PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 1000 should I do it??

newcastter
02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I am in need of a press that I can load some ammo quick, I am pretty sure I want this press but need some encouragement/guidance.
The price is 153.00 new with .38 spl dies and I want to also load 9mm, 40 cal and .223 and as far as I know I can do it all just might need an extra shell plate or turret plate.
I currently have a single stage press which does the job but.....
I was recently given a posness warren shotgun press probably is the cause for me to be looking for a faster way to load a center fire.
All suggestions or advice is appreciatted.

garym1a2
02-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I am not a fan of my loadmaster. Look on youtube for CowboyT's video. He has everthing you ever wanted to know on the pro1000.

HardColt
02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi! I have a Pro 1000 when I started reloading 30 yrs ago. They are affordable machines for what I could afford at that time. Loaded several thousand 45 acp. 9mm, 380 acp. on the Pro 1000. The priming system is finicky. It does the job for loading. I had some good ammo loaded on it and when I could afford a better machine I bought Dillon SDB press and have been using it ever since . My Pro 1000 is somewhere in my shed gathering dust and rust. I might bring it back on the reloading table when I start reloading 9mm's again. Good luck and pleasurable reloading.

Norbrat
02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
If you are the sort of person who expects to be able to bolt a press to the bench and have it producing perfect results immediately, don't get one.

If you are a tinkerer and don't mind taking some time and effort to get it set up and learning it's quirks, it will be a good press for you.

dragonrider
02-19-2012, 09:17 PM
It will do the job, it will require some tinkering, they can be finicky, but with carefull operation and attention to detail it will do well. I've had two for about 25 years.

max it
02-19-2012, 09:18 PM
hi Newcaster, Like Hard Colt above I have a pro1000 in my garage. It is set up for .45ACP's
I learned loading on it; got it from a kindly old bullseye shooter who also sold me his Gold Cup as he was getting poor eyesight. Anyway it is a finiky press. As time went on I took things off of it; first the case loader and loaded by hand one at a time, then the boolit loader, same deal, finally i stopped trying to deprime and prime in it. All too much bother with set backs at almost every session. Now proud owner of two Dillons; one a 550and one 450, with mods. What a pleasure.

Happy Trails to you,

Max

newcastter
02-19-2012, 09:22 PM
I am not a fan of my loadmaster. Look on youtube for CowboyT's video. He has everthing you ever wanted to know on the pro1000.

I spent four hours watching those videos today, I'm ready to buy just lookin for all of your advice here on CB

newcastter
02-19-2012, 09:25 PM
If you are the sort of person who expects to be able to bolt a press to the bench and have it producing perfect results immediately, don't get one.

If you are a tinkerer and don't mind taking some time and effort to get it set up and learning it's quirks, it will be a good press for you.

I don't mind tinkering but do mind altering...

seagiant
02-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi,
I don't want this taken the wrong way. I'm glad when people decide to take up reloading! I think there is to much importance given in this hobby with rounds produced per hour,shall we say. If you are just starting out that little item needs to be at the bottom of your list!

Ok,to your question. I would not get the LEE 1000. I would get the LEE Classic Turrent Press. You can start out using it as a single stage and as your knowledge increases you can pick up production and it will make all the ammo you can ever need and you will have a lot more fun! Trust me!

rodsvet
02-19-2012, 10:38 PM
i bought a Lee Pro 1000 and fooled around with it for several years. Sometimes the ammo was great other times not. Too temperamental for me. I bought a 650 and life is better. I gave the lee to my brother in law along with about 7 or 8 complete caliber changes including powder measures a few years ago, and he hardly speaks to me anymore. His ammo sucks too!! My advice is to save up for a Dillon and it will last you the rest of your life. Just my .02, Rod

r1kk1
02-20-2012, 01:14 AM
You posted you have a Ponsness Warren press. Which one? I love the 375c model. I will be looking at a progressive version next year.

It sounds like you made up your mind on your press purchase. Cowboy T does an excellent job on the videos that keep the Pro 1000 running. Unfortunately, the press has it's fans and it's enemies. I don't care to get my equipment running (as in tinkering to function), which means I would rather tinker in another direction. I just load an go and no, I don't own a Pro 1000.

There are limitations of every press made but you are doing 223 and some pistol. Not a big deal.

