PDA

View Full Version : Drilling centered holes in the boolit for leementing

Alan in Vermont
02-16-2012, 04:12 PM
OK guys, here's the tip of the month.

Getting holes drilled as close to center as possible, in the base of boolits, so you can put a screw in them to lap a mold can be touchy.

I pulled out one of my woodworking tools for the job.

In woodworking, when mounting door hardware, if you don't get the pilot hole for the screw in the center of the countersink in the hardware the screw goes in crooked, stand proud on one side of the countersink, looks like butcher work etc.

The same problem arises in our trying to center drill a boolit. The closer to center we can get the hole the better it is to twirl the boolit in the mold to lap the cavity.

Bring on the Vix-Bit (http://vixbitsonline.com/)! The drill bit is centered in a spring loaded retracting locator. The point of the locator fits in the countersunk hole in a hinge or in our sprue plate. If you've got a drill press it gets dead easy, just set the depth you want to drill into the boolit and go at it. Using a hand drill you do need to try to keep the drill perpendicular to the mold and be VERY careful not to go too deep.

Only small hassle is that you can't drill very far into the lead before the bit plugs up. The cure for that is to drill a little, then work the lead out of the drill flutes. Lead is so soft that it doesn't come out in chips but "extrudes" into a lead wire that fills the flute and jams the bit in the tool body. Luckily mine only spun the bit on the retaining screw. It could have easily broken the bit.

They are a bit pricey to use for one mold, I already have three of them from back in my woodworking years.

Iron Mike Golf
02-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Brilliant!

MT Gianni
02-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Drilling through the sprue plate pour holes cuts down the odds also.

Iron Mike Golf
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
The vix-bit protects the sprue plate. That was what I envisioned.

rosst
02-16-2012, 11:56 PM
just what i needed to know at the right time . .. cheers for that

Alan in Vermont
02-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I put a drop of oil in the sprue recess to lube it while the locator was spinning in there. Never even marked the blue on the sprue plate.

BD
02-18-2012, 03:42 PM
I just put a small block of scrap wood in the drill press vise, drill a boolit diameter hole, drop in the boolit and stake it with a pair of small finish nails, then change the bit in the chuck to the size for the screw and drill the boolit base. Keeps everything perfectly centered. Which ever way you go, be sure and drill in very small steps or the lead waste will jam the bit and you'll spin the boolit
BD

Mal Paso
02-18-2012, 10:28 PM
I just put a small block of scrap wood in the drill press vise, drill a boolit diameter hole, drop in the boolit and stake it with a pair of small finish nails, then change the bit in the chuck to the size for the screw and drill the boolit base. Keeps everything perfectly centered. Which ever way you go, be sure and drill in very small steps or the lead waste will jam the bit and you'll spin the boolit
BD

I like that!

I have one mold that the sprue holes aren't exactly centered on the cavities.

ubetcha
02-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Vix-bit is what I use also.Only draw back is the lead has a tenency to jamb the outer coller.Locate everything nice and straight in the drill press and away we go

runfiverun
02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
i just drill the hole and put in a screw.
the boolit is gonna go around in circles in the mold.
i use one of those star bit headed screws.
if it's a bit off center it don't matter.

stubshaft
02-25-2012, 07:54 PM
i just drill the hole and put in a screw.
the boolit is gonna go around in circles in the mold.
i use one of those star bit headed screws.
if it's a bit off center it don't matter.

Amen!

Montana Ron
02-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Fishawk............You did that so well I'm still chuckling.........I'm reading this along with all these
brilliant rube goldburg procedures and I'm thinking..........I'd just put a bullet in my lathe and you
just simplified the issue to another level...........it's amazing mankind has made it this far...........