PDA

View Full Version : NOE mold temperature monitor

kbstenberg
02-17-2012, 10:52 PM
First of I am not a payed representative of NOE
Tonight I used the mold temperature monitor for the 4th time. My results were extra ordinary.
I have only been casting for 1.5 years. Under normal casting I would through back 10 to 15% of my bullets for being out of my parameters for weight acceptability.
Today I cast NOE's RCBS 225- 55gr bullets. Of 400 bullets cast, 10 had bad basses (my fault), 40 were outside my weight parameters. 350 were within .3 gr high to low.
It was as simple as keeping my mold temperature within 15 degrees.
Kevin

Texantothecore
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Last night I drilled a Lee aluminum round ball mold for the Noe monitor. Easy as pie, I cut about 4 or 5 turns and then oiled with 3-in-1 and it worked famously. I checked the bit at each pull out and the bit never got more than 5 or 10 degrees above room temperature.

The situation I have been running into is that the two cavity RB has so much aluminum in relation to the bullet cavity that I cannot keep the mold at a good heat with just bullet heat but I must keep it up to temperature on a hot plate (Walgreens, 14.99). I am looking forward to pouring under these more controlled circumstances.

By the way, I had the plastic sleeve on the probe show some distortion due to the heat of the mold (350) and we moved the sleeve back on the probe with a needle nose pliers and solved the problem. Perfect.

I am really please with this monitor. It will allow me the time to do some more sophisticated things with the mold rather than messing around trying to get the heat right.

heavyd
02-21-2012, 01:55 PM
I do not know much about mold temp monitors. Could you not drill a hole and place a thermometer in your mold?

Mal Paso
02-21-2012, 09:01 PM
First of I am not a payed representative of NOE
Tonight I used the mold temperature monitor for the 4th time. My results were extra ordinary.
I have only been casting for 1.5 years. Under normal casting I would through back 10 to 15% of my bullets for being out of my parameters for weight acceptability.
Today I cast NOE's RCBS 225- 55gr bullets. Of 400 bullets cast, 10 had bad basses (my fault), 40 were outside my weight parameters. 350 were within .3 gr high to low.
It was as simple as keeping my mold temperature within 15 degrees.
Kevin

So I did a site search and this is the only result for a "NOE mold temperature monitor".

Al's website link defaults to the Gunloads main page. Where do I find one?

Thanks

cbrick
02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
You'll find it right here, great unit.

NOE digital casting thermometer (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=100997)

Rick

Mal Paso
02-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Very Cool! Thanks Rick! Again!

kbstenberg
02-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Texan I did the same thing yesterday to a 2 cavity Lee. Same as you the mold lost heat very fast. To keep it to temp. as the mold got to my minimum level I'd dip the corner of the mold into the pot lead to raise the temp.
I was dipping the mold into the pot about every 4 cycles.
The only molds I haven't drilled for the probe are my brass Mihec molds.
Heavyd I think if you tried to use a regaler thermometer it wouldn't register temp. change fast enough (just a guess) And it would be rather inconvenient with a 6" probe and the dial of the therm. where your hand is.
Kevin