PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Block Lamp rescue

lar45
03-18-2007, 04:39 AM
Hi all, we went to dinner at friends( elderly couple) house this evening. As we were about to leave I noticed what looled like a Rolling Block stood up in the corner next to a book case. Short story is the guy mail ordered it way back when and turned it into a lamp, then took it apart and who knows how long it's sat there. The bott stock has been cut off for lamp mounting. From what little I looked at, it says Argentina, has some rust on the outside of the action that will probably leave small pits. Everything seems to work and the bore looks almost factory new. I'm guessing 43 Spanish for now.
I'm thinking of seeing if he will part with it, but what's it worth? It'll need a new butt stock and the rust on the action cleaned up.
Any ideas on what it's worth? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to antique stuff.

Buckshot
03-18-2007, 08:18 AM
.............It isn't going to be worth much more then as a shooter with a buttstock preplacement. That is unless you can find another old Argentine contract rolling block buttstock someplace.

Most all the 1879 Contract Argentine rolling blocks were re-arsenaled and put into store in Argentina and at a later date were surplused out. For the most part they re-entered the United States in pretty good shape. I would say that in it's current shape, assuming nothing else besides getting a new buttstock is needed to get it shooting I'd say probably $350 to $400.

The above figures are assuming you want to put it back into 'as issued' condition and weren't just after the action to use for something else. You can get a buttstock from Treebone Carving.

..................Buckshot

mazo kid
04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Fleabay and other auction sites have buttstocks quite often. Did you look at the muzzle end to guess at the 43 Spanish caliber? Emery

Bent Ramrod
04-01-2007, 08:28 PM
If I recall, you could get various specimens of Rolling Blocks already made into a lamp from Klein's or Ye Olde Hunter or some of those other mail order houses back in the old days.

Please!!!...Think long and hard before you desecrate what may be one of those wonderful classic artistic treasures of the bygone era of the 1950's! Remember, we are merely the custodians of these priceless artifacts and we owe the Children, the Planet and the Future Generations to come the opportunity to look at that fine antique some day and say to each other, "Gee, if only that old lamp could talk!":kidding:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Nueces
04-02-2007, 12:58 AM
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Glad you didn't.

Nicely done. :drinks:

Have you washed your mouth out yet? :mrgreen:

lar45
04-05-2007, 02:13 AM
It said Argentina on the frame, so the 43 Spanish was just a wild guess. If I do talk him out of it, I'll take a chamber cast to find out for sure.

This one started out as a mail order rifle and then was home converted into a lamp. So with this history, then I don't think it would be too much of a sin to restore it to it's rifle configuration. I could leave a pull chain with tassle attatched to the forend?

WBH
04-05-2007, 10:49 AM
George over at Treebone is the man to call if you want to replace the stock with new wood. Keep in mind, it is not a drop in fit. You will need to fit and finish the wood. If i was going to put together a shooter using all the original parts, I would opt for the auction market for the furniture. I just sold a set of Spanish wood for around $30. Also check for wear between the roller and the hammer. Many times the pins and or the blocks are worn. That's not too good for the headspace. I have a number of restored RB's are are a delight to shoot. Have fun with your new aqusition (if he'll part with it). Good actions are going for about $350 complete, just to give you an idea.

Steve E
04-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Probably only gave $6 or $7 dollars for it back then. Get it and make it speak again.

Steve E..........

lar45
04-06-2007, 01:54 AM
George over at Treebone is the man to call if you want to replace the stock with new wood.
Thanks, that jogged my memory. I have his card here somewhere, said he would hook me up if I ever needed anything.

The guy that has it is a great old guy. He was in the special forces and saw lots of action. He told me one story about Rem corelokts in the Garand takeing out some VC. Said it was a terrible thing to do to a man, but it got the job done.
He's mostly blind now and can't shoot. It's still nice to sit around and chew the fat. The world could use more like him.

I'll keep you guys posted if I get it.

WBH
04-06-2007, 11:43 AM
I guess you know...but George has moved to New Mexico near Raton. He has a new phone also. Look him up on the Net.

highwallbo
04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Buffalo Arms has them ,$495.00 for shotgun $795.00 for center fire rifles.
I just built one for my son,fitted it with a 32" Badger half/half .40-65 Win.
Billings Gunsmiths in Billings MT. did the case hardening on the receiver. I would send another to these folks,spectacular work they do and very reasonable.

Ready, Be Ready, Against the Storm
Riflemen,Riflemen.Riflemen Form
(Tennyson)