PDA

View Full Version : Progress?

buck1
03-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Well I have all the kinks or at least most of them out of my new to me first progressive press( with your help).
Its been a learning thing to be sure. I need to find a new rythem and things should smooth out with more use. My RCBS lock out die will remain in place untill I trust my self more. If a primer doesnt make it to the case it does make a mess :( !

Just playing arround I loaded 50 480 ruger rounds start to finish in about 8-10 min.
And as far as I can tell all should be as good as if I loaded them on a single stage.
Dies are adjusted just the same, same powder measure, just all at once kinda thing.

Just a lot more to keep a eye on, and all at the same time. ................Buck

Hunter
03-18-2007, 12:44 AM
I have learned that using a progressive press is not that bad as long as you understand the press and are consistent. I think the progressive press is the way to go loading handgun ammunition but I cannot bring myself to load rifle rounds on one.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-18-2007, 09:50 AM
Buck1,

I own a Hornady LnL AP progressive press, a Lee Classic Cast turret and a Lee Classic Cast single stage. So I have all sorts of options press wise, which I'm finding to be a great thing.

I set up for and load any caliber I want to load large quantities (typically more than 200 rounds at a time) on my progressive. These calibers include 9MM, .45ACP, .223 and 30-06. I find the cartridges produced are every bit as accurate as anything I can produce with a single stage. (I have a Redding BR30 as my single stage powder measure.)

When I have quantities of 50-200 and I want to load lead bullets (such as milsurps) I've got the Lee Classic Turret press. For these type rounds, I use a Lee Universal Expander die and a case activated powder drop die (same case activated powder drop from my Hornady progressive) and the lower cost of the turret caliber allows me to pick up these "luxury" items for rounds I don't load a lot. This means I can quickly set up and reload 200 rounds for one of these rifles or several lots of various powder loads (for load development) in a much shorter time than I could reload these rounds single stage.

When I have a caliber I am likely to shoot once in a blue moon and for whom reloading components are quite expensive, I have the single stage setup with Lock N Load bushings so I can reload single stage inexpensively and quite quickly for single stage. I also use the single stage for a Lee Universal Decapper and CH4D crimp swaging dies.

I'm finding this to be a very versatile, convenient and a lovely little setup for my purposes. I would recommend if you have a single stage and a progressive already to add the Lee Classic turret for those "mid level volume" reloads.

Regards,

Dave

j4570
03-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Dave,

I second your opinon of having a GOOD single stage, a turret, and a progressive. I miss my turret since I had to move my reloading and decided I didn't use it that much, and it's on loan to my father for the time being. Once I get a larger space, I will probably get it back.

JW

Sundogg1911
03-18-2007, 12:33 PM
I think each type of press is good for different things. I have the Dillon SDB setup for .45 acp only. All of my othe pistol loading is done on a Dillon 550B (And .223 and 762x39 r). The rifle ammo I load progressive is just my plinkin'/Blastin' stuff. The more precise stuff I load on my single stage Rock Chucker (not that I don't feel that I couldn't do that as well with the Dillon, I just like to do that stuff single stage). I used to load all of my Revolver calibers on a Lyman Turret, but I ended up aquiring quick caliber change overs (With powder measures) for the 550, (12 in all!) :-D so I rarely use the Turret. I have a few of the Lee "C" presses that I use just to prep cases. They're all good! :drinks: