PDA

View Full Version : Shot a few rounds in the 329 finally

tek4260
02-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, I am thoroughly unimpressed(disappointed) with the recoil. It recoils just like a 44. No more, no less. Should have wasted the cash on something like a 500 JRH or maybe even have sent a Blackhawk to Reeder for a bargain 475 Blackhawk.

After reading all the stories about the blast shield erosion I decided to start it out on IMR-4227. When the weather clears I will be running a few over the chrony in my SBH to see what I am giving up by not using H110. I was only able to get 22gr under the 300 and that is pretty compressed. I also shot a few 240gr cast over the same charge.

I must admit I did wimp out a bit and shot the first group of 300's offhand at 25 yards to get a feel for the revolver. The trigger is horrible. It has to be over 5#. I will have to order a spring or grind the stock one down a bit to thin it. I'll also have to look for a heavier hammer spring to speed things up a bit. The first 2 shots were well to the left. I really had to concentrate on not pushing the shots left and the next shot was closer. Then the last 2 climbed. Opened the cylinder and looked at the remaining round. Pull of course. They can't tie up the revolver since the throats catch them before they can clear the face of the cylinder. Something like a JHP or LFN might pull enough to tie it up.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0817.jpg

Then I sat on the bench and fired all of 3 240's before it started raining. They grouped pretty decent considering it was shots 6-8 out of the 329. Even shot close to POA without having to touch a screw. When it quits raining I will shoot a group from the bench with the 300's.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0816.jpg

Oh well, the recoil junkie in me is let down. I have no use for a DA. At least it is light and shot the 240's well so I won't have to load Trailboss in my 45's for my wife to shoot now.

subsonic
02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
I have wondered if the tight throats that the Ti cylinder guns seem to be plagued with are not put there to catch boolits. Oh, anD you're not supposed to cut the Ti....

Nice review. Seems accurate. H110 might change your perception, as I think 4227 recoils softer, at least in my .45 colt.

tek4260
02-18-2012, 02:13 PM
Yes the 4227 is milder. Here is a round fired with the same boolit and charge weight of H110 next to the one from the Smith. Hard to catch it in a photo, but there is quite a difference. The 4227 primer is completely concave, while the H110 primer is flat with machine marks from the breech face.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0828.jpg

snowwolfe
02-18-2012, 05:02 PM
Disappointed in the recoil? Just like a 44?

I owned revolvers ranging from a 329 .44 mag to a 4 inch in S&W 500. The 329 was sold, still have the 500's. Nothing I ever shot even remotely came close to the recoil of the 329 when it was stoked with warm loads. The 329 had such a vicious snap to it I could not tolerate firing more than about 2 full cylinders. My hats off to you if your hands find it easy to control this otherwise fine revolver.

tek4260
02-18-2012, 05:33 PM
I guess I am just not that tender. It is no where near as bad as my 45, 480, or 475.

I am about to turn down the ball on my belling die to increase neck tension to do away with the pull.

Like I said, it is light and that is reason enough to own it. It will be nicer when I change the sights out for regular ones and probably get a set of Collins Craft boot grips.

subsonic
02-18-2012, 05:40 PM
How does the H110 feel? More like what you were wanting?

tek4260
02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Haven't tried it. That case is one from my Super. I am still on the fence about the blast shield and H110. Pretty sad huh, but there is always tomorrow :)

subsonic
02-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I think AA9 or Enforcer might be what you want.

I also don't know how many rds o H110 rds you are actually gonna shoot, but you have other guns if you want to shoot a lot.

I would like to see what happens with erosion when neck tension is tighter and boolits get heavier. I proved to myself that both sloppy boolit lube and carbon in the case can reduce neck tension.

MtGun44
02-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I agree on the two cylinders. I used to shoot round after round, maybe 50 or so of full power
loads at a setting. Finally popped something in my thumb, and no limit myself to 2 cyls of
full power rounds for a practice session.

Bill

tek4260
03-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Was digging through some older reloads and found some 300gr SWC's over 22gr of H110. I have Mihec HP's loaded over the same load, but they will not fit the throats seated long, so I hadn't tried it with H110 until today. Fired a few rounds and wow, no comparison to 4227. Now we are getting to the point that it will be fun to watch friends shoot it!

Of course now that I like it a bit more, I am sure I'll end up trading it off or something before deer season!

subsonic
03-20-2012, 06:39 AM
H110 is like that. I don't know why.

H4227 leaves a bunch of junk in the gun. And a fellow we know says it is very temp sensative. Hodgdon says it's an extreme powder which is known for being temp insensative, but discontinued it. I4227 is not "extreme".

