PDA

View Full Version : Ruger No.1 Ben's and waksupi's Fault lol.

JesterGrin_1
02-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Okay more Ben's lol. I plan to pick up a Ruger No.1 Stainless/Laminate in .243 this Sunday 2/19/2012 but without the scope as pictured then gather some more funds to send it off to Jess to have it Re-Bored to .358 Winchester with the barrel cut to either 20" or 22" still thinking on that one lol.

And I know it will not be as Pretty as Ben's Ruger No.1 in .358 Winchester but it should do the Job.

All thoughts are Welcome for this Project. So don't hold back. :bigsmyl2:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/RugerNo1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/RugerNo12.jpg

excess650
02-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Its a good looking rifle. Certainly SS/laminate looks better to me than matte black or SS in black plastic or camo. The rebore/shorten sounds like a good idea to me. Either 358 Winchester or 375 Whelen would be great cast boolit hunters.

Wanna buy a rock?:kidding:[smilie=s::bigsmyl2:

JesterGrin_1
02-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Oh I purchased a rock. Been there Done that lol. ( For newbies the rock was something that people on the forum got taken on awhile back. Sold as a sharpening stone lol. Yep we got a rock lol. )

I thought deeply on the 375 Whelen but after much thought which almost exploded my pea brain I decided on the .358 winchester. Since I have a 35 Whelen Bolt rifle and to be a .358 Winchester Bolt rifle. What would be better than a Ruger No.1 :)

rockrat
02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Dovetail the scope base for a folding sight and put on the front sight assemblies, like a 1A or 1S on it, so you will also have iron sights as backup, if needed.

TXGunNut
02-18-2012, 07:57 PM
How'd you (almost) arrive at that barrel length?

JesterGrin_1
02-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Dovetail the scope base for a folding sight and put on the front sight assemblies, like a 1A or 1S on it, so you will also have iron sights as backup, if needed.

Sounds nice and sounds Great and they would look nice as well. The problem is I could not see them good enough to hit anything lol.

JesterGrin_1
02-18-2012, 08:21 PM
How'd you (almost) arrive at that barrel length?

Well from my understanding of the research I have done the .358 Winchester only needs a 20" barrel to get everything done.

The only reason I am thinking of a 22" barrel is simply for looks. But I will figure that out when I get it in my hands tomorrow since I have never had one.

I know that in the Ruger No.1 platform with its short falling block action that the overall length of the rifle is normally 4" shorter than a comparable bolt action. So in other words this No.1 B with a 26" barrel is very close to the same length as a bolt rifle with a 22" barrel. But if I shorten it to the barrel length that would best be used by a 358 Winchester it would make it easier to handle in tighter spots as well as stiffen up the barrel and make it lighter to carry.

Just Thinking. :)

TXGunNut
02-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Just Thinking. :) -JesterGrin_1

Just Asking. :wink:
I agree with the virtues of a short rifle, btw, just wasn't aware that the .358 was happy in a relatively short barrel. Sounds like a good plan, will be fun to watch.

JesterGrin_1
02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
TXGunNut look at the BLR in 358 Winchester it has a 20" Barrel and works well. But from what I have read you are limited to the PSI that can be used in the BLR. But you do not have these restraints in the Bolt Action or Falling Block Action. So with the Medium Rate Powder burn rates that can be used in the .358 Winchester they should be very efficient burning in the .358 Winchester and with a 20" - 22" barrel.

If I am wrong please correct my thinking?

TXGunNut
02-18-2012, 09:40 PM
If I am wrong please correct my thinking? -Jester_Grin1

Quite honestly I have no idea, that's why this thread interests me. I like the caliber. I like short, handy rifles. But know little about the cartridge. I've also always wanted a Ruger #1. I like the way you think, my friend!
Wonder how LeveRevolution powder would work for your project? Pretty awesome in my .32 Spl, can't wait to try it in my .35 Remington. Seems to me it'd be even better in your .358 Winny than in my .35 Remmy.

JesterGrin_1
02-18-2012, 09:49 PM
I do not have any LeveRevolution Powder. And honestly I hope not to purchase more powders than what I have on hand lol. I have TAC/H-322/IMR-3031/IMR-4350/RL-15 and 2400.

For Bullets I have Speer 250Gr Hot-Core/Speer 250Gr Grand Slam/Hornady 200Gr FTX.

For BOOLITS I have the BRP 360-225 GC and NOE 358009 RN/GC

Ben
02-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Cliff :

You're going to end up with a fine rifle. If it is worth doing , it is worth doing right.

Ben

JesterGrin_1
02-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Ben the only thing I am going to change is the Caliber and Barrel Length. And I sure hope it works out well.

I feel for an up to 250-300 yards the 358 Winchester is hard to beat plus with all of the very extensive ways one can re-load the cartridge. Plus with the shorter length as said it will be very handy and with it being stainless will help with the pretty high humidity we have down south. As well as the stock being a laminate it will have less movement and if I scratch it on a Mesquite tree it will not hurt nearly as bad as if I scratched that Beautiful stock of yours Ben. :)

JesterGrin_1
02-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Anymore thoughts? Or am I just beating a Dead Horse?

I will say I picked up the Ruger No.1 Today and till this time I have never really handled a Ruger No.1. And I have to say what in the world took me so long. :)

nanuk
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Anymore thoughts? Or am I just beating a Dead Horse?

if you are getting a rebore, how about the 375/08? Very efficient, AND a thumper.

should work very well in a 20" barrel.

JesterGrin_1
02-21-2012, 04:13 PM
I thought about a .375 but if I were to go that rout it would be the 375-06. And to be honest right now I am geared towards the .358 both in molds and reloading die's. Also from what little experience I have had with the .358 hunting. I do not feel I would need anything larger for what I do. But a fall back is my Marlin 1895 GS in 45-70 :).

Before I started on this .358 Winchester / 35 Whelen kick I told myself I needed to narrow down what I load for as in what I like the most and run with those. But I will be darned if I liked that .35 Whelen so much I am running with the .358.

In other words I am positive that now and into the future I will use the .35 Whelen and the .358 Winchester the most for Hunting.

Followed by my Marlin 1895GS in .45-70 and keep a couple of 30-06's ready to go.

I have a couple of .243 Win Rem MoHawks 600's and an AR in .223. But where I hunt there is always a possibility that I will see a Hog and I am just not comfortable with those smaller calibers for such game.

I know that I do not fit the mold here all that much since I am not a Target Shooter or a Plinker. I only shoot targets to work up ammo and to verify accuracy or to brush up on feel of what I am shooting before using it seriously. So my main goal is a good hunting rifle that does the job and does it well. :)

tdd4570
02-21-2012, 06:00 PM
JesterGrin

I'm going to stick my uninvited nose into this. Hope you don't hold it against me.

I would suggest that you go with the Whelen. You can download it just like you can do with the .358. But you can't get the 358 up to the Whelen. You still have the same wt, the same barrel length, etc... You just have the option to get an additional 200 fps or so.

I have a K-1a in 35 Whelen. From the bench I wish it was a little heavier, but it sure does carry nicely. I just need to get rid of the sights and the high gloss finish.

I'm sure it will be a wonderful rifle whichever direction you choose.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters.

Dave

excess650
02-21-2012, 06:08 PM
JG1,
Don't be shocked if you fing the length of pull too long on the factory stock, and/or need extension rings and/or longer eye relief scope. Burris(?) makes an adaptor that allows the use of Weaver style rings on a #1.

JesterGrin_1
02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
JesterGrin

I'm going to stick my uninvited nose into this. Hope you don't hold it against me.

I would suggest that you go with the Whelen. You can download it just like you can do with the .358. But you can't get the 358 up to the Whelen. You still have the same wt, the same barrel length, etc... You just have the option to get an additional 200 fps or so.

I have a K-1a in 35 Whelen. From the bench I wish it was a little heavier, but it sure does carry nicely. I just need to get rid of the sights and the high gloss finish.

I'm sure it will be a wonderful rifle whichever direction you choose.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters.

Dave

Dave I did ask for opinions. So no worries.

But right now I have a 35 Whelen built on a Marlin XL-7 Action and Boyd's Thumb Hole Stock. Great shooter and Deadly on Hogs lol. And I know sacrilege lol But I do not plan to shoot lots of rounds through it as it and the Savage 358 Winchester below will be my main hunting rifles. And so Jacketed for these two will be just fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/Marlin%20XL-7%20build%20to%2035%20Whelen/35Whelen4.jpg

And I have a Savage made into a .358 Winchester that should be on its way soon. The scope and rings will not remain on the rifle. It belongs to the builder of which wishes to check his handy work first before sending it. And yes I did agree lol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/savage1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/savage2.jpg

I just always wanted a Ruger No.1 even though I have never handled one. And now that I have I think to myself why did I wait so long lol. And if it works it will be my primary cast BOOLIT shooter. :)

JesterGrin_1
02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
JG1,
Don't be shocked if you find the length of pull too long on the factory stock, and/or need extension rings and/or longer eye relief scope. Burris(?) makes an adapter that allows the use of Weaver style rings on a #1.

Yeah I read something about that. So I was looking at the Redfield 3x9x40 or if possible the Redfield 3x9x50. Not sure if they will work though but there eye relief looks good.

tdd4570
02-21-2012, 06:48 PM
JG

What is the color on the Savage? I like it.

Thanks

Dave

JesterGrin_1
02-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Duracoat Titanium. The Stock by Boyd's is called I think Fall Harvest. But it was a special run.

Here is the Thread on the build. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=115528&highlight=Savage

Markbo
02-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Jester, I have a question: Why the .358? I must presume this is for hunting and not paper punching. :-) Seems like an awful lot of cartridge for anything in Texas.

JesterGrin_1
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Yep just a Wabbit Rifle lol. But no really it will be for Deer of which I know is a bit large but a Big Hog might come into view lol. So I like to carry something so that I know my bases are covered. :)

Texantothecore
02-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Jester, I have a question: Why the .358? I must presume this is for hunting and not paper punching. :-) Seems like an awful lot of cartridge for anything in Texas.

Surely you jest.....this is Texas, afterall.

Typecaster
02-24-2012, 07:24 PM
"Don't be shocked if you find the length of pull too long on the factory stock, and/or need extension rings and/or longer eye relief scope."

I thought I just needed arm extensions. Or to turn on the bandsaw…

Richard

waksupi
02-24-2012, 09:35 PM
May I just say, I am proud to be an enabler.

Mk42gunner
02-24-2012, 10:22 PM
I Really like they way the .35 Whelen handles deer; but for a cast boolit rifle I think the .358 Winchester will do all that needs done.

THe more I hunt with .35 caliber rifles, the more I think it is about the best all around bore size for use in North America.

Robert

JesterGrin_1
02-24-2012, 11:46 PM
May I just say, I am proud to be an enabler.

lol I knew you would be Proud. :)

JesterGrin_1
02-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Surely you jest.....this is Texas, afterall.

And to think once I was close to getting a 458 LOTT lol. But they are really not all that conducive to downloading for Cast lol.

The Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 does just fine. :)

JesterGrin_1
02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
I Really like they way the .35 Whelen handles deer; but for a cast boolit rifle I think the .358 Winchester will do all that needs done.

THe more I hunt with .35 caliber rifles, the more I think it is about the best all around bore size for use in North America.

Robert

From posts from Ben and Waksupi I caught the same Drift about the 358 Winchester. :).

JesterGrin_1
02-24-2012, 11:52 PM
"Don't be shocked if you find the length of pull too long on the factory stock, and/or need extension rings and/or longer eye relief scope."

I thought I just needed arm extensions. Or to turn on the bandsaw…

Richard

The Length of pull is Great. I feel it is a tad short in just a Shirt but when a Jacket is added in our Winter months I think it will be just about the right length.

MBTcustom
02-25-2012, 07:19 AM
.358 winchester is perfect. I settled on 35cal as being the best all around cast boolit a long time ago. I had a 35remington and it always seemed to be short on power. I made my own wildcat that ended up being slightly less than 35 whelen and it was to much. You always have to be under loading it with cast lead. The doggon thing will shoot 2800 FPS but it's a real trick to get a boolit to go that fast without paper patching or getting realy tricky with the lube etc. I built another rifle, and settled on 358winchester as being the perfect cast boolit cartridge. Given our modern ways of doing things, 2600fps as a max is very attainable.
Heres a picture of mine, its still a work in progress:
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/Photo12280832.jpg
If you're wondering how it does on deer, look at this one:
http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l481/goodsteel/Photo12281234.jpg
That was shot with a 250gr lyman 358318 RN. That was not a hollow point, and it was not soft lead. 358 just does what you want it to do and keeps its chin up and its shoulders square while doing it. That deer was shot at fifty yards, it buckled up and ran strait to me when I shot it. I ended up walking forward 15 yards to collect it. Next year I'm going to shoot one with hollow points, so maybe it will jump into the truck for me also. ;)

41 mag fan
02-25-2012, 09:42 AM
I like that idea....Blame Ben and Waksupi for buying the Ruger #1.
I like it so much, I'm going to a gun show this morning....if I buy a gun, sorry but it's got to be someones fault on here. :bigsmyl2:

Ben
02-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Well, looks like " I'm darned if I do, and darned if I don't ".

JesterGrin_1
02-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Nope you are more Darned if you Don't lol.

JesterGrin_1
02-25-2012, 03:29 PM
I like that idea....Blame Ben and Waksupi for buying the Ruger #1.
I like it so much, I'm going to a gun show this morning....if I buy a gun, sorry but it's got to be someones fault on here. :bigsmyl2:

Actually Ben and Waksupi helped a great deal. But in all honesty I have learned allot on this forum about many different calibers that are out there. :bigsmyl2:

And with the help of them and many others that have posted some great information on the .358 Caliber and its large variety of capabilities greatly helped me decide to give them a try.

With the build of my 35 Whelen it impressed me so much I feel that I have found out just how great they are along with a select few others.

Of which I feel strongly that the Hunting public at large was dealt a bad hand by the so called gun writers that have dismissed the .358 Winchester as a Brush cartridge or at best a Mid Range round. Thus have kept the Hunting public in the dark as to how Great the cartridge really is.

It is too bad really that the .358 Winchester has become pretty much a Re-Loaders cartridge due to the fact of the lack of factory ammo and there very high prices.

The same with the .35 Whelen which is a great hunting round. But Remington may have helped to kill the cartridge with there 1-16 twist instead of at least a 1-14 twist.

But it seems that the .35 Whelen is becoming stronger with the new single shot rifles made for the cartridge for certain hunting requirements.

Ok my Soap Box Broke lol. :bigsmyl2:

pmeisel
02-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks, guys, for the fine rifle pictures on this thread. For as much as I hunt these days I don't need another rifle now, but I sure like looking at em!