PDA

View Full Version : Forums banding together-where are we?

Bret4207
03-17-2007, 12:51 PM
So whats the status on getting a central rallying point for the forums so we can organize things? Another flash in the pan?

Uncle Grinch
03-17-2007, 01:16 PM
I thought GunLoad Master had set this site up to use....

"Perhaps what we need is a different place to talk about political issues where voices can be heard...

http://stopguncontrol.info/ (http://stopguncontrol.info/) "

Bret4207
03-17-2007, 02:20 PM
I get the screen, but no way to post anything. We need to get something going on this.

If we can agree on one meeting spot all of us can contact the administrators of as many boards as we can. That should hit 90% of the boards. If we get the admins on board they can pass along the info to their boards and we should be able to have a pretty effective grass roots type campaign.

Currently there seems to be a lack of centralized organization, which is a spot that GOA or NRA should have filled long ago. So we need to do it and the sooner the better. I'm willing to do my part, where do we go from here?

TAWILDCATT
03-17-2007, 05:40 PM
bret:I just got of it clic on forum in the header:coffee:

Bret4207
03-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah, I can get to Gun Loads, but it's the regular Gunloads site. Am I missing something?

Gunload Master
03-18-2007, 01:04 AM
I have full access to stopguncontrol.info I just don't have the time to mess around with this right now.. If someone out there would like to get started on this project, please let me know!

leftiye
03-18-2007, 03:10 AM
Currently there seems to be a lack of centralized organization, which is a spot that GOA or NRA should have filled long ago. So we need to do it and the sooner the better. I'm willing to do my part, where do we go from here?

Bret, I totally agree with you on this. It's flatly unbelieveable that NRA hasn't done this ten years past. Must be a bunch of control freaks or something. Not really, but it passes my understanding how they could ignore an opportunity like this. Ted

The Double D
03-18-2007, 05:11 AM
After the Zumbo crucifixion you would think that groups like the NRA would be looking at the internet a bit different now.

Of course the NRA was awful slow on the uptake.

Bret4207
03-18-2007, 09:48 AM
Will- What needs to be done to get the site going?

Gunload Master
03-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Someone with some web design knowledge to create the place and add forums, blogs, chats, whatever we need..

I might try to get a few things going today and see what pans out.

Bret4207
03-18-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm sorry, but that stuff is way over my head. Do what you can and maybe some else here can help. Anybody?

floodgate
03-18-2007, 12:14 PM
leftiye:

"Bret, I totally agree with you on this. It's flatly unbelieveable that NRA hasn't done this ten years past. Must be a bunch of control freaks or something. Not really, but it passes my understanding how they could ignore an opportunity like this. Ted"

Easy; no way for the direct mail companies that - I am convinced - REALLY run the NRA to get their standard 50% cut of all the money that comes in. He77, I'd even use PayPal if I were sure the money went straight to ILA or whichever other NRA subsidiary I wanted to support.

floodgate

Gunload Master
03-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Heres what I go so far:

FORUM:
http://www.stopguncontrol.info/forum/index.php

(I need ideas and thoughts for categories to setup on the forum) (also, you can start setting up your profile and registering on the forum as it is live)

Mambo Based homepage:
http://www.stopguncontrol.info
(I am brand new to this type of software, if anyone has expirence with Mambo PLEASE let me know!)

So far so good?

leftiye
03-18-2007, 01:53 PM
Flood, I didn't want to REALLY get started on bashing the NRA - that's why I asked that that way. They aren't the only game in town any more, and in spite of all they've accomplished, it's real dissapointing that they do a lot of things that they do. And, as said it's REAL CONFUSING that they don't get serious and stop passing up opportunities to gain clout, and effectiveness. H*!!, they don't even answer letters and emails, and heaven forbid that they let the membership into the decision making in running the organization (or, apparently even give a d@*n what the members want).

floodgate
03-18-2007, 02:33 PM
leftiye:

I'm not really into bashing the NRA either; it's just that I find it frustrating that they do not do a more effective channeling of the PEOPLE-POWER out here in the "real" world. They do seem to be captive to the DC network of direct mailers and lobbyists, but that's how the game is played back in "Disneyland-on-the-Potomac"; having served time there, I recognize it all too well!

Another - relatively minor, but real to me - frustration is the absence of any NRA central archive of firearms literature, at least to compare with their "hardware" museum and displays. As I get older and narrow down my span of interests, I have forwarded a large part of my lifetime accumulation of firearms books and "ephemera" to the excellent and all-inclusive collection maintained by the American Single Shot Rifle Association's Editor Emeritus, Rudi Prusok (see the ASSRA website for copying and loan policies and costs).

Among the "paper" I still retain, and consult almost daily, is a complete file of the "American Rifleman" from the first bi-weekly issue of June 1, 1923 to date (including a number of Xerox copies of early issues kindly made for me by Rudi). It is fascinating to read through these (I pull out one copy to check an early Lyman or Belding & Mull ad, and find myself reading the whole magazine, and then following the "thread" through successive issues); the technical material in the earlier ones reads virtually identically to a good day on Cast Bollits' "Today" page, complete with questions and responses - we don't see this kind of material any more in the AR (I guess the Undernet has taken over this function, but archiving it is almost impossible; "paper" is still best for that purpose). What you do see, though, in those faded, brittle old pages is almost precisely the same legislative battles we are fighting today; the principal difference being that the term "assault rifle" had not as yet been invented (it comes from the German "Sturmgewehr" MP43 / KAR 44 8mm "shorties" developed late in WW II).

Sorry, this turned into another "rant" after all, but not really a "bash".

Doug Elliott

leftiye
03-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Cool with me. The truth is the truth. AND it was interesting and informative to read. Ted

Bret4207
03-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Ok, thanks Will. I've registered and left a few thoughts. Lets get this going.

45nut
03-18-2007, 03:47 PM
I like it!

georgeld
03-19-2007, 12:12 AM
BM: You need to perfect the registration.

I went thru the whole game three times and still keeps kicking it back.

357maximum
03-19-2007, 01:02 AM
It won't let me register either...

Gunload Master
03-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Can you guys be more specific on what's going on? Is it the registration on the forums or on the website itself? Don't worry about registering on the website yet. I'm not sure if that is going to stay the way it is.

jb12k
03-19-2007, 08:14 PM
It let me register, after a couple tries at reading those letters you have to input. I know something like that is needed, but with upper and lower case both shown, and the weird positions and backgrounds it is hard for these old eyes to decipher!

Bret4207
03-20-2007, 05:44 AM
It's up and running. We need everyone to go to the boards they visit and let the Administrators and Moderators know about the site and ask them to join us. If you find another site with similar intentions please let us know too.