PDA

View Full Version : Southwest meets the Orient

Obsolete
03-17-2007, 03:30 PM
I'm in my late 40's and just 6 months ago got married for the first time..... so I have a bit of a bachlors mentality when it comes to cooking.IE I try to make as little mess to clean up as possible.... And this is about as messy as I get.

A simple stove top grill pan and a medium pot, a spatula ,and a chinese chef's knife and one butter knife.

Grilled veggies and fish ... Obsolete's way.

I never seem to make this the same way twice but it goes something like this.

Chop up some :

Red Onion
Green onion
Red Bell Pepper or Orange , Yellow or what ever.
Brocolli flowerttes and stalks cut small ( Subsitute Zuchinni or Summer Squash )
Some greens ( I use Baby Bok Choy or Kangkong or Spinach ) chopped .
Some Red Pepper flakes
Half a dozen cloves of Garlic ... smashed and chopped
Freshly cracked Pepper
Chopped black olives ( opt )

Toss all the above onto the grill pan and get that cooking..... it will take a few minutes to soften it all up.

Take the other pan and put in some Refried Black Beans to heat and add some Salsa to the refried beans and slowly heat up.

After the veggies get going add a small splash of Soy Sauce and Rice Wine Vinegar ( sub some fake Balsamic Vinegar if you wish )

When all is good and cooked toss in some chopped up Catfish and some Shrimp... I've made this with Snapper , Black Bass , Bluegill , Crappie , Bangus , Cod ... it's all good.( no need to bread or batter or coat the fish , Marinate if you wish ) Just toss the fish and shrimp in with the veggies.

Finish the veggies and fish with maybe a tablespoon of Seafood Cocktail sauce if you wish.

Take some warmed flour Tortillias spread some of the beans on the torts... add a spoonfull of the veggies and fish with a small piece of sharp cheddar cheeze on it.... Fold the torts over and dig in.

It tastes alot better than it may sound and is quite healthy with tons of fiber.... and it fills ya up !

BigSlick
03-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I use Baby Bok Choy or Kangkong or Spinach

You puttin GOrilla in them fish bean tacos too ? :mrgreen:

These sound great. I'm gonna do up a pot of black beans today and try this one out for sure this week.

Thanks for the recipe,

'Slick
________
MARINE INSURANCE ADVICE (http://www.insurance-forums.org/marine-insurance/)

hivoltfl
03-18-2007, 03:23 PM
<-------<<<< had all my lower teeth pulled Friday, this thread is killin me, REAL HUNGRY..... another 3 weeks till my new plastic ones are ready :sad:

Obsolete
03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Slick,

Hehehhhe sorry no Gorilla meat in there..... I've eatin some strange foods in my day but cant recall ever having Monkee or Gorilla.... at least not knowingly.

For those who dont know Kangkong is a common Tagalog word for a type of greens that is native to Southeastern Asia..... Mostly grown in the swampy lowland areas. Tankong is the Visayan / Cebuano word for the same stuff...... It's a vine that has a leaf that is about an inch wide and six to seven inches tall .... both the leaves and stalks are tasty.They wilt down just like any other cooked greens that most are used to... like mustard or collard or dandelion ect.I understand it's common in Thailand also... most likely Vietnam too..... I dont know their words for it tho....... There is also a highland area version but naturally has a different flavor and is not nearly as common as the swampy grown.

If you guessed that I'm a Filipino ... No just an American pure bred Mutt who has been to the Philippines and Guam several times.

Highvoltfl,

I'm sorry to do that to ya...... Hang in there , I'm sure you will be breakin those new choppers with a vengance real soon.