PDA

View Full Version : Boolit lube for firearm storage protection?

Arceagle
02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Has anyone ever used boolit lube for rifle or pistol barrel protection? I made a batch of Ben's Red for lubing my first batch of cast boolits and it looks like it would make a excellent protector for long term storage. I have used JPW by itself to coat internal and external parts on guns that stay in the safe for extended periods or may be used in wet weather. I had never used the Lucas Red and Tacky grease for anything before, but it mixed with other materials that I have used before makes the Ben's Red look even more appealing as a protectant.

runfiverun
02-19-2012, 11:02 PM
I use the carnuba waxes.
i'll stick with them.

stubshaft
02-20-2012, 12:42 AM
That's what alox is used for, rust prevention.

cajun shooter
02-20-2012, 11:40 AM
There is a product that I have used for about the last 3-4 years. It is called EEZOX and if you do a search you will find some great test with it. It is a synthetic oil that I use to wipe down and lubricate all my guns after firing and for storage. It is a super light product that leaves no residue.

fishnbob
02-20-2012, 12:08 PM
I have used ANDEROL for years. It is or was made by Birchwood - Casey. I don't know if it is still in production or not. I bought two cans of it over 25 years ago and I'm still using it for storage and regular shooters. Great stuff. Think it was made in Eden Prairie, Minn.

Thompsoncustom
02-20-2012, 06:45 PM
I can second EEZOX as a great rust preventative, not my favorite for lubing the gun but you put in on thin and it drys and that's it. I bought it because my sweat was making my gun rust in the summer and it fixed that.

no34570
02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Is that Eezox is it a hazardous material,can it be shipped overseas?

rockrat
02-20-2012, 07:23 PM
I use ACF-50. Designed for aircraft corrosion protection. Supposed to leave a very thin light wax film.
Don't know if you can have it shipped from the US, but an FBO (fixed base operations) at an airport might carry it.

no34570
02-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I use ACF-50. Designed for aircraft corrosion protection. Supposed to leave a very thin light wax film.
Don't know if you can have it shipped from the US, but an FBO (fixed base operations) at an airport might carry it.
Thanks Rockrat,I'll look into it ;)

no34570
02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Just found an Aussie dealer,thanks mate ;)

Arceagle
02-20-2012, 09:54 PM
On second thought the Ben's Red I mixed up is a bit smelly, not sure If I want my safe smelling like it. My reloading room still smells and I only let the molds I used for my boolit lube set in there for a few days before wrapping them for storage. I cooked them up out in the shop and it is built out of red cedar which overwhelms any other odors.

I have a cabinet full of greases, oils and aerosols meant to prevent corrosion, but I always wonder if they are staying where they should. I still like the JPW for external protection on wood and metal, but my wife doesn't like the smell.

I don't have much problem with corrosion, but living here in Arkansas you really have to stay on top of prevention. It can be 60 or 70 degrees one day and 20 the next, don't even want to get into what summers are like. Because of these big swings condensation is the biggest cause of rust, I run golden rods in the safe and the ammo cabinet. Summer time shooting I sweat all over my guns during a long hot day at the range. These guns have to be cleaned and oiled before putting them away.

SlowSmokeN
02-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Has anyone ever used boolit lube for rifle or pistol barrel protection? I made a batch of Ben's Red for lubing my first batch of cast boolits and it looks like it would make a excellent protector for long term storage. I have used JPW by itself to coat internal and external parts on guns that stay in the safe for extended periods or may be used in wet weather. I had never used the Lucas Red and Tacky grease for anything before, but it mixed with other materials that I have used before makes the Ben's Red look even more appealing as a protectant.

I think you should free them from the safe and storage and send them to me. :2_high5: