PDA

View Full Version : Teach me about Contenders

Jim
02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
In a nut shell, what's the difference between an Encore and a Contender? Can you put an Encore barrel on a Contender frame?

I just got my first Contender in .223 and I don't know squat about these guns.

Thanks, guys!

gandydancer
02-16-2012, 11:51 PM
I have a few my self 2 tenders 1 encore & 1 G2 encore & contenders you can not inter change barrells. contenders and G2 barrells you can none of the wood is inter changeable I don't think? go to mike Bellms TCs for all kinds of information. Bellm TCs make sure your Hinge Pin is tight"snug" or it may not shoot all that well. Tom

bigfoot
02-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Jim tenders are a blast to shoot,i have an old contender frame with a 223 w 14" barrel an a 22 lr barrel. I enjoy shooting both calibs. I think you will enjoy yours also. They are quite a few tender fans around.
bigfoot

gandydancer
02-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Jim if you think they are fun to shoot as a hand gun wait untill you try one with a 21" bbl in a carbine like a 45/70 my TC carbine 21" 45/70 W/muzzle break has about 1/2 of the recoil of my ruger # 1 with the same load. Tom GD

stubshaft
02-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Tenders come in 4 basic flavors, Original, Easy Open, Armor Alloy and G2. Encores come in one version only, there is no such thing as a G2 Encore. The early Tenders had an octagon barrel and solid barrel lug, this was later changed to a split lug versions. The easy open version can be identified by the trigger guard pivot being placed more in the center of the assembly rather than near the front as it is on the original. The Armor Alloy looks like a stainless version with the pivot point in the same place as the easy open and the G2 looks like the easy open but has side panels resembling and Encore.

Armor alloy frames and barrels are not interchangeable with any other tender. Some of the very early solid lug barrels may not fit later frames. All split lug barrels will interchange with most early through G2 versions (some with slight modifications). Usually the G2 has a small pin on the bottom of the barrels breech block and is easily removed.

Octagon forends were usually only on the 10" barrels and cannot be used on a non octagon barrel. Most single screw round barrel groove forends will interchange with all 10" bull barrels. Forends for 14" barrels are usually 2 screw affairs and will interchange with all 14" round barrels.

Grips for the G2 have a different internal angle and a larger inletted area. There are adapters made to use a G2 grip on an older tender.

Factory rifle barrels 16"+ used a different 2 hole spacing from the pistol versions and G2 buttstocks will not fit an older version without an adapter.

Encores and Contenders are not interchangeable.

Jim
02-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Clear as mud. All I understand now is, I have a single shot break-open gun that's chambered for .223.

Be patient with me, guys, I'll catch up eventually.

lbaize3
02-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Jim, I saw the picture you posted of your contender. It is the old model and you can adjust the trigger with a tiny allen wrench. Cherish that model. The newer G2 does not have an adjustable trigger and I simply do not like it. About the only thing you might encounter with your pistol would be a hammer spring that does not ignite military primers. If you encounter that, go to Mike Bellm's site and look up hammer springs. He provides information on how to install these springs and the job is fairly easy. The bipod mount on the front of your barrel should not influence accuracy to any large degree due to the stiffness of the smaller barrel.

You want to use the pistol to shoot coons at night. I suggest that you use a FMJ bullet (available from Weidners) at less than 2000fps and sight in the pistol at 25 yards. A scope with illuminated cross hairs should help a bunch. And, if you do not already know, you have to break that model pistol open to reset the trigger so you can cock the hammer. If your finger brushes the trigger before cocking the hammer, you will have to open the barrel and and close it so the hammer will cock.

I have been using those things since they first came out and still do not know all there is to know. However, I really do enjoy using them.

Shooter
02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Jim,
You are in danger! It will seem harmless at first, just one more barrel, soon you will need another frame, more grips, forends ect.
Then you will find what a handy carbine can be made. (Great for coon hunting BTW)
More barrels, more scopes, then you need a safe for barrels and scopes.
Be afraid!

williamwaco
02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Jim,

The answer to your question "what's the difference" is:

The Encore action is larger, heavier, and more robust than the Contender.
It is approximately one eighth inch wider, and neither barrel will fit in the other action.