Some guys like turret presses and others loathe them. I do not own one as a strict definition of turret press.

Good luck on your purchase and may the reloading Gods smile on you.

take care,

r1kk1

Hamish
02-20-2012, 02:02 AM
Once you fiddle and get it rolling the important thing is to stroke the handle up and down the exact same way every single time. You *must* be attuned to how *it* wants to run.

Depend on if you have an affinity for mechanicals, if so, it can be worth the money saved.

Recluse
02-20-2012, 02:54 AM
Did you even read my question?? Please take your suggestions to another page where someone who doesn't know anything might think you do...

Who the hell do you think you are posting that kind of a BS response to a well-thought out, reasonable suggestion and recommendation?

That is NOT how we deal with each other here and not how we'll EVER deal with each other.

Furthermore, that is the kind of garbage that gets you put on Ignore Lists, or, outright banned.

You wanna be quick in the mouth, take it to another forum.

:coffee:

waksupi
02-20-2012, 03:06 AM
After looking at some of his other posts, I get a vision of a boat sailing into the sea with a lone person on it, and no one shedding a tear, nor waving goodbye.
If that is how he addresses people, I'm sure he will find a more comfortable board elsewhere.

Recluse
02-20-2012, 03:15 AM
If that is how he addresses people, I'm sure he will find a more comfortable board elsewhere.

And the sooner the better.

He reminds of that nimrod over on the PA board who had it all figured out about cast bullets, BHN, lube etc and tried to drag a good company's name through the mud. You remember--the guy who said that the smaller and harder the bullet, the LESS leading there would be. :rolleyes:

As soon as we hear this guy's been reloading for twenty years, we'll know I guess.

:coffee:

newcastter
02-20-2012, 10:12 AM
I was definately out of line, I will be the first to admit I have nothing to blame it on except for "late night" still no excuse
I am thankful for this forum as I came into reloading with no mentors and I was lucky enough to stumble across this forum
I am sorry I offended any of you which I am sure I did as sometimes I can be an idiot, thanks for all your input.

rbertalotto
02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I was definately out of line, I will be the first to admit I have nothing to blame it on except for "late night" still no excuse
I am thankful for this forum as I came into reloading with no mentors and I was lucky enough to stumble across this forum
I am sorry I offended any of you which I am sure I did as sometimes I can be an idiot, thanks for all your input.

Takes a big man to admit his mistakes...........

Back to the subject at hand. If you know how to ballance 12 carburators on a Ferrari V-12, you are a candidate for a Lee1000.........
If you can take a Rolex watch apart and put it back together, you are a candidate for a Lee1000...............
If you don't mind the occasonal squib load, followed by a double charge......You are a candidate.....

You get the picture........Inexpensive, full auto, progressive loader.....

I have a bunch of them and load thousands upon thousands of rounds with them, but it is not unlike playing a concert grand piano! Lots of mechanical "fiddling" required...

http://images44.fotki.com/v301/photos/2/36012/10400121/DSC_4276-vi.jpg

newcastter
02-20-2012, 03:15 PM
I am sure I can handle the mechanical fiddling although the double charges are not something that encourages me but I am interested in the inexpensive progressive.
I have been reloading for about 3 years now with still a ton to learn but I would like to be able to crank out 500rnds in hours instead of days with my single stage, however I normally clean my brass in cleaning media then deprime then polish in polishing media so my process will have to change a bit.

geargnasher
02-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Just get one, follow CowboyT's advise, and find out for yourself. I have four of them, and no Dillons, though they're great machines and I've used several of them on occasion. I'm also an ASE Master, L1 certified automotive, diesel, and equipment technician. Fiddling is my middle name, Cheap is my last name.

Gear

Storydude
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
The chain operated measure reduces the double charge syndrome.

Norbrat
02-20-2012, 05:51 PM
The chain operated measure reduces the double charge syndrome.

I didn't get on with the chain, just seemed to break too often. I went back to the heavy spring to re-set the powder thrower and as long as you ensure you do a full stroke of the handle each time, is not a problem.

Among the best advice for this press is to make sure the primer feeder channel is always full and to feel for the primer being inserted at the top of the handle stroke.

