PDA

View Full Version : Bluing small parts at home?

littlejack
02-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Hey fellas:
I was just wondering, is there was any company/distributor that sells a cold blue
kit or liquid for easy home bluing of small parts?
Every once in a while, I would like to have something blued or blacked, but don't
want to get taken to the cleaners by one of the local smithy's.
Any information would be appreciated.
Jack

walt53
02-17-2012, 11:16 PM
BIRCH WOOD CASEY has what your looking for. walt

largom
02-17-2012, 11:35 PM
There are lots of cold blue products available. Check Midsouth Shooters Supply, Midway and Brownell's. In my experience heating the metal with a hair dryer gives better results. Also, parts must be VERY clean.

Larry

fordwannabe
02-18-2012, 12:36 AM
I have had very good luck with Vans blueing but as mentioned earlier very clean and heated up helps. I use regular old simple green to get tthe crud off then a quick dip in alcohol usually with a string or wire attached then a heat source oven,hairdryer ect but nothing that will leave a film and then depending on the size of the part a dunk in a plastic cup of the blueing and it's beautiful. I have had better luck with the complete submersion in blueing than trying to wipe it on and getting an even coat.....but I go through a bunch of the solution this way.

sbowers
02-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Brownells oxpho blue is the best there is on the market, I say this from experience of being a gunsmith for about 40 years now and I have tried them all, Brownells also makes a little Quarter tank that you can hot blue small parts with using one of the little single burner propane stoves. But you will have to but some bluing salts frrm your local gun smith or buy it from one of the gunsmith supply houses and you will also need a themometer.
Steve

gnoahhh
02-18-2012, 12:29 PM
+1 on the Oxpho. Don't ignore the slow rust blue process either. It's easy, the set-up is cheap, doesn't require the use of hot salts, and gives a beautiful and tough finish. The downside is it's not fast.

leadman
02-18-2012, 03:26 PM
I use acetone to clean the parts before using Oxpho Blue. One thing that I do is put a small amount of OB in another container to use while bluing the part.
I found if you use the original bottle to moisten your appicator then it degrades the remaining solution in the bottle. If you are just going to touch up a spot this is not necessary.

I also use a plastic disposable cup for screws and other small parts and then cover with the OB and let them set a bit.

littlejack
02-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you fellas, you have been very helpful. I appreciate the expierienced input.
Jack

MtGun44
02-18-2012, 10:37 PM
T4 Dichropan from Brownells, heat the part to 250F or so the liquid sizzles as you apply it.
Clean VERY well, then heat, wipe on T4 with a wet cotton ball, keep swabbing until it
cools. Then, assuming the color is OK, and it always is for me, let dry and then oil well.

Bill

hornsurgeon
02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
brake parts cleaner and vans. be sure to heat the part first. after the dip in the blue, i then rinse and seal with ATF trans fluid. i've doen whole rifles this way. you can make a great "dip tank" from a piece of pvc pipe with a cap on the end. fill about half way with vans bluing (i buy by the gallon) and submerse the barreled action.

littlejack
02-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Again fellas, Thanks for all of the informatrion.
I will give it a go when needed.
Jack