PDA

View Full Version : lead free solder

ubetcha
02-19-2012, 09:55 AM
I just bought a roll of lead free solder and happen to look at the back of the package and the list of things in the solder are Bismuth,copper,silver and tin.No percent of each item was shown.Is the bismuth,cooper and silver going to create a problem with the castability in the lead pot?

tuckerdog
02-19-2012, 10:18 AM
the solder I use contains copper and selenium and I have yet to have any problems. The bismuth would be a problem if it were a large% but doubt very much if it is. Bismuth is hard and relatively brittle. In the dueling days it was common for people of nefarious character to give their opponents a dueling pistol loaded with bismuth ball because of the inaccuracy. But as I said I doubt you have anything to worry about. You can mix up a small batch and try it first.

ubetcha
02-19-2012, 12:46 PM
I did use some in a pot full of ww this morning and I really don't like the looks of the bullets.They appear kind of frosted and I varied the temp between 700 and 800 degrees to see if it made a difference.But it could be my casting technique is off today

shotman
02-19-2012, 01:15 PM
its 98% tin so the other stuff is so small that it wouldnt matter. I hope you got a good deal on it Its $21 for a LB roll here just got a roll sat for plumbing