeMineA10mm
02-23-2012, 01:09 AM
http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/Wow.gif

Wow!

Can we get a pic of the mould cavities?

And, a description of the design (weight, cast diameter)?

Dschuttig
02-23-2012, 11:30 AM
I've been really impressed with his work.. I think 2 or 3 of his pics are my molds. He cleaned up a vintage ideal 386177 DC that has serious rust on the bottom (handles Screw was infused into the steel) and milled the top a little to remove some weird erratic bevel base that I've never seen in any drawing of this mold, even in old ideal manuals. Price was great, it was nice getting a rare 41 LC mold back in service!

cbrick
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I recieved an email from Glen Fryxell last night, he is just finishing up his latest article and I'll have it published on lasc.us soon. It's about Erik's newest products & services, should be very interesting.

Rick