PDA

View Full Version : dive weights?

45fan
02-17-2012, 08:40 PM
I have a question about dive weights, the type divers thread through a web belt. I was given two of them a 3 and a 4 pounder. I am guessing these are probably pure soft lead. Can anybody confirm on the composition of these?

If they are soft lead and if I mix 50/50 with wheel weights what kind of hardness can I expect from this mixture? I want to cast 45 acp light target loads.

Bill*
02-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Dive weights are whatever the caster could scrounge up at the time. Which means they will vary considerably. Try the thumbnail test for pure/close to pure.

clodhopper
02-17-2012, 09:02 PM
People who pour dive weights use what ever they can get their hands on.
Can you gouge the weight with your thumb nail?

jsizemore
02-17-2012, 09:10 PM
There were 8 dive weights at the scrap yard and 5 were lead and the other 3 had zinc. I dropped them on the concrete 2 weeks ago and the zinc are still ringing.

dale2242
02-18-2012, 10:52 AM
There are several dive shops in my area
I am going to sell the weights to them and buy lead of known alloy....dale

VA Shooter
02-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I got a bunch of dive weights 50 lbs and I do 50/50 WW and cast 45 colt and 45 acp and have had no issues at all I say go ahead and use them

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-18-2012, 12:10 PM
a local guy in my hometown is my competition ...lead scrounger.
I know he melts at high enough heat to melt zinc into the lead alloy of WW.
Jon

Longwood
02-18-2012, 12:22 PM
There are several dive shops in my area
I am going to sell the weights to them and buy lead of known alloy....dale

Diving is the worst "Look how much my stuff cost" of the jet setter sports.
Most of the dive shops only sell the fancy "High Dollar' belts.
I woul'd either trade at the salvage yard or sell the weights to working divers that are not out to impress everyone with their too expensive new gear.

45fan
02-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Dive weights are whatever the caster could scrounge up at the time. Which means they will vary considerably. Try the thumbnail test for pure/close to pure.

Bill yeah it is pretty easy to gouge with my thumb nail. I guess it makes these pure soft lead. So a 50/50 mix of this and WW make hard enough boolits for light target loads for my 45 acp?

Huntducks
02-25-2012, 12:53 AM
Amazing I was going to ask same ??? I got my hands on 3 belts about 100lbs ea in weight mine for sure are not pure lead they scratch with a knife like they might be WW or Magnum shot i'll try the steel BB test on them.

They don't ring like a bell so I doubt there zink there is a date stamped on each one like Jan.1967 and Oct. 1968.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-25-2012, 10:15 AM
I would try casting with the dive weight alloy without blending in any good know alloy,
just in case it's contaminated with zinc or other. to make sure it casts well.
then maybe measure hardness to get an idea of what to add.
if you don't have a hardness tester, I do...and others do.
send me a sample and I'll check it out. Or if you're doing some other deal
with a caster here, ask if they have a tester, send a sample with your trade goods,
and save postage. Just some thoughts,
Jon

Huntducks
02-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I gave the dive weights the scratch and BB test this morning I think there pure linotype, I'm going to smelt them down next week, I got several hundred lbs of other mystery metal that i'll also do, it makes it easy when you have 3 other lead pots.

I guess i'm just to cheap to buy a hardness tester.

JonB great that you offered to test for some of us cheap skates thanks, if I can't figure it out I might send you a 1/4lb round to test.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-25-2012, 04:06 PM
try to cast a bullet in a mold for the most accurate hardness reading,
no need sending any more than one boolit...unless you want more
than one alloy tested. a padded envelope that weighs less than 13 ozs
is about the cheapest shipping (USPS 1st class) in the lower 48,
the less weight, the cheaper the ship.
PM for my address when you want to send some.
Jon

45fan
02-28-2012, 01:34 AM
I would try casting with the dive weight alloy without blending in any good know alloy,
just in case it's contaminated with zinc or other. to make sure it casts well.
then maybe measure hardness to get an idea of what to add.
if you don't have a hardness tester, I do...and others do.
send me a sample and I'll check it out. Or if you're doing some other deal
with a caster here, ask if they have a tester, send a sample with your trade goods,
and save postage. Just some thoughts,
Jon

JonB thanks a bunch for test offer, I may take you up on that in the future. I have been reading a lot and learning. I have yet to cast anything. I am in the process of obtaining all the needed casting equipment and supplies and was given a couple dive weights thats why the question of hardness of dive eights. Once I have all my equipment and supplies I will cast a couple boolits with the dive weights only.

Thanks all for the support of us boolit molds. I really enjoy this forum everybody is very helpful.