PDA

View Full Version : dk17hmr hot glue bullets update

Jim
03-17-2007, 12:24 PM
All the credit for this goes to my buddy, Doug(dk17hmr).

After reading his posts on making hot glue bullets, I spoke with him by phone and he gave me lots of details.

I went to Wally World this AM and bought a hot glue gun and a package of sticks. When I picked up the package of sticks, to my surprise, the diameter was shown as ".44". Hmmm, interesting.
I got everything home, opened it up and got ready to start making bullets. Just out of curiosity, I checked the fit between a stick and a .45 Colt case. Lo and behold, it's a press fit! I then tried the fit between the stick and the barrel of my Colt New Service .45 Colt Revolver. I managed to get about 2 inches of the stick shoved down the barrel, but it was a tight fit. I got out a coupla sized and primed .45 Colt cases, shoved the stick in as far as I could and cut it off flush with the case mouth with a razor knife.
I took the loaded cases and the revolver and headed for the shop. I laid a 5 gal. bucket on the table, slid an empty cardboard box over the open end, leveled and fired. POP! I heard the "bullet" bounce off the back end of the bucket. Upon close inspection I found very little deformation to the bullets. I think they could be fired a few times before having to be trashed, but the cost is so minimal, I figured it's not worth worrying about.
I went back to the bench and loaded 6 rounds of .45 ACPs with glue stick bullets, same method. I loaded them in a full moon clip and they work fine. By the way, on a side note, the primers backed out of the .45 Colt cases because of the excessive head space. No problem at all, however, with the ACPs in the full moon clip.
I haven't tried for distance or accuracy yet. I'll let y'all know how that comes out.
One thing I found that is noteworthy is I found a slight trace of glue deposited on the lands of the riflings. A couple of strokes with a .45 caliber bronze wire brush, a couple of strokes with a patch and some light oil and the bore was back in mint condition.
I'm gonna put a very light coat of graphite based anti-sieze compound in the barrel before my distance/accuracy testing. I'm thinking that might eliminate the glue smearing onto the riflings.

I'll bring this up to speed when I get more done on this.

Doug, thanks again, bud!

Jim

dk17hmr
03-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Heck ya beat me to it, I was just going to PM you and ask how it went. Didnt even need a mold I see. I never thought about doing it like this.

I am going to put some together tomorrow with the glue bullets I already have made up and turn on the TV in the garage and do some shooting tomorrow night.

Buckshot
03-18-2007, 08:33 AM
...............Sounds very interesting, and like fun guys! Keep us informed.

...............Buckshot

Jim
03-18-2007, 09:37 AM
It's 0845 hrs, Sunday. I spent ALL DAY messin' with the hot glue bullets and I had a GREAT time! Sure was nice to just relax and play.

OK, if ya got a .45 caliber handgun, ya' don't need to cast the glue bullets. The O.D. of the .44 caliber glue sticks, right outa' th' pack are a perfect bore ride fit to a .45 caliber handgun barrel. I said HANDGUN twice for a reason. The fit is an INTERFERENCE fit to a .45 cal. handgun, but NOT to a .45 cal. rifle. I tried it in my bolt .45-70 and it's a slip fit. Too much slop.

BE ADVISED: YOU MUST HAVE A PHD IN AEROSPACE PHYSICS OR THERMONUCLEAR DYNAMICS TO DO THIS!

Step 1: Drill out the primer hole in a .45 ACP or .45 Colt case with a 5/32 bit.
NOTE: I tried a 1/8 bit first and still got a tiny bit of primer backing. However, this may be because of one or possibly two reasons. My Colt N/S revolver is head spaced for ACPs with a full moon clip. Secondly, I used large magnum rifle primers. They generate a fairly decent pop and ya need all the room you can get to let that pop get in that case fast and unrestricted.

Step 2: LIGHTLY grease or anti-sieze 1/2" of the end of a glue stick and push it in a SIZED case with a twisting motion. The stick should go all the way to the bottom of the case. Turn the case upside down and check. You can see the end of the stick through that gaping 5/32 hole.

Step 3: cut the stick off flush and square with the case mouth. I used a utility knife with a new blade.

