PDA

View Full Version : light paper patch bullets

two bit okie
02-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Ok, I dont even have the rifle yet, (have to sell jeep first), but can I use a lyman 452 230 gr for 45 auto, which I already have lots of, paper patch it up to 460 and light plinker (can you say mouse phart) loads for a 45-70. I have loaded for 45 yrs but this is the first time I have considered paper patching for a big bore rifle, which I dont even have yet.
Ideas appreciated.

PS, the rifle in question is one of the new rossi rio grande 45-70. Can you use a paper patch bullet in a lever action

idahoron
02-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I paper patch my ML. I have a 1-18 twist in it. I can't shoot anything less than 400 gr accurately. Ron

geargnasher
02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Sure! My only question is if you're shooting mouse phart loads, why not get a .459" mould and shoot grease-groove boolits? Unless you just enjoy patching like I do, there's not a whole lot of advantage to the paper vs. a properly constructed GG boolit load.

Gear

Nobade
02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
I've had good luck PP'ing the Ranch Dog 45 Colt bullet in my 45-70, I plan on trying some Lee 230 TL-TC ones but haven't yet. I use a drop tube to stuff IMR3031 in the case under that RD bullet and it really rips!

6.5 mike
02-20-2012, 02:35 AM
I've used the lee 300 gr 45 lc boolit with 2 wraps of notebook paper in my sharps. Good fire forming load. Bottom load in the lyman cast book with unique & a filler.
Never pushed it, so not sure how well it might shoot.

Think loading into the tube without going through a loading gate may help the boolit keep from tearing the patch, wo'nt know tell you try.

bigted
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
I've had good luck PP'ing the Ranch Dog 45 Colt bullet in my 45-70, I plan on trying some Lee 230 TL-TC ones but haven't yet. I use a drop tube to stuff IMR3031 in the case under that RD bullet and it really rips!

well i also did it! i patched my 250 grain 452 up to .4575 with 9lbs onion paper from baco. the load was 53 grains 3031 with a cci 200 primer. remington case.

shot this jewel thru my hunter winchester hiwall. just into the snow this time to see what would be left in the barrel...just small bits of burnt powder. the patch was shredded and partly burned that i found on the snow.

recoil wise it is a real pleassure to shoot. accuracy wise...no idea but this i do know...the barrel cleaned up with 1 oilly patch back n forth and turned it over and straight thru...clean n shiney.

IM SOLD AND HOOKED AT THE SAME TIME !!!!!!! what fun. cant wait to try some other boolits and powder combo's and then on to the 45-120 for some kick *** hunter loads.

what a hoot man !

nanuk
02-28-2012, 03:56 AM

I remember reading an article where the guy says to load IMR3031 like BP

he fills his case, puts his finger over the end and taps it down until the boolit just compresses it slightly and loads and shoots...

I am not sure I'd try this without some experimenting, but it seems you can't overload 3031 in a 45/70 with light boolits.

Nobade
02-28-2012, 09:11 AM
This is correct, you can't overload a modern design 45-70 with bullets less than 300 grains and IMR 3031. With 400 grain bullets you can get very close to maximum design pressure on a Marlin 1895, but still no problem with a Ruger or modern repro Highwall 1895 action. You most certainly can overload the 45-70 with 500 grain bullets and 3031. It likely won't blow but you will be WAY over SAAMI pressure if you fill one up with a bullet that heavy, especially if your rifle has a long throat to allow the bullet to be seated way out of the case.

bigted
02-29-2012, 12:02 AM
LOL...i did thusly with a 520 lyman and 3031. the gg boolit was lubed with my home brew and loaded over 52 grains of 3031. i fired it in my ruger and according to the manual this is not the top...well it was for me!!! it was fun jerking the ruger trigger with these but i can attest to the fact that my usual mild and fun ruger #1 came to life and i will allow it to settle down after such a temper tantrim. what a thumper and definetly not my idea of why shoot a 45-70.

i have a baco boolit wrapped with some 100 percent rag tracing paper that meassures .0025 and as soon as they dry ill stuff em into my rem cases and try them but this is a bit away from the lite boolits this thread is about.

that 53 grain load behind a 452 45 colt boolit wrapped with the 9 pound onion skin was a hoot and i cant wait to shoot it over my chrony to see how it scoots along. id also like to try some accuracy tests with it as well. so many things to try and so little time to do it...LOL