PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP from Accurate Molds

ColColt
02-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I received another one of Tom's beautiful molds today for the 45-230M 45 ACP -a RN 230 gr variety in brass and three at a time which seems to be a good size for me. The weather was so good it was perfect timing to go out in the garage and knock out a few hundred. As always, boolits dropped from the mold well and they came out looking good. I wish it had gotten here a couple days ago I could have loaded some up for the trip to the range this morning but, there will be another time.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF4305.jpg

Grandpas50AE
02-17-2012, 06:19 PM
That is a nice boolit for .45 ACP and should work well. Let us know how it performs when you get it to the range.

geargnasher
02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes, looks like an excellent design. I'm sure it will shoot and feed well, I particularly like the nose profile and flat base, easy to lube and it ought to shoot well even in guns with little or no throat.

Gear

MikeS
02-17-2012, 10:46 PM
I also just got another Accurate Mold for my 45. I got the 45-250A in a 4 cavity brass mould, it's fairly close to the BD45, except that it has a very small shoulder between the nose and the driving bands, something my Jericho seems to want. Here's a picture of 2, one as cast, the other sized and lubed.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33510159/IMG_0139.jpg

I also got another Accurate Mold, this one for my RBH, it's a used aluminum 3 cavity mould (the first aluminum Accurate Mold I have), I just cast up a couple hundred of them today, but haven't taken any pictures yet.

Rockchucker
02-18-2012, 10:23 AM
When I get over the shock of buying a new star and heater the next mold purchase will be one like yours. Very nice!

white eagle
02-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Mike
I used to have one like yours
was a pain
when seating I had to go all the way to the front of the shoulder and it would create a lead ring on the front of the shoulder and they would be hard to chamber in my revo
is the boolit on the right a different boolit ??
I have been looking long and hard at the op's design but haven't gone any further ...YET!

Grandpas50AE
02-18-2012, 11:19 AM
Mike
I used to have one like yours
was a pain
when seating I had to go all the way to the front of the shoulder and it would create a lead ring on the front of the shoulder and they would be hard to chamber in my revo
is the boolit on the right a different boolit ??
I have been looking long and hard at the op's design but haven't gone any further ...YET!

Building up a lead ring during seating is usually due to not enough bell on the case mouth. Try belling the mouth a little more, until the base of the boolit enters the first few hundreths of an inch of the case mouth easily. You shouldn't see any more lead ring when seating.

ColColt
02-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Try it, you'll like it! Feeds though a 1911 like silk.

gondwana
09-25-2015, 07:17 PM
I received another one of Tom's beautiful molds today for the 45-230M 45 ACP -a RN 230 gr variety in brass and three at a time which seems to be a good size for me. The weather was so good it was perfect timing to go out in the garage and knock out a few hundred. As always, boolits dropped from the mold well and they came out looking good. I wish it had gotten here a couple days ago I could have loaded some up for the trip to the range this morning but, there will be another time.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x220/ColColt/Misc%20Stuff/_DEF4305.jpg

I know this is an old post but I found it while researching this board for my next 45 ACP mold from Accurate Molds. Thank you ColColt!

flint45
09-26-2015, 12:29 PM
He makes great molds I am very impressed with the two I have.

RobS
09-26-2015, 01:17 PM
The 230M is a close ogive to the original Lyman 452374 ball type mold however has the small meplat to it. I've shot some of these in both 45 Auto's and in 45 ACP revolvers and the boolits performed well

I put together something similar but put a touch larger maplat to my design which fit my needs better.

mongoose33
09-26-2015, 10:42 PM
I have the Accurate 200 grain version of that, and it's just sweet. I've shot them both lubed and powder-coated, and they're excellent.

Here's what I did with that boolit at 100 yards out of my XD-45, offhand; 11 shots, that's a 4' x 7' sniper target, 1' bullseye:

Here's the most recent batch, in Smoke's Signal Blue: