PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 311446 & H&G 44 molds

dubber123
03-17-2007, 05:22 PM
This was todays haul from the gun shop. I think the Lyman 30 cal is a Loverin design, but thats about all I know about it. The H&G is neat, a swc in one cavity, a swc hollowpoint in the other. The pin for the hollow point is adjustable for depth, and reversible to a smaller diameter pin. Really a neat mold. I still need handles for the H&G. The same shop has what he is calling a "salesman sample" mold. It is a Lyman 4 cavity, with 4 different cavities, 2 different wadcutters, 2 different swc's. It has handles and appears new. Didn't have the cash this week, maybe next weekend. I love getting different molds!

floodgate
03-17-2007, 07:46 PM
dubber123:

Look again; that Lyman should be #311466, not -446; if so, it IS a Loverin, 152 gr. gas-checked with a longish round nose; an excellent bullet - takes a #467 top punch for sizing. Look for a PM on the "salesman's sample" 4-holer.

floodgate

dubber123
03-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Floodgate, yep, you're right, the box was labelled "446", the mold is stamped correctly, "466". Thanks for the correction. I Mickey Moused some Lee handles onto the H&G and cast some out of both cavities, NICE MOLD! The whole hollow point thing keeps you pretty busy, but it makes some great looking bullets. I loaded some of the hollow points up for my 4" Smith Mountain Gun. Hopefully it will like them.

lawboy
06-20-2007, 01:50 AM
dubber123, I just received an H&G mould exactly as you describe. Mine is a two-cavity with handles. One is a gas check swc, the other is a gas check swc with hollowpoint pin. Pin is adjustable and appears reversable, with one tapered side ane pone flat side that looks like it might also serve as a cavity plug. The mould is marked H&G 51GC. It is in excellent shape as are the handles and I am going to love shooting these up against my lyman 358439hp mould to see how they perform. The Lyman pin is much larger in diameter than the H&G pin, .155 versus .123, but is not adjustable. The Lyman bullet has a longer nose and is plain base, of course. the H&G bullet has more drive bands but a thinner front drive band, and the lube groove is higher up on the bullet shank than on the Lyman bullet. Interesting stuff! Regards.