PDA

View Full Version : DIY Enfield No.4 Scope Mount

HollowPoint
02-19-2012, 03:59 PM
After a little more than two months of feeling under the weather with allergy related symptoms, I finally started feeling energetic enough to do what I've been wanting to do since I re-barreled my Enfield No.4

As is usually the case, I got in to much of a hurry on my first go-round. I ended up having to make the same part two times.

I finally got around to making up a good solid Scope Mount. I guess I could have bought a pre-made mount for 37-bucks plus shipping but I had a piece of aluminum stock that was just begging to be used.

Also, I wanted to make a Scope Mount that was a little more aesthetically pleasing to me. (My rifle-My preferences)

My first attempt ended up a little too tall for me to get a good mount on the rifle and Scope. Even with a quickly thrown together elevating wrap on the butt-stock it was still difficult to get a good sight picture without craning my neck.

I went back into my CAD software and shortened the height of the Scope Mount by 1/4". Much better.

I'm going to have to take the time to make up a better butt-stock wrap that brings my cheek up high enough to align my eyes properly with the cross hairs but for now I have a good solid Scope Mount that fits the profile of my old Enfield.

The elevating Butt-Stock wrap is next on my things to do list.

HollowPoint

plainsman456
02-19-2012, 04:19 PM
The one that I have has had the rear sight base ground off.So I could not mount anything there.
I found a side mount and shaped a piece of SS to fit the receiver,then attached the mount to that.
There was something about paying a lot of money for one and the fact that I needed something to do.The hardest part was making the mount solid,because it was one that flipped to the left,when not needed.
It makes a rifle shoot that would other wise would be sitting in a rack somewhere.

HollowPoint
02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
"There was something about paying a lot of money for one and the fact that I needed something to do."

I can totally relate to that. This is about $3.50 worth of aluminum and a couple of hours worth of milling; and I got what I wanted, not just what was available to the general public.

I'm just cheap that way I guess.

HollowPoint

longbow
02-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Nice work!

I was lazy and bought an S&K scope mount for my No. 5 and I just bought a "sporterized" #4 for $100.00 and it already has an S*K scope mount on it. The S&K costs bout $65.00 alone and the gun is in good shape other than cut down wood. I hope to put it back into military wood.

I am working on a cheek pad as well. The scopes sit pretty high... too high for me.

Longbow

ph4570
02-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Very nice work.

plmitch
02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Yes Sir that is some talent there, very nice work

HollowPoint
02-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the kind word gentlemen.

I got a chance to put together a removable Cheek-Pad this morning. The Butt-Stock on this old rifle is about the only good part of the wood on this gun.

I was reluctant to drill holes in it or alter it in any way so I made my Cheek-Pad that's held in place with velcro'd straps. It's nothing to write home about but it's fully functional, light weight and slightly adjustable.

Life is good again.

HollowPoint