PDA

View Full Version : Colt bullet mold???

dubber123
03-17-2007, 05:32 PM
While pilfering through the mold box at the gun shop today, I looked at a mold I had passed over many times, thinking it was one of those Italian cap and ball molds. This ones steel, and when I picked it up, I noticed it says Colts patent on the top. That made it a bunch more interesting. On the side is 44H, (Henry maybe?). It casts a ball and conical, and measured about .455". What is it and is it worth getting? Thanks.

floodgate
03-17-2007, 08:11 PM
dubber:

That is for the .44 Dragoon and/or 1860 Army ("H" for:) "Holster" revolvers. They used to be common and cheap, but now they are bringing pretty big bucks. I'm not up on pricing, but there is a new book out: Robin Rapley's "The History and Identification of Colt Accouterments, 1934 - 1911", Graphic Publishers, 2510 N. Grand Ave., Santa Ana, CA 92705; e-mail <jmillet@sbcglobal.net>; ph. 1-800-496-8726. But it costs <gulp!> $125.00 + postage. Mould identification and dating are covered, as is a "useful key to rarity" which might help with pricing - or maybe the publisher can put you in touch with the author for an estimate. You can also see some good photos on the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Ass'n. website at<www.antiquereloadingtools.org>

floodgate

dubber123
03-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Floodgate, once again, you have the answer. This mold is in very good shape, and very tight. A little steel wool and oil would make it look great. I have been getting all the smaller 1 and 2 cavity molds for 25$ or less, so I think I may pick this one up. If for nothing else, I have thought of getting a cap and ball revolver, and using an origional tool would be neat. Thanks.

floodgate
03-17-2007, 11:58 PM
dubber123:

'way back when the .44 Army ORIGINALS could be had for, like $25 in shootable shape, I shot one quite a bit with balls cast in one of those old moulds, poured from a tuna can held with water-pump pliers in an open fireplace up in the Eastern Sierras. One tip: use a set of welder's gloves, or those insulated ones for fireplace use - those little moulds get HOT!!! The easiest way (on the mould) to pop the sprue is to hold the mould sideways and press the "ear" of the sprue-cutter straight down on a block of wood. Nice to know the old ways still work in a pinch.

Doug