PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk in 41 mag or 44 special?

Coffeecup
02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
I think I'm going to get rid of my Dan Wesson 44 and get a short barreled (4 3/4" or whatever it is) Blackhawk in either 41 mag or 44 special. I'm just checking to see if I'm overlooking anything I should consider.

The 41 mag would require loading bench re-tooling and re-supply as I sold all of my 41 mag stuff a decade ago. I should be good to go for 44 special.

I've never seen bad dimensions on a Ruger 41, can't say the same for their 44s. Has that changed any?

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks

JayinAZ
02-19-2012, 07:15 PM
You should consider one of each :).

I used to have a .41 BH and wish I'd never sold it. I think I may soon get a .44 Spl Vaquero. But someday I'll also nab another .41.

Coffeecup
02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I like the way you think, but it isn't an option right now. That's why I want to make sure I have as much current info as I can get before making a decision.

If it were an option, then I might get to puzzling over the best barrel length. . . the .44 special would give me the option of my favorite barrel length (5.5"), but no. Not gonna go there.

white eagle
02-19-2012, 08:00 PM
personally I would opt for the 44 special
anything a 41 can do a 44 will do mo betta

williamwaco
02-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Many years ago, when they were first introduced, I bought a S&W 6" .41Mag.

It was a magnificant handgun.

But,

It always felt like a "Little Brother".

I kept it about a year and traded it for another .44.

Coffeecup
02-19-2012, 08:10 PM
One of my concerns is that in the last 4 Ruger 44s I had, cylinder throats were all over, from .428-.432. Throats can be reamed, or bullet variables messed around with to get the gun to shoot right, but I've never had a Ruger .41 that needed that. Any more, I don't find the necessity of working around things like that to be pleasurable.

Williamwaco, I didn't see your post. I've got a .44--a superbly-accurate, bull-tough DW that I can shoot almost as well as a carbine. Unfortunately for me, it weighs about as much as a carbine, and is even more awkward. I've spent enough on holsters for the darn thing to buy another pistol, but found nothing that will let me carry it to the field without feeling like I have a cinder block strapped to me. As a result, it has become mostly a range gun.

So now I've decided to find an off-the-shelf, no headaches, no gunsmithing or returns to the factory needed, belt gun. I just can't make up my mind which cartridge it should shoot.

beagle
02-19-2012, 08:20 PM
I have both a .41 Mag and a 5 1/2" .44 Special. The .44 Special gets much more play than the .41. NOt that I have anyting against the .41. I just like the .44 Special./beagle

missionary5155
02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Greetings
The 41 mag is only .03 less diameter than the .43 (so called 44) mag. And that 41 mag can propel a 265 grainer 300 fps faster than the 44 Special can.
So I would just retool and get the magnum never having to be concerned about power. I would not trade my 41 mag for a 44 special or a 44 Mag. Long before I got into 44īs again I would get the 45 Colt (like I did years ago).
Mike in Peru

Coffeecup
02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
It isn't a question of power. I've owned and used 41s, 44 specials, and 44 mags, and taken game with all of them. I'm looking more for information that might affect which way to go.

For instance, if folks have been having to have cylinder throats re-cut in the 44 specials, I don't want one. If .41 mag brass was unavailable for some reason, I'd have to consider that.

white eagle
02-19-2012, 09:11 PM
get the one you can live with

foxtrotter
02-19-2012, 09:12 PM
All the info I have read is that the latest 44 (and 45) Rugers are superbly finished with correct barrel and throat dimensions. I Have a 44 Mag Anniversary model that is a beautiful piece. The 44 Special flattop has a great reputation for being what it should be.

336A
02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
I went through this dilemma myself a little while ago. I ended up going the .41 magnum route and I'm glad I did. As was posted ealier .44 cylinder throat dimensions can and do vary where as .41's are do not. This IMHO is why .41's have such a good reputation in the accuracy dept. and why it's so easy to come up with accurate loads.

canyon-ghost
02-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Like some others, I have both. This is going to depend on what type performance you are looking for. The 41 magnum with 6&1/2" barrel might fill your needs if you want the added recoil. Seeing that you are a Dan Wesson man, that would be the one I'd think you'd choose. Mine came out a tad tight, I had the cylinder done by cylindersmith to .4105. The muzzle measures quite a bit tighter, I'm required to shoot .410 bullets very strictly. It doesn't at all like .411.

The 44 Special shoots a lot like it's cousin, the 38 special. The dimensions, since the run on stainless Lipseys, are correct and easy to work with. I used a 200 grain Lee bullet and found great accuracy with Unique. Are they better than past? I don't know for sure but, evidently they must be. Mine is trouble free, shoots good. I took down a couple of small round targets, maybe 3" diameter, the last time out- at 50 meters. It's really decent shooting but, a bit soft and easy if you like performance. My 11 year old nephew shot about 50 rounds through it at Thanksgiving. It's very user friendly.

The 41 mag is still my hot rod, I love that magnum.

MT Gianni
02-19-2012, 09:34 PM
If you are not using custom mold makers, the variety of molds available make the 44 special a winner in my book. I like the 44 flattop I have. The dimensions are absolutely correct, not so on the recent 45 blackhawk dual cylinder non-flattop I recently bought.

Az Rick
02-19-2012, 09:42 PM
I had a 4 5/8ths 3 screw, no pins .41 mag Blackhawk with a 4 digit serial number. I loved that revolver, had the half cock, no hammer block, the old load one, skip one, load four, so the the hammer would rest on an empty chamber. Sounded like a sewing machine. I wasn't casting then and you were very limited to the bullets you could buy. I think a 215gr. semi wadcutter was the heaviest without paying a premium.

Bullet selection isn't so great even if you cast. The .44 bullet selection is awesome. Moulds or commercial bullet weights/styles abound.

What do you want t do with the gun? How many bullet weights do you want to load?

The .41 was a great gun and I still wish I had her. It's a great caliber and can do almost anything a .44 can.

You are limited by moulds and commercial loadings.

Best Rick

azrednek
02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
All the info I have read is that the latest 44 (and 45) Rugers are superbly finished with correct barrel and throat dimensions. I Have a 44 Mag Anniversary model that is a beautiful piece. The 44 Special flattop has a great reputation for being what it should be.

I got a new Ruger 45 Convertible in December 2010. Both cylinders needed reaming. I asked a Ruger rep at the NRA Convention in Phoenix if Ruger would make it right and was told not to likely. The rep after asking me if I was a lead slinger, said Ruger would test fire it with factory jacketed ammo. If the accuracy was with in their standards it would simply be returned to me. After the cylinders were reamed to .452 by board member JimInPhx there was a remarkable improvement in the shot to shot accuracy shooting lead.

felix
02-19-2012, 09:52 PM
41 with 18 twist, 44 with 20 twist is typical in Rugers. Same velocity, same nominal boolit, the 41 will out penetrate the same target by a considerable margin. Add that info to your selection criteria. ... felix

Az Rick
02-19-2012, 09:55 PM
I still have probably 250,...215gr. semi waddcutters, had more but throw a few into my alloy to get rid of them each time, they are waaayy to hard, not naming the manufacturers name. I still have 80-90 250gr. gas checked, they sucked, again not naming names. I guess once you start casting, it's hard to tolerate not making a bullet that fits you needs. I sold my brass to a forum member.

I would seriously look at all the mould companies and decide if you can find something that fits you needs. Again, it's a great caliber, you have to be willing to work at it.

I have my eye on a S&W mountain gun in .41, and I WANT TO PULL THE TRIGGER!

I still have my dies, you know.

Best, Rick

And I cast now, how about a group buy?

Coffeecup
02-19-2012, 10:03 PM
Foxtrotter, I had an Anniversary 44 too. Beautiful gun, and if the throats had been on, or even ALL THE SAME DIAMETER, I'd have kept it. I was able to examine a couple of new .45s locally, one was a tight .454" the other was .453+" but at least they were consistent. Sorry, it is a pet peeve with me.

Canyon-Ghost's 41 is the first I've heard of that had to have the throats re-cut; I'm sure it happens but not as frequently as with the .44s.

I'm probably going to stick to one or two loads. I know where I can pick up a 4 cavity 410459 and I've already got a 429421; I figured to cast up a couple of buckets of the appropriate bullets then send the mould off to be converted to HP. One load at about 950fps and another at around 1150-1250. More for utility than as a dedicated target or hunting piece.

Combat Diver
02-19-2012, 10:19 PM
I just ordered a new Ruger Blackhawk with 6.5" bbl in .41 Mag last week (should be there when I get home next week). It will fill the gap in my battery (4" M58, 14" TC and 20" Marlin) My only .44 right now is my old CA Bulldog 3" that is a joy to carry. Different tasks for the guns though, the Ruger would be a pure hunter and the Bulldog a woods roamer during the off season.

CD

Old Goat Keeper
02-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I had one of the early Rugers in 41 magnum with the 4 5/8" barrel. Brutal recoil at best and the muzzleblast was horrific. Traded it on a S&W Model 57. Easys to shoot and much quieter with its 8 3/8" barrel. Recently got another 57 with a 6" (I think) barrel. Need to shoot it. I am also looking for a Mountain Gun in 41 magnum. Don't think I willl ever go back to a black hawk...atleast not in the bigger calibers.

T-o-m

GLynn41
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
since your tooled up for the .44 special -the choice is made-if it were me-- and btw way the difference between .410 and .430 normally does not matter to the target what ever that is-it only matters to us-- how many of us have ever shot comparable bullets in SD and design of the two calibers enough so we could actually know if it matters as we think -- likely none 0000-- we just like what we like - and that is the way it ought to be --

leadman
02-19-2012, 10:41 PM
I have an old model SBH in 44mag and a newer SBH Hunter in 41mag, both 7 1/2" barrels.
If I want to hit something far down range the 41 is the gun for me. I've hit gallon milk jugs fairly consistently at 200 yards with it. Hands aren't allowing me to shoot much lately though.

The boolit mold situation is not getting any better. Lyman has dropped their 215gr SWC GC, Saeco has the largest selection from what I can tell. I have their 220gr Truncated Cone and it a great boolit. The only place to buy the gas checks is from Gator Checks. Don't know if Blammer has these or not.
I think Veral at LBT is cutting his molds for the 416 gc.

David LaPell
02-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I have had two Blackhawk .41 Magnums and they were good guns, one a 4 5/8 inch and the other a 6 1/2 inch. Both were very accurate but I have handled one of the new .44 Specials and I can see why they were so desired, they are lighter (based on the .357 frame) and seem to just have a better balance. If it were me, and I wished it was, I would buy a .44 Special.

rintinglen
02-20-2012, 01:49 PM
In years gone by, I was not a big Ruger Fan, nor did I think there was much special about the .44 Special. But last summer I got one of the Flat top Ruger 44 Specials and all I can say is WOW. This is really a really accurate gun--even more so than my SBH Hunter, and that is saying something. What has been most rewarding is how well it shoots cast boolits. 429-421's make neat round groups that can hide behind a quarter at 20 yards. I am itching to try it out at longer ranges, but that has to wait until I can get out of town one of these days. I emphatically vote for the 44 Special, unless you want it primarily as a hunting gun.

Bardo
02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
If you are buying new and a blued gun. Then the 44 special is a steel alloy grip frame and the 41 mag is a aluminum. I have never liked the aluminum frames as much they don't match the rest of the gun and they wear different from steel. The 44 is also 4oz heavier.

Bardo

theperfessor
02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
As noted, commercial mold makers don't offer as much variety in .41 as they do in .44, but there are lots of custom makers that do. Right now there is a group buy going for a Mihec brass four cavity HP mold of a 220gr Keith SWC - it's a H&G #258 clone.

I like both calibers, when I shoot my M57 it's usually with ".41 Special" loads that are comparable to .44 Special level loads - cast boolits of 200 to 240grs at 800 to 1000 ft/s. About the same accuracy, recoil, etc. as my M21, 24, 624.

I'd buy the one I got the best deal on.

GLynn41
02-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Blammer has plenty of checks for the .41-thin or crimp Gators- also as mentioned miha molds..also. Mountian Molds, Accurate- LBT - NEI all have what ever you want--in what cal. you want- plain base would likely be more than enough - until I went to the .41 wild cats-- all I used was plain base Lyman 410459- SSk 275- nothing has changed
in my Tracker I use .41 shorts- with the 220 Keith// case lenght is 1.1 -1.15 -I do tend to use John Taffin's 2400 loads though :)

Combat Diver
02-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Ranch Dog has had Lee make some 6 cav TLC411-255-RF either with or without gas checks. I got one without the GC and my Marlin loves them. Will try them in my new Blackhawk.

CD

336A
02-21-2012, 04:30 AM
CD I think you are really going to like that Ruger BH. I picked up a new one with a 4 5/8" and can't beleive how accurate it is. At the moment I'm shooting a commercial 215gr SWC over 8.5gr of Unique; but I want to get some 230gr Keith SWC for full up mag loads. However I'm certainly not willing to pay the widly high prices that most Are asking for them:-(

Sasquatch-1
02-21-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't know how familiar you are with the BH. I have two. A 357 Convertable and a Super Blackhawk in 44. Both are New models. The only major problem I have ever had is with the base pin backing out. I don't know whether Ruger has ever corrected this problem but a quick trip to the Belt Mountain site and the purchase of locking base pins has cured this problem.

Other then that I love my BH's.

W.R.Buchanan
02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
I have a SBH Bisley in .44 Magnum that I cut the barrel to 5" on, and a BH Bisley in .44 Special with the 4 5/8' barrel.

Both are superb shooters.

I like the Bisley grip as it fits my hands better that the standard Colt style grip.

You can load either one of these guns from plinking to pretty serious. I have boolits from 190 gr to 260 gr and soon a 300 gr boolit as well. I have been told that a 300 gr boolit at 1000 fps from the .44 Spec will go clean thru an elk. It will probably do the same thing from the .44 Magnum at 1200 fps.

What more could you possibly ask for. And even if you did ask for more, there are .44 rifles too.

.41's are nice but there is less of everything for them, and .41 rifles are hens teeth.

My .02

Randy

azrednek
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
41 with 18 twist, 44 with 20 twist is typical in Rugers. Same velocity, same nominal boolit, the 41 will out penetrate the same target by a considerable margin. Add that info to your selection criteria. ... felix

That was the reason I selected 41 for my first big bore revolver, a S&W Model 57. I read the same as Felix said in Frank Barnes' Cartridges of the World in his personal evaluation of the 41 Mag. Barnes claimed if I remember correctly that factory 210gr 41 with the exception of Winchester Silver-Tips would penetrate deeper than most factory 240gr 44 mags.

Alan
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
I have a 4-digit 6.5" OMBH, and absolutely love it. The .41 will not require juggling bullet sizing or honing the cylinder. Ross Seyfried got a couple of flat top .44's that required honing and lapping a bit of frame choke to get shooting right. (frame choke can happen on any of them - someone just got a bit enthusiastic tightening the barrel) I'm happily waiting on Miha's #258 HP moulds. 8)

Tar Heel
02-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Since you asked, the 41 Magnum. Anything else would be absolute folly and irresponsible.

41 MAGNUM !!!!

336A
02-22-2012, 10:12 PM
A question to the masses. Ruger uses a 1-20" twist, how well does that stabilize the heavier 250gr - 265gr bullets in the .41 magnum? I've never used them so I don't know however I've heard rumuors that .41's don't shoot heavy for caliber bullets very well. Is there any truth to this or is it pure hogwash?

