PDA

View Full Version : 45/70 Lube method?

sharpshooter81
02-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Hey I am new to casting and have a lube question. I am going to be casting 459-405-HB for my 45/70....Just wondering what the best technique for lubing this bullet is? I was thinking of making some Bens Red and doing a pan lube, but somebody in another thread said they would tumble lube with alox. Will the 459-405-HB hold the lube well if I tumble lube? It has huge lube grooves and it was my understanding that the best way was to pan lube. Just wondering. Sorry if this has been covered in another thread already, just didnt have time to sit and go thru them all this time :-D.....Thanks for the help!

btroj
02-18-2012, 03:17 PM
What sort of load are you looking to use? Pressure and velocity can make a difference in lube choices too.

I would probably go with the Bens Red and pan lube.

sharpshooter81
02-18-2012, 03:19 PM
nothing too fast, I haven't reloaded for my 45/70 yet....thinking just a medium load....trailboss or something at about 1300 fps maybe....can you tumble lube boolits with huge loob groovz?

btroj
02-18-2012, 03:34 PM
You an rumble line any bullet. Use the search function here to read up on Recluses 45/45/10 formula. Be sure to cool the JPW like he says, it does matter.
That is a great tumble lube and should do well with a Trailboss load. Don't know if Trailboss will get you to 1300 , I prefer it for 1000 to 100 fps. For 1300 you can use Unique or my favorite, around 22 to 24 gr of 2400.

I suppose I should ask what gun too, don't want to oer stress a trapdoor. My loads are all shot in my Marlin 1895.

runfiverun
02-18-2012, 03:38 PM
you can t/l non t/l boolits.
it works the same way as filling the groove mostly.
you are creating a lube gasket thats much thinner it is just everywhere on the boolit.
try some and see if they work for you.
fill the lube grooves on a few and see if that is better for you.

sharpshooter81
02-18-2012, 03:38 PM
I havent even bought my gun yet lol thinking a 1895 CB or a 1895SBL

runfiverun
02-18-2012, 11:25 PM
i have the browning 86 and am just getting started with it.
i made my version of recluses 45/45/10 lube and tumble lubed some of the boolits.
i am gonna try no gas checks, g/c's and my normal rifle lube in it at different velocities.
slightly different situation than you are looking at.
the hollow base might not be much good over 1300 anyways so a different lube won't matter so much.
i'll be pushing mine fairly hard for elk hunting.

DLCTEX
02-19-2012, 03:54 PM
If you try to apply enough tumble lube to fill the grooves you will not be happy. Two thin coats of 45/45/10 will just give a hint of golden color and is all that is needed IMHO. Any more will clog dies, chambers, mags, and generally make a mess. Ben's Red will work as a pan lube if you use a Kake Kutter, or make one from an empty case as outlined in a post by Ben. Cast Boolits > Bullet Casting and Reloading > Casting and Reloading Hand Tools
Kake Cutter Photos Well, that didn't work as a link, I'm being computer challanged today.

noylj
02-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Read about lead alloy and pressure. Estimate pressure and select alloy. Slug your barrel and verify that your as-cast bullets are at least 0.001" larger than groove diameter.
1) tumble lube as-cast bullets and one or two very thin coats of LLA or Recluse's 45/45/10
2) pan lube as-cast bullets using White Label BAC or Carnauba Red.
3) Hand lube with beeswax/Crisco on as-cast pure lead bullets and use black powder.
4) Have fun and let us know what and how you do. In particular, let me know as I really really want a modern single shot .45-70 myself.