Step 4: Prime the case with the most powerful primer you have on hand that fits. As I mentioned, I used a large magnum rifle primer. LMR primers are .013 longer than pistol primers, but I found that if I give the handle a little extra pressure, it'll seat to flush.
NOTE: If you prime first, then seat the "bullet", the greased stick will back out of the case due to the air pressure that builds in the case. It's kinda' weird to sit there and watch the stick back out by itself!

That's it! Lock and load! I shot a few straight up just for fun and was amazed at the results. For the first hunnerd feet or so, I couldn't see the bullet. Then it appeared in flight as it slowed down. Then I lost sight of it again! I'm guessin' it went 3 or 4 hunnerd feet up.

If ya' AIN'T got a .45 caliber handgun, you ain't left out of this exclusive club of the Glue Shooters Society. Pick a mold for your favorite caliber and swipe a can of PAM outa' Moma's kitchen. You're on your own on this one. "Senator, I have no recollection of that incident and cannot confirm those allegations".

Now, you guys that worship your molds as if they are gods, don't freak out and start lookin' for a rope. PAM is easily removed and the world ain't gonna split in half and explode 'cause I suggested you spray PAM on your mold. Give the cavity area and the top of the sprue plate a light application and go plug in your glue gun. When the glue is hot, stick the nozzle of the gun through the spue hole and start pumpin'. And be quick about it! The cool mold will cause the glue to congeal fast. Hold the handles of the mold TIGHT. The hydraulic pressure of the glue being forced into the mold will seperate the blocks. When you feel the nozzle of the gun being backed out by this pressure, back out with it. You'll get a little "runny nose" snot on the sprue plate. Just wipe the dribble off on the sprue plate and head for the next cavity.
I did not time the cooling sequence. I'm guessin 'bout 2 to 3 minutes. When you break the mold open, you'll have to pull the bullet outa' one block. Any finning can be trimmed with your utility knife.
Best way to lube these glue bullets is put a little grease or Yellow 77 wire lube in the palm of your hand and give 'em a quick roll between your hands. If you're prissy and can't stand that greasy feeling on your hands, go change your panties get a pair of latex exam gloves.

Well, Sir, there ya' have it. I just revolutionized the shooting world.

Y'all come back now, ya' hear?:-D

RayinNH
03-18-2007, 10:37 AM
And very well explained too, Jim...Ray

R.M.
03-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Hey Jim, great write-up.
I've tried something like this, only using wax. I took and melted some canning or candle wax (can't remember which) and poured it into a tin pie plate to about 1/4" thick. After it sets up, just push primed cases of you favorite caliber, cookie-cutter like, into the wax and pull them out. The wax should stay in the case. I can't say that I've tried it for any kind of accuracy, but the kids thought it was cool shooting a 44 magnum in the garage.

R.M.

44woody
03-18-2007, 11:32 AM
I only have one question that is what will John law say about shooting glue bullets in the back yard for practice I really would hate to here of anyone going to jail for just shooting glue bullets does anyone have any thoughts on this inquiring minds would like to know :castmine: 44Woody

woodman51jfk
03-18-2007, 01:32 PM
.......I think I'm gonna hafta become a member of this Glue Shooters Society......just fer the sake of keepin' the ol' lady's cats on thier toes..........just kiddin guys....sheesh.
As far as the law, most of the "letter of the law" types will nail ya for "illegal discharge of a firearm", since that is technically the offense, however, those of us who were/are " spirit of the law" types would probly chuckle then try it out at home for ourselves.......you'll have to be the judge of your LEOs attitudes in your neck of the woods.............JIMHO...$.02

............and they say college don't pay off.:Fire: .....way to go Doug & Jim.........:drinks:

Ricochet
03-18-2007, 02:17 PM
I might have to give this a try in the .44 Walker. With a full load of powder.

Nelsdou44
03-18-2007, 03:59 PM
For you guys with CZ-52's, the Lee C309-180-R makes a perfect hot glue "boolit" length with the boolit base resting against the primer. Just keep the bore lubed....

Nels

Jim
03-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Woodman51jfk,
Since dk17hmr came up with the original idea, he's the president of the chapter. [smilie=1: I'm layin' claim to VP since I did all the research and development. Wanna be the Master At Arms? :roll:

Jim
VP, GSS :Fire:

Jim
03-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Ricochet,
Give some thought to a full power load. The instantaneous heat might melt the glue before the slug gets down the barrel. I'd hate to see what that looks like.
My advice: Slick the "bullet" and the barrel and, as always, work up slow.

Ricochet
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Hmmm, that could be messy.

woodman51jfk
03-18-2007, 08:49 PM
....you got it......this here first assembly of the Glue Shooters Society is now officially organazized and called to general disorder:drinks: ....let the Glooblits fly.:Fire: ........

Big Guy To Make Folks Behavin'

woodman51jfk
03-18-2007, 08:53 PM
ricochet............that might get a look or two.........gloppy gooey hot slime come dribblin' outta yer barrel.............to quote my daughter....eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwww!

joatmon
03-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Mabe black and a overpowder wad in that walker. I'll have ta try the old army, and here I was worried about running outa lead!

Ricochet
03-18-2007, 10:06 PM
Actually, what I've mainly got in mind is something analogous to the wooden bullet blanks used by a number of European armies in the past. Something to produce sufficient resistance to adequately burn the powder to make a big bang, that won't go a long way and cause harm at a distance. (I know they'd be extremely dangerous up close.) No amount of tissue paper that can be rammed in over 60 grains of Pyrodex really works well, and wax is too fragile for ramming.

Hackleback
03-18-2007, 11:03 PM
The wife has some mini glue sticks that look to be just rhe right size for the 8mm. They are marked as .280 dia. I may have to play with thisas well.

Buckshot
03-19-2007, 03:59 AM
...............Back years ago, just after we could drive, my buddy and I used to shoot cigarette butts at each other out of our cap n balls. I had a 36 cal copy of a Leech & Rigedon and his was a brass framed 44 cal. They were only good for about 15 ft.

So what kind of accuracy are you getting with these glue stick Gloobits? As was suggested I'd bet a cardwad under the thing would be a positive.

................Buckshot

Jim
03-19-2007, 06:00 AM
I can hit a cardboard box that's just big enough to slip over a 5 gallon bucket('bout 12 X 12) from about 25 or 30 feet away. Now, bear in mind, the fit between the gluelit and the riflings is an interference fit(moves with force applied by hand). If you take the time to cast the bullet in an appropriate mold, the fit will be a press fit(requires mechanical or hydraulic pressure to move). That will add some resistance, but lubing with a light coat of grease of anti-sieze will let it slip. If the gluelit is forced down onto the primer and the primer is hot enough, you just might get a decent little group going there. I bet it would sting the crap out of a cat! :twisted:

Jim

Lloyd Smale
03-19-2007, 06:13 AM
be careful lubing them with anti sieze. Some of it is abrasive.

scottiemom
03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
now I know what happened to my bag of glue sticks......oh well, this sounds promising and would allow my sweetie and me to practice in my back yard - as long as I remember to lock up the cat that is!!

Jim
03-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Here, kittie, kittie!
Just kidding, Scottie.
Loyd, are you sure you're not thinking about lapping compound? That's got grit in it. Anti-sieze compound has graphite powder in it, not carborundum grit. It's slicker'n snot on a doorknob.

dk17hmr
03-19-2007, 05:58 PM
I get as good of accuracy with my mold formed bullets as I do with my lead formed bullets. I shoot mine in the garage at a box of old outdoor life mags at less then 6 yards.

joatmon
03-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Postal Match?

Jim
03-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Joatmon,
Thanks for the smile early in the morning!:-D

Jim

Lloyd Smale
03-20-2007, 06:23 AM
check the ingrediants on your antisieze alot of it has aluminum in it. For a while I got the bright ideal that a little of it woud be great added to bullet lube but was set straight by someone on here.
Here, kittie, kittie!
Just kidding, Scottie.
Loyd, are you sure you're not thinking about lapping compound? That's got grit in it. Anti-sieze compound has graphite powder in it, not carborundum grit. It's slicker'n snot on a doorknob.