GT1
02-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Just wanted to say CowboyT is awesome and makes great videos. Definitely worth watching the LCT and Pro 1000 vids.

I think the 1000 is a pretty neat piece, though I don't have one. People make comparisons with a $1000 set up verses the $150 Lee all the time and call it bad. *shrug*

There isn't much to compare it to, maybe Lee's own classic turret.

Exclr8
02-20-2012, 06:10 PM
You might want to take a
Look at lee's service. I have used lee dies for some time. Just picked up a set of 223 dies. The depriming pin gets stuck in some of the flash holes and pulls out of the die. I just went to their site and cannot fined a way to call and ask about it. They have this crappy website support thing now. The main site is not up either.

newcastter
02-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Just put the order in
Thanks everyone

noylj
02-22-2012, 04:05 AM
If all you need are three stations, then the Pro 1000 may be all you need. Lots of folks love 'em. I wouldn't own a progressive with less than 5 stations and think my Dillon 1050s could use one more station on each side of station 5 (the powder measure station).
Go to LoadMasterZone.com (I think) for information on fine-tuning the Lee progressives.

rbertalotto
02-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Load Master Zone = http://loadmastervideos.com/

Great site for LEE loaders

Moonie
02-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I liked the 1000, good machine, I am very mechanically inclined and don't have a problem tinkering. It was frustrating at times but once you get to know the machine it works well. I stepped up to the loadmaster, more stations, the priming system isn't as good as the pro1000 but again, once you know the machine it runs fine.

Colorado4wheel
02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
Make sure your bench is very rigid. Shaky bench's and Lee's primer setup do not mix.

newcastter
02-22-2012, 07:25 PM
I actually had to build a whole new bench just for my Pro 1000 and my posness warren so I still have room to work on my guns and still use my single stage for swaging, I actually plan on using the same press for different cal. as money is a lil tight as Lowes cut our pay ALOT I just needed this press to really sped thing up, i do think of myself as mechanically inclined as I do everything myself so I think I will be happy, plus with CowboyT's videos how can I go wrong, It comes in the mail tomorrow so I am geeked, New bench is ready to go

Jeff Michel
02-22-2012, 07:46 PM
I've used a 1000 for a number of years in 9mm, 40, 38/357 and the only hassle I've routinely encountered it the primer mechanism is prone to jamming. It got to the point I decided to resize in a single stage and prime by hand. Yes, labor intensive but after you get your press up and running you will probably see why I took the cowards way out. Other than that, you will be pleased with it. You can put out a ton of rounds in a short period of time. Get the case collator when you get a chance. also check out Lee precision"s web sight, go to "closeouts" and they usually offer reconditioned to new 1000's for 130.00 and other stuff of interest. Good luck

r1kk1
02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I've used a 1000 for a number of years in 9mm, 40, 38/357 and the only hassle I've routinely encountered it the primer mechanism is prone to jamming. It got to the point I decided to resize in a single stage and prime by hand.

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a progressive press? It should do everything it's advertise to do. If it doesn't, there is a manufacturer issue to be addressed.

take care,

r1kk1

old_haidouk
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Oh no, he did it... good luck reloading progressively.

13Echo
02-23-2012, 10:09 PM
I have a Lee 1000 and for me it works well. The way I use it is first to resize and deprime the cases which are then tumbled and inspected. Next I use the press to seat the primers. This way I can make certain all primers are correctly seated and I don't have to worry about watching powder and feeding bullets and it allows me to inspect each case and make certain I don't have a high primer or other defect. I would do this even if I had a Dillon. Finally I use the three stations to expand and charge the case, seat the bullet, and, finally, crimp. It is slower than just feeding cases, powder and bullets to the press but a lot faster than a single stage or even a turret and I don't have rejects because of a bad case, or improperly seated primers, or the jams and *****s that occur when you do have a bad case or crimped primer pocket or get some small primer 45 cases while trying to seat large primers. Besides I think it makes for better reloads.

Jerry Liles

Houndog
02-23-2012, 11:14 PM
I had a pro 1000 for awhile and it worked fairly well with 45ACP using large pistol primers. When I switched it to 9mm with small pistol primers it was pitiful. I finally got angry enough to give it the float test and it failed miserably! I chucked it off the bridge at Fort Patric Henry lake and it now resides somewhere on the bottom. I bought a 550 Dillon and never looked back. Long story short, the press is ok, but the priming system is pure junk in my opinion. I hope yours gives better service than mine did!

FWIW: I'm an ASE and SAE master mechanic, a machinist and a pretty good gunsmith. Small complicated machinery USUALLY is no problem.

r1kk1
02-23-2012, 11:26 PM
I just load on my press. I check powder charges about every tenth or more drop, but pretty much just put brass in, place bullet and keep going. The last round of 44 mags I did with 255 grain SWC chronograph at 1570, 1562, 1572, 1564, 1570. These were five rounds I just picked out of thousand. Pretty consistent load I would say and took me approximately 3.5 hrs to load. I didn't have any rejects. Standard load I've used for IHMSA for years. Works well in Dan Wesson, TC and FA.

I have a similar 357 load that I use with a 180 SWC GC bullet that very well too. I use to load 445 and 414 Supermags on the press and getting older, the recoil is a little much on the 200 meter course of fire.

I just load on my press. Same on since the 80s.

take care,

r1kk1

rbertalotto
02-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I have a Lee 1000 and for me it works well. The way I use it is first to resize and deprime the cases which are then tumbled and inspected. Next I use the press to seat the primers. This way I can make certain all primers are correctly seated and I don't have to worry about watching powder and feeding bullets and it allows me to inspect each case and make certain I don't have a high primer or other defect. I would do this even if I had a Dillon. Finally I use the three stations to expand and charge the case, seat the bullet, and, finally, crimp. It is slower than just feeding cases, powder and bullets to the press but a lot faster than a single stage or even a turret and I don't have rejects because of a bad case, or improperly seated primers, or the jams and *****s that occur when you do have a bad case or crimped primer pocket or get some small primer 45 cases while trying to seat large primers. Besides I think it makes for better reloads.

YIKES!....I have to believe a single stage or maybe a turret press would be faster.......No?

newcastter
02-24-2012, 05:22 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/195124f47fa6b0ebd7.jpg
Ok its all set up and I did have a hell of a time with the primer feed setup but got it figured out, however I could not for the life of me get the case feed to work. I did change it over from .38 spl to 9mm so I dont know if that had anything to do with it. I was able to crank out 250 rnds in an hour so I was happy.

GT1
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
That looks good. I like the bench top too.

newcastter
02-24-2012, 09:48 PM
That looks good. I like the bench top too.

$5.11 on clearance at Lowes I just cut it down and reatachted the backsplash.
There is a 8' right across from it...

deerslayer
02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
LOL that is almost identical to my first reloading setup right down to the unique and counter color! After a few years fighting a pro 1000 I have given up priming on it paticularly for LP rounds. Although the case feeder works like a champ for me? I fill the case feeder and run the brass through to deprime and size with no other dies in and prime by hand with a hand primer. Then reload the feeder switch out the head charge cases and seat boolits. Everyone will have different results butforme the priming wasnot reliable enough or worth the PITA. YMMV
If you are new to this hobby and begin to have failures where the round does not fire on first primer strike but doeson the second or third time then you may not be getting the primers in properly. Doing it by hand you can feel the squish or crunch when the primer is set properly. I can prolly load 150 an hour my way BUT they all fire the first time I pull the trigger and after a while I learned that speed wasn't as important as good ammo. As I said good luck and YMMV.

Take care Nate

newcastter
02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
LOL that is almost identical to my first reloading setup right down to the unique and counter color! After a few years fighting a pro 1000 I have given up priming on it paticularly for LP rounds. Although the case feeder works like a champ for me? I fill the case feeder and run the brass through to deprime and size with no other dies in and prime by hand with a hand primer. Then reload the feeder switch out the head charge cases and seat boolits. Everyone will have different results butforme the priming wasnot reliable enough or worth the PITA. YMMV
If you are new to this hobby and begin to have failures where the round does not fire on first primer strike but doeson the second or third time then you may not be getting the primers in properly. Doing it by hand you can feel the squish or crunch when the primer is set properly. I can prolly load 150 an hour my way BUT they all fire the first time I pull the trigger and after a while I learned that speed wasn't as important as good ammo. As I said good luck and YMMV.

Take care Nate

I believe I need the small case feed block, I bought the .38 spl setup mainly for the dies.
I started loading 9mm and the case did not clear the block so the next case would not let the block slide forward, the main problem I had was getting the primer tray loaded into the chute because the primers would all clog up at the mouth of the chute.
I am 2-3 years experienced with a single stage and hand priming I just wanted to speed things up.
Overall I am happy with it but I have only had one session so we will see, I think it will be what I was hoping for.
I have a much larger/nicer bench right across from this one with a single stage press and a posness warren shotshell reloading press mounted to it, I needed to build this one so I still had room to work on the guns.

deerslayer
02-26-2012, 01:12 PM
On my case feeder I don't change the the block that slides the case in. The .38 setup should work fine for the 9 mm as its the same case feeder. The block that slides in and out has 2 holes where the wire mech goes in if you are haveing trouble disregard the destructions and try the other hole also maybe flip the mech rod end for end and I had to put a tweak in the rod. IIRC the hole closer to the press is the one I use. It's funny some hate the case feeder and mine works perfectly on both my pro 1000s. Some people prime with em and I have terrible results.

deerslayer
02-26-2012, 01:17 PM

OK I had to go look I modified it a few years ago the bend as you see stops it from hitting the round part that drops the cases and misaligning it. Also notice the .25" gap between the block and case dropper this gap if not there will require more bend in the linkage.

newcastter
02-26-2012, 02:39 PM

OK I had to go look I modified it a few years ago the bend as you see stops it from hitting the round part that drops the cases and misaligning it. Also notice the .25" gap between the block and case dropper this gap if not there will require more bend in the linkage.

Yes this was happening too it would nock the Z-bar completely out.
I will try to modify it and see if that helps

oso
02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
FYI the small case slider measures about 0.8" in height while the large case slider measures about 1.1" in height and the small case feeder has a drop tube extension compared to the large case feeder (for Z bar clearance.) Each piece has its optimal applications.
You can remove the case feeder and feed your 9mm cases manually while you consider your options regarding parts and modifications.

newcastter
02-26-2012, 03:43 PM
FYI the small case slider measures about 0.8" in height while the large case slider measures about 1.1" in height and the small case feeder has a drop tube extension compared to the large case feeder (for Z bar clearance.) Each piece has its optimal applications.
You can remove the case feeder and feed your 9mm cases manually while you consider your options regarding parts and modifications.

Thats what I did my first batch.

schuebob
02-27-2012, 12:52 AM
I have never owned the LEE. However, I have the Blue Press 550 and 6 changeovers with measures. I think I should have gotten the 650 as the 550 is slow. My 550 flips primers on their side during priming motion.I do hear that if you double clutch the 650, it's a little more work to clear it out. You never have to create an excuse for buying too much loader...it's like buying a Lamborghini instead of a minivan. Fast, and no room for the kids.

r1kk1
02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
I have never owned the LEE. However, I have the Blue Press 550 and 6 changeovers with measures. I think I should have gotten the 650 as the 550 is slow. My 550 flips primers on their side during priming motion.I do hear that if you double clutch the 650, it's a little more work to clear it out. You never have to create an excuse for buying too much loader...it's like buying a Lamborghini instead of a minivan. Fast, and no room for the kids.

If it flips primers, the shuttle bar needs to be cleaned. If a primer flips, it is sticking somewhere in it's travels. Maybe we could start a thread on this issue?

I don't own the Lee they are talking about, but it is an interesting thread to see how to figure this out. It seems like it's getting complicated, but that could be me. I've always been fascinated with gravity feed case feeders. I don't care what a fellow owns but it's seems like a fine line between operator error or maybe manufacturer issue.

Bowing out on this thread and going into lurking mode to learn more.

r1kk1

deerslayer
02-27-2012, 10:37 PM
I am amazed at how simple the gravity case feeder is, yet how well it works. My casefeeder is one of the things that I would miss if I upgraded presses. I want a LNL progressive or a 650 but I haven't wanted it enough to write a check yet.

AndyC
02-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I just did a few days back - got tired of the Pro 1000 and ordered a LNL ;)

newcastter
02-28-2012, 09:28 AM
My case feed problem is the result of using the wrong block, I am going to do a run of 40 S&W this week and maybe some .38 spl so I will have a chance to try it with the case feeder