PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Suggestions

Danth
02-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Hello All: I broke my favorite non-marring hammer face and need to make a replacement insert as this company is long gone. The original was turned from a hard non shattering white material about 5/8" in diameter and about 5/8" long. Any suggestions as to what material would work best for this application and a good source for it? Also, I'm working on a Forehand and Wadsworth fine twist barrel which needs to be blued/browned. What are the best options for a twist barrel? The same gun has and outside hammer which is missing. I've tried Numrich and searching the web without luck. Anyone know a possible source for the missing hammer? Best, Dan

williamwaco
02-19-2012, 12:19 PM
If you want a cheap one, try Harbor Freight. You can get rubber, plastic, or nylon.
I also like lead hammers but haven't seen one in years.

If you want the "best", try Brownell's.

www.harborfreight.com/

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=10006/Products/Gunsmith-Tools-Supplies

thehouseproduct
02-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I've been keeping an eye on lead hammer molds and it seems to be an expensive prospect.

obssd1958
02-19-2012, 01:22 PM
An inexpensive lead hammer mould can be obtained by using a tin can, of the size that suits your needs. A small tomato paste can, or a larger chili can - both are useful sizes. Handle can be just about anything suitable that you have laying around. I used a threaded pipe cap, on a piece of pipe (cast the pipe cap into the head), so I could have just one handle, but change out the head when it became too beat up.
Not my ideas, but I don't remember who I stole it from, to give them credit!!

Hope this helps!

scb
02-19-2012, 01:28 PM
6/6 nylon
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-nylon-rods/=gbgxlz
Because of the danger of shooting twist steel (damascus) barrels, especially with smokeless power, the shop I worked for refused to blue(blacken) twist barrels. They were all browned. Bluing twist steel barrels was/is thought by many an attempt to defraud someone by trying to pass them off as fluid steel. I have been told that it is against the law in England (where gunsmithing is more tightly regulated by the gov't) to blue twist steel barrels.

booneh
02-19-2012, 05:53 PM
i use a pipe nipple. just use whatever size you want.i use a 1 inch x2 1/2. drill a hole in one side the size of your handle. then saw the pipe in half lingth wise.this will let tighten up on the handle.put the handle in about 2/3 -3/4 thru the pipe put a hose clamp above and one below the handle.put the pipe on a flat surface below your pot and fill let it cool remove clamps.
you only have to make this mould once. it will last.
i have made lots of these and when they get too beatup you just recycle.

booneh

uscra112
02-19-2012, 07:05 PM
+1 on the McMaster recommendation. A foot length of 1 1/4" round will keep me in hammer faces for life. (It does take a lathe to make a pretty one, but a hand drill and a hacksaw can be used in a pinch.)

Ben_51004
03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
There is a hard, but non-marring material called "Delrin" that machines nicely and might make a good replacement face for your hammer. An internet search might help find some. As far as the shotgun goes, I agree with "browning" instead of "bluing". Browning is actually quite easy and a light browning should set off the pattern in the gun barrels. As for hammers, check gun shows or gun shops for a "parts gun" you can get two hammers off of (so they match!). Use the single remaining hammer as a pattern part to look for a replacement pair. Good luck!

S.R.Custom
03-07-2012, 06:58 AM
There is a hard, but non-marring material called "Delrin" that machines nicely and might make a good replacement face for your hammer. An internet search might help find some....

Delrin is the brand name. The Generic term --the one you want to use when searching catalogues-- is "acetal." Enco has it by the stick for cheap.

As noted above, it's easily machined and quite durable. We used in it manufacturing for bump-stops on our equipment.