I really like my AA9.

429421Cowboy
03-20-2012, 08:52 PM
I don't know what to say besides wow.... Interesting thread.

MtGun44
03-21-2012, 05:24 PM
What ever you say.

Bill

dla
03-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Well, I am thoroughly unimpressed(disappointed) with the recoil. It recoils just like a 44. No more, no less. Should have wasted the cash on something like a 500 JRH or maybe even have sent a Blackhawk to Reeder for a bargain 475 Blackhawk.

After reading all the stories about the blast shield erosion I decided to start it out on IMR-4227. When the weather clears I will be running a few over the chrony in my SBH to see what I am giving up by not using H110. I was only able to get 22gr under the 300 and that is pretty compressed. I also shot a few 240gr cast over the same charge.

I must admit I did wimp out a bit and shot the first group of 300's offhand at 25 yards to get a feel for the revolver. The trigger is horrible. It has to be over 5#. I will have to order a spring or grind the stock one down a bit to thin it. I'll also have to look for a heavier hammer spring to speed things up a bit. The first 2 shots were well to the left. I really had to concentrate on not pushing the shots left and the next shot was closer. Then the last 2 climbed. Opened the cylinder and looked at the remaining round. Pull of course. They can't tie up the revolver since the throats catch them before they can clear the face of the cylinder. Something like a JHP or LFN might pull enough to tie it up.

Then I sat on the bench and fired all of 3 240's before it started raining. They grouped pretty decent considering it was shots 6-8 out of the 329. Even shot close to POA without having to touch a screw. When it quits raining I will shoot a group from the bench with the 300's.

Oh well, the recoil junkie in me is let down. I have no use for a DA. At least it is light and shot the 240's well so I won't have to load Trailboss in my 45's for my wife to shoot now.

Here's a writeup I put together of my experiences with mine: S&W329pd Information (https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/s-w-329pd-info) - hope it helps.

I applaud your shooting - there isn't much mass to dampen shooter movement so you did good. I'm surprised about that trigger - mine is very light. But I sent it back to S&W with a note complaining (amongst other things) a crappy trigger. They said they replaced the hammer.

I've kindof given up on a traditional roll crimp (too lazy to trim brass) and I just use the FCD now. The 329 is a great bullet puller.

I don't have a lot of big bore revolver experience, (just a couple 44 mags), but I never did understand all the hype about the recoil. It does jump of course, and it will pound the web of my hand bloody if I shoot 100 full-house rounds straight, but it is hardly surprising.

I don't know what it is about H110/W296, but it will cut my blast shield in two in under 1000 rounds. But since S&W does everything for free and fast I don't give it much thought.

I like having a 44mag that won't drop my pants if I loosen my belt :)

Have fun with your new toy!

Whitworth
03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I get jumped on every time I tell folks that I too was underwhelmed by the recoil, even shooting heavy loads. I keep hearing horror stories about how viscous the recoil is, but that just hasn't been my experience.

white eagle
03-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I guess I am just not that tender. It is no where near as bad as my 45, 480, or 475.

I am about to turn down the ball on my belling die to increase neck tension to do away with the pull.

Like I said, it is light and that is reason enough to own it. It will be nicer when I change the sights out for regular ones and probably get a set of Collins Craft boot grips.

Take the grip panels off and fire the thing :Fire:
should give you the pain you seek
or smash you hand in a vice first then shoot it :drinks:

44man
03-23-2012, 09:50 AM
The gun was not made for shooting all day, it will need to be sent back often. It will eventually cost S&W a lot from repairs. Buyers will take on the costs.

tek4260
03-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Take the grip panels off and fire the thing :Fire:
should give you the pain you seek
or smash you hand in a vice first then shoot it :drinks:

And post it on Youtube? :bigsmyl2:

Honestly it is pretty close recoil wise to a 480 SRH when loaded with H110.

Three44s
03-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Like 44man ........... that's how I see the 329 ......... pack a lot and shoot some .......

I don't think folks on the whole will shoot them enough that S&W will have so many repairs ... some guns or a few costing plenty but not a large percentage. Look at all the steel "29's" that just sit and collect dust along with the first and only box of shells ever bought for them.

But as far as shooting the 329, I had an opportunity a while back and liked the gun!

Pants around my ankles are no fun!!

For me, I already own a .44 MG in stainless ........... a 329 would have to come along at a "steal" for me to spring on it.

Besides, I have a new to me toy that hits the spot ....... a .480 SRH

Three 44s

white eagle
03-24-2012, 12:10 PM
not to hijack but yeah the 480 is sweet