Jim
02-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Jim, I saw the picture you posted of your contender. It is the old model and you can adjust the trigger with a tiny allen wrench.

I found that out. Actually, the trigger is as if it was set for me before it came. It's perfect!

Cherish that model. The newer G2 does not have an adjustable trigger and I simply do not like it. About the only thing you might encounter with your pistol would be a hammer spring that does not ignite military primers. If you encounter that, go to Mike Bellm's site and look up hammer springs. He provides information on how to install these springs and the job is fairly easy. The bipod mount on the front of your barrel should not influence accuracy to any large degree due to the stiffness of the smaller barrel.

I've been wondering about that. I'll find out in about a week when I get a chance to put it to the test. I'll post photos of targets.

You want to use the pistol to shoot coons at night. I suggest that you use a FMJ bullet (available from Weidners) at less than 2000fps and sight in the pistol at 25 yards. A scope with illuminated cross hairs should help a bunch.

I think I'll stick with my Cricket for shootin' 'coons. However, we have a lot of gophers and a few 'yotes around here. A handy little .223 might be a lot of fun for that!

And, if you do not already know, you have to break that model pistol open to reset the trigger so you can cock the hammer. If your finger brushes the trigger before cocking the hammer, you will have to open the barrel and and close it so the hammer will cock.

Yup, found that out messin' with it.

I have been using those things since they first came out and still do not know all there is to know. However, I really do enjoy using them.

I'm sure I will, too! Thanks for your comments, it helps to get feedback.

Shooter said
"Jim,
You are in danger! It will seem harmless at first, just one more barrel, soon you will need another frame, more grips, forends ect.
Then you will find what a handy carbine can be made. (Great for coon hunting BTW)
More barrels, more scopes, then you need a safe for barrels and scopes.
Be afraid!"

Oh, Lord, what have I done?

Williamwaco said
"The Encore action is larger, heavier, and more robust than the Contender.
It is approximately one eighth inch wider, and neither barrel will fit in the other action."

William, you get ten points for a simple, straight answer!

midnight
02-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Talk about handy. Years ago, T/C made a 45-70 barrel with a muzzle tamer on it. It was 16¼in long. Put a carbine buttstock on it and had to use the pistol forend cuz it was the only one that fit. Shot a deer end to end with it. 412gr Lyman flatnose went in the chest and broke the femur on the way out. My favorite deer gun next to the Beowulf.

Bob

Blacksmith
02-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Jim

Find a Contender shooter in your area and get him to show you his goodies. Many of us amass an array of things and actually seeing handling them will aid your understanding when some is talking about original vs G-2 or handgun vs carbine.

They are a fun gun.

Jim
02-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Jim

Find a Contender shooter in your area .....

I live 5 miles outside of Smalltown, USA. Most of these ol' boys up here have never heard of one, nevermind own one.

marshall623
02-17-2012, 03:26 PM
Jim make sure when you size your brass, that they chamber easily , Tenders , if not sized enough you will think the action is shut , but if the locking lugs are not fully ingaged show like light firing pin strikes and misfires . When I size a batch of brass I check them with the barrel off the frame and make sure they are flush or you can let them stick up about .002" and I check that with a staight edge and feeler gauge. 1 more thing, there is some debate Neck Size or Full Length. I used to neck size all the time but now I'm leaning toward rounds that chamber easily and besides I've noticed no difference in accuracy or case life with a properly setup full length die ( adjusted so brass is flush with end of chamber ) Hope that helps Tim

marshall623
02-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Jim If you are in Wytheville any slip over to the gun shop on Grayson turnpike he's played with Tenders some and thats where I got my 7 TCU barrel at while I was working down in that neck of the woods I couldn't reemember the road but I thinks It's 21 S. about 2 mi out of town

Shooter6br
02-17-2012, 03:55 PM
i need to know info for each"version:" of the Contender pistol i believe there was 3 models as the pistiol evolved. Looking at used pistols Thanks

rexherring
02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
I had the older one with an octagon 10 inch .30-30 barrel and a 14 inch .223 bull. I don't recommend the 10 in. .30-30 unless you're using reduced cast boolit loads but the 14 inch .223 was a prairie dog killer at 300 yds. all day. It shot just about every kind of load I put through it but I did work up some super accurate loads later. Not sure if I still have the loads but I'll look for them.