Tar Heel
02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Hogwash. The SSK 295gr bullet shoots just fine in the Blackhawk.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/album.php?albumid=632&pictureid=4608

Coffeecup
02-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Oh boy--lots of stuff to reply too.

336A, with my previous Rugers in 41 Mag, long range accuracy with heavy cast bullets (NEI was the mould maker, I think) was OK. Off a bench I could usually keep 5 shots of 6 on a paper plate at about 150 yards. Couldn't do it offhand though, I've always shot DAs better. Anyhow, that was good enough for me at the time; almost all of my shooting was done with 410459.

Sasquatch-1, I've previously owned a few Blackhawks. . . if you count the customs and variations I've probably owned 30 or so, though the only one I have now is an Old Army.

Tar Heel you are an evil man and absolutely no help! I'm going shopping tomorrow, and will hopefully come home with a 3 screw 41 . . . Does anyone have a handle on what I should expect to pay for a 3 screw 41 Mag? From what I saw through the glass, one was about 90%, the other looked near mint. It is not that I particularly want a 3 screw, it is just that I don't want to order in a new revolver sight unseen. These are on hand, and I can check measurements etc.

Coffeecup
02-22-2012, 10:41 PM
And OK, I want a three-screw again.

Tar Heel
02-22-2012, 10:46 PM
I can't believe I traded in my Ruger 32 H&R Mag/.32-20 about 25 years ago. I want another REAL BAD!

No kidding...the 295gr bullet shoots exceptionally well in the 6" and 4 5/8" Blackhawks. I tricked out the 4" to shoot hogs with using that bullet. Shot a bunch whilst hunting with J.D. Jones on our annual HHI Hog hunts.

Tristan
02-23-2012, 06:54 PM
It isn't a question of power. I've owned and used 41s, 44 specials, and 44 mags, and taken game with all of them. I'm looking more for information that might affect which way to go.

For instance, if folks have been having to have cylinder throats re-cut in the 44 specials, I don't want one. If .41 mag brass was unavailable for some reason, I'd have to consider that.

Perhaps you can just put up a supply of Starline brass and not have to worry about it for a long time. They have pretty good pricing on 500 packs.

I like them both, but if I were to have to choose between them I'd get the .41 mag.

Alan
02-23-2012, 07:35 PM
I paid $700 for my 3-screw .41 in December, but I got 9 boxes of factory ammo with it.

Dan Cash
02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
The .41 is much more versatile than the .44 Special and, if loaded to magnum velocities, a much more serious killing machine. A .250 grain (heavy for caliber) will out penetrate a 240 grain .44 Mag and even when down loaded to 8 or 900 fps, will out perform the .44 Special in destructiveness and equal it for accuracy. I have two .44 Special S&Ws, 2 .44 Mag S&Ws and a .41 S&W. If I absolutely had to shoot a Brown or Grizzly bear with a hand gun, the .41 would be my take to the job weapon. The .44s are wonderful guns but for me, the .41 is a better deal. Wish I had a short rifle in .41.

9.3X62AL
02-23-2012, 07:57 PM
You did right well, Alan.

The 41 Mag Blackhawks are built on the full-size frame, the 44 Specials are on the lighter "Colt-sized" platform. That might matter to the OP if he's trying to shed the boat anchor effect.

I own and have owned S&W, Colt, and Ruger double-actions and single actions in 41 Mag, 44 Mag, and 44 Special. I won't part with any of them, and enjoy them all a great deal. I could likely get by with just the 44 Special, since 90% of my loading in all three calibers hovers around standard bullet weights at 900-1000 FPS. If any of those 3 calibers has an accuracy edge, I haven't been able to discern it in 35 years of enjoyment.

I know that having to finish building a revolver is an irritating PITA, but it's a thing to be ready for in this day and age. Sign of the times.

