PDA

View Full Version : Colt New Service Questions

nelson133
03-17-2007, 03:13 PM
I bought a Colt New Service at a gun show today and if anyone could point me to a site or sites with info on this gun, I would appreciate it. I have wanted one of these for over 30 years and ran finally ran into one when I had money.
It may have been reblued, but it appears to be in very good shape. Everything is tight and the cylinders appear to line up right. The action is smooth but stiff, leading me to believe it wasn't fired much. It has the stag grips. It is the fixed sight version with a 6 inch barrel, lovely handling gun. According to the serial number it was made in 1916.

floodgate
03-17-2007, 03:49 PM
nelson133:

Go to "Gun Report Magazine" at <contactus@thegunreport.com> and request a copy of Bob Murphy's "Colt New Service Revolvers" at $7.50 + $1.25 p+h. It was written 20 or so years back, but with 64pp and 63 photos and drawings it has a lot of good info on these magnificent handguns. I regret the four I have owned and then parted with over the years, especially the ivory-gripped .45 Colt x 7 1/2" New Service Target model I passed on to a friend several years back.

floodgate

chunkum
03-18-2007, 01:43 AM
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

These fellows on this forum have more information on colts inclluding the New Service models than you could ever need. I have several of these revolvers and this spot has been very helpful to me
Best Regards,
chunkum

nelson133
03-18-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the help, It's very useful to have a body of experts to consult.