uscra112
02-17-2012, 06:12 PM
The Gen 1 Contender with the "adjustable" trigger is actually a set trigger mechanism, like the Schuetzen single shots of the last age. Much to be desired. The downside of all Contenders (as I have found out) is that the action is not very stiff, which makes getting accuracy more difficult, (as I have found out) and IMHO they ain't strong enough for anything past maybe .30-30 or .223. My .357 Max barrel is marginal if I load it full-house.

The Encore is much stronger, but no, Encore barrels will not fit a 'tender.

Buying extra barrels created headspace headaches for me. No two are like, and while you can shim the firing pin bushing to get it right for one barrel, it probably won't be for any others, especially for rimmed cartridges.

Mike Bellm's site has good information, but be warned that his "advice" is aimed at selling you his products and services. If you're getting occasional light primer strikes, for example, you do not need a new hammer spring until you've checked to see if the hammer block slide is clearing correctly. That was the problem with mine, and the fix cost exactly zero $$. Buying his oversize pivot pins will not solve looseness unless the oversize is exactly what your particular gun needs, within .0001", and that's mighty unlikely. Reaming the holes larger to fit his S/S pin recreates the same looseness you had before, unless your gun was really, really sloppy. Buying a few plug gages and honing a 3/8 machinery dowel to size costs no more and gets you a better solution. Und so weiter.

Olevern
02-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Jim,
I'll bet the next time you go to a gunshow with your dealer friend you will notice all sorts of barrels and accessaries for the Contender you would not have taken notice of before.

dale2242
02-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Jim, a buddy and i went out and shot our tenders yesterday.
I had my 30-30 and 223.
He had his 223.
All had 14" barrels and 4X LER Leupold scopes.
They never fail to amaze me how well they shoot.
The 30-30 loaded with 311291 and 10 gr Unique is accurrate and pleasure to shoot.
Women and kids will shoot every round I take with me , from this gun.
I bought the 30-30 barrel to shoot cast only and have never been disappionted.....dale

gandydancer
02-19-2012, 02:16 AM
Jim If you are in Wytheville any slip over to the gun shop on Grayson turnpike he's played with Tenders some and thats where I got my 7 TCU barrel at while I was working down in that neck of the woods I couldn't reemember the road but I thinks It's 21 S. about 2 mi out of town
that gun store is in Wytheville out on 21 south two miles from the railroad over pass that Marshall623 talks about is owned by RD Porter its called New Era shooters supply inc opened 3 three hrs a day from 3 to 6 pm mon thru sat and has a good amount of items & a gunsmith for repairs. if the item you are looking for is not in stock R.D. will get it for you at cost plus a small % of mark up.and any information you need you will find it there. The guys that hang out there remind me of the guys on here always ready to help you out. I know I'm there at least 4 four days a week just to shoot the bull. stop by you will enjoy the place Tom/gandy

Rafe Covington
02-19-2012, 03:18 AM
I have 4 tender and 5 encore frames, have 14 barrels in both tender and encore persuasion. I bought my first in 1969, can't tell you how much fun I have had with TC handguns over the years but it has been alot. JMHO

Rafe:redneck:

6.5 mike
02-19-2012, 03:32 AM
You're in a heap of trouble now Jim. Bought a 6 m/m tcu tender from a older fellow, good deal, brass, dies, bullets/ powder, primes, ect. That morfied into a 6.5 jdj bbl, 22lr, 7 m/m tcu, 30 herrett, 22 hornet, & now a 6.5 m/m tcu. It just never seems to end. Coarse now you need the dies, if you don't already have them, moulds & all the rest that go with them, [smilie=l:.

If you decide to move up to a heavier cal, look at the 7 m/m tcu. Mine does very well with pp'ed boolits. Easy to make from .223 cases & good amount of useable moulds for hunting. And see I told you that you needed to try pp'ing for a 22.:kidding:.

stubshaft
02-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Then there's the custom route. This is my Bullberry Stepped Barrel 6mm TCU.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/stubshaft123/6tcu012.jpg

6.5 mike
02-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Stubshaft, just think how much of Jim's money we can help him spend [smilie=w:.

Norbrat
02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Stubshaft, just think how much of Jim's money we can help him spend

Thumbhole grips are nice. I got one from George L. Peterson of Western Gunstocks many years ago, and this looks like some of his old stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273916575

Looks like George's son is in the same business http://www.treebonecarving.com/index.html

Jim
02-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Stubshaft, just think how much of Jim's money we can help him spend [smilie=w:.

Gran'daddy used to say "It don't take long to figger out who ya' friends are." :bigsmyl2: [smilie=s:

Blacksmith
02-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Jim

You like helping the young folks shoot. Well a Contender in the carbine configuration in .22 LR with a shoulder stock and either a regular scope or Williams peep sights makes a handy single shot light enough for a kid. Now you will have lots of things to put on your Christmas lists.

Blacksmith
02-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Jim

They are nolonger in business so you cant spend any money but they left up the pictures of some nice stocks. Just to give you an idea of what's possiable.
http://www.muttmotorpool.com/contender.html

Jim
02-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Jim

You like helping the young folks shoot. Well a Contender in the carbine configuration in .22 LR with a shoulder stock and either a regular scope or Williams peep sights makes a handy single shot light enough for a kid. Now you will have lots of things to put on your Christmas lists.

I got a Cricket for plinkin'. Come spring when the groundhogs pop up, I'm gonna sic Jarrett on 'em with the 223 barrel! We got cattle farmers all over this county BEGGIN' people to come kill 'em.

canyon-ghost
02-19-2012, 11:51 PM
The country boys that I know that might have heard of a contender, they all shoot silhouette, Jim. Lol. Look up some NRA metallic silhouette shooters, especially Hunter's Pistol and Unlimited Pistol. They can tell you quite a bit about them.

Jim
02-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Ron, the closest gun club is over an hour away. The only competition we got around here is card shoots at the VFW every other Saturday. I think there are about three other handloaders in the immediate vicinity. The closest caster that I know of is about an hour away.

I'm tellin' ya', man, I'm isolated!

6.5 mike
02-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Jim, if you don't mind using military brass let me know, I have a bunch. Only catch is I'm on the boat right now. The first volume of the Loadbooks for contenders has alot of .223 info, both cast & the others.

Enjoy your tender, BUT watch out, they are addicting, [smilie=1:.

stubshaft
02-20-2012, 05:39 AM
Enjoy your tender, BUT watch out, they are addicting, [smilie=1:.

Don't worry Buddy, after the first shot he's ours!:groner:

6.5 mike
02-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Ya, it will only take a couple shots & the hook will be in real deep :popcorn:.

Forrest r
02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
It doesn’t take long to acquire pieces & parts for these little gems. A new caliber is only a barrel away & I really can’t think of a better setup for cast bullets.

I just shoot pistol calibers in my contender anymore. A 22lr, 357 & 44mag barrels with a standard stock & thumbhole stock and a 14” BR fore end, standard 14” bull bbl fore end, a 10” bull bbl fore end & a 10” octagon fore end. Along with a pistol scope & a set of Leupold base/rings.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/contenderstuff.jpg

I shoot a lot of Free pistol @ 50yd/50m & use the Contender for practice. The 1 in 14 twist of the 357 mag bbl is the cat’s meow for 148g WC bullets.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/357contender.jpg

With contender bbl’s I can extend the bullets out to engage the rifling’s of the barrel increasing accuracy by eliminating the free bore & bullet skidding. A 358495 bullet left, same bullet loaded in a 38spl (#2 from left), same bullet loaded in a 357mag (3rd from left) & the same bullet loaded in a 357mag for the contender (far right).

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/38wc.jpg

Enjoy, you’re in for a real treat with these Contenders.

crappie-hunter
02-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Jim

I sure wish you were closer to me I have a assortment of encore and contender stuff that I would be happy to share with you.Short barrels,long barrels,butt stocks pistol grips, g2 frame old style frame etc.but I just checked mapquest and I am 302 miles away and 4hrs and 56 min according to mapquest.