Dan Cash
02-23-2012, 07:58 PM
I have an old model SBH in 44mag and a newer SBH Hunter in 41mag, both 7 1/2" barrels.
If I want to hit something far down range the 41 is the gun for me. I've hit gallon milk jugs fairly consistently at 200 yards with it. Hands aren't allowing me to shoot much lately though.

The boolit mold situation is not getting any better. Lyman has dropped their 215gr SWC GC, Saeco has the largest selection from what I can tell. I have their 220gr Truncated Cone and it a great boolit. The only place to buy the gas checks is from Gator Checks. Don't know if Blammer has these or not.
I think Veral at LBT is cutting his molds for the 416 gc.

Regarding molds, Accurate, LBT and others will cut what you want/need. If the bullet is of a suitable diameter as cast, a gas check is not necessary for .41 or .44.

Groo
02-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Groo here
I was reading this and thought I would chime in..
If you want the best of both worlds , you can do what I did...
Contact Andy Horvath and have him convert a 357 flat top or New Vaquero
to 41 magnum......
Mine shoot verry well and pack easy..

Coffeecup
02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Tristan, I couldn't afford a good supply of new brass from any of the makers. I had about 30k of 45 acp before I was happy . . . . I've not owned a 45 acp for several years but I still keep finding coffee cans and ammo cans of brass. That's the way life should be! I worry that I don't have enough brass for my favorite hunting rifles (30 Krags) so I buy it every chance I get; until I get a few thousand 41 mag cases I'll be the same way with it.

Alan, I hate you. Nothing personal, but I hate you. I just paid $620 for my 3-screw 41 mag, and another $32.95 for 20 rounds of the only 41 mag to be had locally. Probably the last factory ammo this pistola will see while I have it.

Did I mention I bought a Ruger today? Short barrel 3 screw 41 mag, decent condition and a .0025" or so barrel-cylinder gap. Not much chance I'd buy a New Model, none available locally that I could find.

Wasn't able to test fire it today and am grumping about having to wait til tomorrow afternoon. Now to gather tooling and brass . . . .

Thanks for discussion guys, it did help frame my thoughts as to what I was going to do.

TXGunNut
02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Did I mention I bought a Ruger today? Short barrel 3 screw 41 mag, decent condition and a .0025" or so barrel-cylinder gap. Not much chance I'd buy a New Model, none available locally that I could find. -Coffeecup

I was going to opine that the .44 made more sense but you'd always want another .41. Looks like you made the right choice. Life is short, enjoy.

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Here's another little tidbit:

Starline makes .41 "Special" brass also.

Some of the Ruger Blackhawk "conversion" guns were built as .41 Specials.

Before recently, if you wanted a .44 Special Ruger BH you had to make it.

It was just as easy to bore the .357 cylinder to .41 Spec as .44 Spec. and many did it.

Hence the need for .41 Special brass,

Randy

Tar Heel
02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Tar Heel you are an evil man and absolutely no help! I'm going shopping tomorrow, and will hopefully come home with a 3 screw 41 . . . Does anyone have a handle on what I should expect to pay for a 3 screw 41 Mag? From what I saw through the glass, one was about 90%, the other looked near mint. It is not that I particularly want a 3 screw, it is just that I don't want to order in a new revolver sight unseen. These are on hand, and I can check measurements etc.

Just for you Coffeecup....loaded up some 41 Magnum today using the 295gr SSK (NEI) bullet. The COAL is 1.690" and these fit into a Ruger Blackhawk, S&W Mod-57 and of course a T/C 14"

gunfan
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
+1 for the .41 Magnum. It is a better load/round for accuracy and general use. While there's nothing wrong with the .44 S&W Special cartridge, there's nothing the .41 magnum can't do when loaded to .41 Special levels.

The .41 Magnum is the most "underestimated" (and underrated) revolver cartridge extant.

Scott

TNsailorman
02-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I was a .44 fan before the .41 magnum came out. I had a .44 magnum Ruger BH with the squared rear trigger quard. I was having trouble getting the accuracy out of it that everyone else seemed to be getting. I decided it was not accurate and traded for the then brand new .41 magnum BH and tried that one. Still not hitting like I thought I should. I talked to an old time single action shooter and he told me to quit fighting the single action in recoil and let it roll up in the hand. I tried that and sure enough, things inproved quite a bit. I still couldn't shoot as accurate with the single action as I was used to doing with the S&W double actions. So, I traded the single action .41 to a Model 57 and things came back to normal and even improved. I am just one of those people who do not shoot single actions very well because of the long hammer fall and the recoil differences. It is not the single actions fault, it is my short coming. I love my 57 and even went so far as to buy a second one a few years ago. Both are the 6 inch versions and they will shoot better than I can. Right now I am looking for a replacement bullet for the 200 grain SWC JHP Speer that has been discontinued. It was the best load I found in 40 years + of shooting the .41, especially with a good stiff load of H110. As far the the .44 Special is concerned, I never owned one but did shoot several that other people owned and I never found one that lacked anything for accuracy, except for my shortcoming in the single action mode already discussed. Myself, I would look for a Model 57 .41 magnum in the 6 to 6 1/2 inch persuasion and be happy. If I were you, I wouldbuy the one that feels more comfortable to me and don't look back. My experiences anyway, James

Tar Heel
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
It it's any more help, I chronographed the 41 Magnum 295gr SSK bullets today. The load was 16.0 grains of H110, lit off with a CCI 350 LPM in a 4" Ruger Blackhawk. Believe it or not, these clocked at 1450 fps.

Coffeecup
02-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Tarheel, I'll pass on shooting those 295s out of my short B'hawk; I can't think of anything around here I'd need them for. I tried a similar load using .405 Winchester bullets back in the late '80s, never knew how fast it was going, just that it hurt to shoot in the little gun but did nicely in the 6.5" barrel. Your velocity explains it!

I'm still rationing out my box of precious Platinum Tip factory ammo (PLATINUM??? Is that why they cost so much???) but I did get a package from Midway today, and by tonight I'll have some plinking ammo loaded.

I really like this little beast, good size for general carrying and such. TNSailorman, size is a big reason to go with this package, it carries easier than a long-barreled N frame or my Dan Wesson 44. (I was about ready to put a shoulder sling on that Dan Wesson before I decided to just swap it off.) Got a coyote with the .41 yesterday, something that only happened because the .41 was handy--the .44 wouldn't have been stuck in my belt like that. Gotta get a holster sewn up for the thing. . .

gandydancer
02-28-2012, 10:39 PM
I am a ruger hand gun fan (revolvers) In 1962 i got my first 44 mag and you had to do nothing to it. over the years I have had many others. most of them where great guns. some where not. unles they were tuned up some. look at an old mfg ruger 30 carbine blackhawk cylinder to back of frame in the old styles almost no gap. the new ones? you can drive a Bus through there. what I belive today with just about all ruger single actions need to be tuned up as they come from the factory to work as I like them to. lapping the bore & cylinders. what ever works.

gandydancer
02-28-2012, 10:49 PM
never had to have a cylinder throat recut on a 44 ruger before. just a little lapping that's about all.

Tar Heel
02-28-2012, 10:50 PM
I am a ruger hand gun fan (revolvers) In 1962 i got my first 44 mag and you had to do nothing to it. over the years I have had many others. most of them where great guns. some where not. unles they were tuned up some. look at an old mfg ruger 30 carbine blackhawk cylinder to back of frame in the old styles almost no gap. the new ones? you can drive a Bus through there. what I belive today with just about all ruger single actions need to be tuned up as they come from the factory to work as I like them to. lapping the bore & cylinders. what ever works.

I don't know G-Dancer. I bought all my revolvers 25 years ago and haven't handled a new production Ruger since then. I can't believe the QA program at Ruger has deteriorated to that extent. I know designs have changed some. Perhaps that may account for some of the recoil shield gap or something.

