PDA

View Full Version : How do you nose size??

ihmsakiwi
03-18-2007, 06:36 AM
H ello from down under.
I Hope you can help me, I am having trouble getting either of my cast bullets to chamber in my new BF pisto, without them having to have the gas check pushed down below the neck of the case.
Caliber is 7mm Supermag, and I have both the SAECO and RCBS 145 grainers, with a preference for the RCBS. I understand you can somehow nose size, but with what die?? Is there a nose die??

Please help. as this is the only firearm I currently do noy use cast in exclusively. Kind regards,
Peter.

Char-Gar
03-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Nose sizing can indeed solve some problems. Nose sizing dies can be made two ways.

1) A press mounted die - The bullets is shoved in from below and knocked out with a fitted punch from above.

2) A die that fits in the conventional Lyman/RCBS lubesize machines. It looks much like a conventional sizingdie, but has no lube holes. Use any top punch with a flat to push against the base.

The only way I know of to get these dies is to reach out to Buckshot on this board. He makes them and darn good ones at that.

Bass Ackward
03-18-2007, 07:55 AM
I am having trouble getting either of my cast bullets to chamber in my new BF pisto, without them having to have the gas check pushed down below the neck of the case.

Peter,

If you are shooting a lot of lead already, I don't have to tell you about the alternatives.

Try bumming some lighter slugs until you get broke in or simply let them go below the neck. I never have had a problem.

44man
03-18-2007, 12:30 PM
I made a mold for my BPCR and screwed up the nose. I wanted .4505" and wound up with .451". Very hard to chamber! I had a .451 Lee size die and found the boolit shank, which is .464, fit perfect from the wrong end. I forced in a boolit and it sized the nose to .4505"
I screwed the die in the press from the bottom and it looked good.
I made a punch that when the ram is against the die the nose is sized to the front drive band.
I also made a nose fitting punch by drilling out a rod and filling the end with epoxy. By putting a waxed boolit into the punch on the lathe, I got a nice fit. This pushes out the boolit without deforming it.

44man
03-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Here is the nose punch. Sometimes it is good to think backwards. Now to test sized noses versus jammed into the rifling noses.

Ricochet
03-18-2007, 12:40 PM
I shoot a lot of loads with the gas check below the neck. No problem with crimped on Hornady type checks.