Anyway if you ever decide to make a trip to Pa. south central,cumberland county,shippensburg chambersburg area or even gettysburg battle field let me know ,PM me for contact info. if you do.

Jim
02-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Mike, I 'preciate the offer of the brass. Somebody just sent me some and I got more comin'.

Bad dream last night. I was thrashing around underwater and I heard somebody yellin' "GET TH' NET, GET TH' NET!!" Somebody pulled me out and I heard Stub shout, "Wow, Mike, that's a big one!"

:kidding: :bigsmyl2: [smilie=s:

stubshaft
02-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey Jim!
They come in snubbie verisions too, here's my .44mag.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss20/stubshaft123/500002.jpg

Jim
02-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Stub, you and Mike are killin' me. :violin: And y'all know it, too, dontcha'? [smilie=b:

Man, that looks FUN! [smilie=w:

Geraldo
02-20-2012, 09:24 PM
I bought my first Contender in the 1980s, and I now invoke my right against self-incrimination and refuse to disclose how many frames and barrels I have. I will say only that it is a more than sufficient number for my needs, but insufficient for my wants.

The problem is that you find a good deal on a barrel, so you buy it. Then you scope it and find brass and dies. Then you repeat that fifteen more times until you've got every conceivable niche covered. Some would say that owning a few .35 standard and wildcat barrels is excessive, but the true Contender man sees no problem with that. When you add an Encore to the mix, it only gets better. You will soon find out what your particular caliber obsession is and only a lack of money will keep you from having it.

Enjoy it, and start clearing out a shelf in your safe for more barrels.

Blacksmith
02-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Jim

Don't forget the Single Shot Guns section also has Contender information.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

TXGunNut
02-20-2012, 11:56 PM
My 14" 'Tender is one of the best shooting rifles I have. :wink: It likes 26.5grs of 748 under a 50, 52 or 55 gr Hornady J-bullet. Doesn't really care. And no, I won't tell you how tight it shoots. I will tell you the ported .35 Remmy barrel is pretty much guaranteed to clear the bench to the right and left of my position. [smilie=1:
I once bought a complete pistol with an Aimpoint in .44 because it was too cheap and I needed something to work up loads for my brother's new .44.
It's a sickness, Jim. Put it down and walk away before it's too late.:kidding:

6.5 mike
02-21-2012, 02:00 AM
Your lucky I'm on the boat & to dumb to post pics. Mine are not real fancy but good shooters. And the others are right, at a gun show you do tend to look at ALL the tender stuff you've walked by, just helps keep your wallet empty,lol.

If you have a loading manual with a single shot pistol section, they have good info on loading & case prep for the T/C's. Setting the shoulder back is the bigest no-no. The Sierra one lists loads for both the 10 in & the 14's, not sure bout .223, but know it does for the tcu's.

BTW, that brass offer is open ended if you need some down the road. :Fire:

stubshaft
02-21-2012, 03:10 AM
How else is he going to form the 6mm TCU and 7MM TCU Mike??? LOL

6.5 mike
02-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Lets not forget the 6.5 tcu, 225 win & 444's for the SSK stuff (now we are really going to spend YOUR money), 30-30's for the herretts & the list just keeps on going, [smilie=l:.

Jim
02-21-2012, 07:33 AM
..... I will tell you the ported .35 Remmy barrel is pretty much guaranteed to clear the bench to the right and left of my position..... [smilie=1:

6:30 in th' mornin' and I'm already laughin'! I got an instant visualization of that.
"DUDE! Man, what th''... ":shock:

Geraldo
02-21-2012, 02:30 PM
How else is he going to form the 6mm TCU and 7MM TCU Mike??? LOL

See what I mean, Jim. Non-Contender people wouldn't understand why you should really have both. But we do. :drinks:

Blacksmith
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Owning a Contender teaches you to appreciate the subtle differences between seemingly similar calibers. By just switching barrels (untill you get multiple frames) you can compare the nuances of the .221, .222, .223, .224, .225, and .226 and the variations with each of those.

6.5 mike
02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Well have you shot it yet ? Stubshaft & me are waiting :popcorn:.