Here is what my factory Ruger does. Shot this today. Open sights, bench rest, 25 yards, 295 gr cast PB bullet, 16 grains H-110, 1450 fps. Did not need lapping, boring, polishing, tuning, 'smithing or anything. Factory gun - plain and simple.

Pulled one round low, the other 5 touch.

gandydancer
02-29-2012, 03:20 AM
looks dang good to me tar heel. I just picked up a Ruger 357 mag 3 screw looks worse for wear then it is. it was mfg in 1968 it was found in a GI ammo can in a bed room closet inside a leather holster by hunter with a box of 38 rounds & 12 empty brass the people who owned the house for 30 years never knew it was there they said they had sold all the old mans guns years ago. they sold it to me for $250.00 I think it has a 5 digit serial # its as tight as a drum. shot it today factory ammo. I forgot how much them 357 snap. I think I got a good deal. GD

Tar Heel
02-29-2012, 09:52 AM
looks dang good to me tar heel. I just picked up a Ruger 357 mag 3 screw looks worse for wear then it is. I think I got a good deal. GD

DANG! You lucky dog. Is it a 6" bbl?? Years ago I traded in my Ruger 6" .357 since it was way to "common" and I had more use of another. Like always, I wish I had that 6" 357 now to shoot cast bullets through.

Moonie
02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
wow, 3 pages and NO ONE asked why on earth you would want to get rid of a Dan Wesson?? Of all the guns I've had I miss my DW the most, granted it was a 445 SM

Tar Heel
02-29-2012, 12:16 PM
wow, 3 pages and NO ONE asked why on earth you would want to get rid of a Dan Wesson?? Of all the guns I've had I miss my DW the most, granted it was a 445 SM

Go Figure!

:kidding:

gandydancer
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
DANG! You lucky dog. Is it a 6" bbl?? Years ago I traded in my Ruger 6" .357 since it was way to "common" and I had more use of another. Like always, I wish I had that 6" 357 now to shoot cast bullets through.
no it is a 6.5" bbl. I will post some photo's on here in a bit

jwp475
02-29-2012, 03:22 PM
The .41 is much more versatile than the .44 Special and, if loaded to magnum velocities, a much more serious killing machine. A .250 grain (heavy for caliber) will out penetrate a 240 grain .44 Mag and even when down loaded to 8 or 900 fps, will out perform the .44 Special in destructiveness and equal it for accuracy. I have two .44 Special S&Ws, 2 .44 Mag S&Ws and a .41 S&W. If I absolutely had to shoot a Brown or Grizzly bear with a hand gun, the .41 would be my take to the job weapon. The .44s are wonderful guns but for me, the .41 is a better deal. Wish I had a short rifle in .41.

210's will out penetrate 240's IME. I love the 41 mag

gandydancer
02-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Here it is Tar Heel the 3 screw I told you about its a 6 digit serial # and a 6.5" bbl GD

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_66914f4e7fdd0428a.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4178)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_66914f4e7ffb05a58.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4179)

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_66914f4e8013bf8a6.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4180)

Coffeecup
02-29-2012, 04:18 PM

I was kinda surprised by that too, but it is an easy question to answer. I shoot the gun very well--on my best day I don't expect the accuracy from my "new" .41 to equal what I got on my worst day with the DW44.

But I was never able to find a way to carry the DW that wasn't incredibly awkward and didn't get in the way. I'd rather carry a carbine, at least I could sling that. Accuracy does me no good if I left the gun at home because I hated trying to carry it.

And before anyone says "try this holster" or "try that holster": I did. After two years of losing money swapping through holsters, I gave up. If I was shooting competition, or wanted it for a dedicated hunting or range gun, it would be wonderful. Unfortunately, that isn't what I want, so now it is seeking a new home with someone who will appreciate it for what it is.

Tar Heel
02-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Here it is Tar Heel the 3 screw I told you about its a 6 digit serial # and a 6.5" bbl GD

What a piece of junk! I'll give ya $100 and take it off your hands.

:bigsmyl2: